Author Topic: Sharpening your hooks  (Read 550 times)

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sharpening your hooks
« on: Nov 28, 2011, 02:31 PM »
maybe this is dumb question, but how do you guys go about sharpening your hooks?  I got one of these: http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Diamond-Edge-Hook-File/product/10213882/76562 It has a corse and smooth side, with a "channel" for the hook to run through
I do o.k. with single hooks, the larger ones are easier, but I can only seem to sharpen the "backside" (outside) of the hook...I can't really run the 'inside' of the barbed part down the file unless I'm missing something??
And that says nothing of tiny ice fishing hooks and trebles...is there a method I'm missing?
Tight lines

surflizard

Re: Sharpening your hooks
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Berkley makes a battery powered line stripper/ sharpener, it does a good job for 8 or 9 bucks, I use my dremel, the stone bits are $1.79 ea !

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2011, 03:32 PM »
My ice jigs and walleye hooks I use a Berkley Tech sharpener, about the size of a pencil and has a vice on it to hold small jigs, my big baits I use a file....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:49 PM »
I use the Eze-Lap pen style hook sharpener.  It's small enough for those small hooks.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:16 PM »
I use the Eze-Lap pen style hook sharpener.  It's small enough for those small hooks.
+1
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.