Author Topic: Eskimo or Strikemaster??  (Read 8027 times)

Offline TinmanDon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "LeGyver"
Eskimo or Strikemaster??
« on: Jan 23, 2011, 03:37 PM »
so I'm in the market for a new 10" auger and can't decide on an Eskimo Shark Z71 or Strikemaster Lazer Mag. Both use new engines, Viper and Solo. Which engine is better? What are the pros and cons of both? I have an Eskimo Barracuda 8" now (Tecumseh engine) and it's a great auger, just want to upgrade to something newer and bigger. thanks in advance

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo or Strikemaster??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:18 PM »
Ive got a Strike Master Laser Mag 8" with the chinese Solo and Im not overly impressed with it now Ive really run it through its paces. I can be really hard starting at times and the blades really ice up bad and Im always having to chip them off. I beleieve the Eskimo uses chinese made motors as well...crap in my opinion. I'd check out Nils or Rapala augers if you can find them.

Cheers!!

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:58 PM »
I have heard good things about the Viper engines from a few guys that have them. I wouldn't give up what you got, though, if possible, keep it for a back up. 

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:16 PM »
here is a vid I made a year or 2 ago.....10" eskimo Z71 and 18" of ice in 12 seconds......I dont have to push down at all. The auger does everything. It starts on the 1st or 2nd pull 90% of the time, warms up fast, and cruises through the ice. 3 of my fishing buddies now own the same augers after using mine. GET THE ESKIMO!!!!!!!!! its an awesome engine! They do use a jap viper engine. Its the only thing I hate about the auger is that its not an american engine.....But not many of them do have american engines.

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/teamlund/?action=view&current=augervid001.flv
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:40 PM »
Strikemaster SUX!Chinese POS!
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:28 AM »
Which of the big three don't use Chinese powerheads now? Eskimo does too ...... ::)
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2011, 02:17 PM »

Wow, what an insightful, informative post... ::)

Strikemaster Lazer Pro with the good Made in Swedan blades works awsome.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2011, 01:40 PM »
eskimo all the way.after using my z71 eskimo shark, my brother who loves his SM said that he liked the eskimo better than his lazer mag.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Wow, what an insightful, informative post... ::)

Strikemaster Lazer Pro with the good Made in Swedan blades works awsome.

Until the plastic handles break, or the recoil doesn't rewind because of too much grease in them from the factory, or the composite gear housing breaks....you don't hear about those problems with an eskimo (and NO, I don't own an Eskimo)...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:50 PM »
grow up, stop playing with toys, and buy an eskimo.........

Offline all out nuts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2011, 01:51 PM »
Bought a strike master 3 years ago . Had nothing but motor issues .
Got rid of it and bought a Jiffy . Hated it . Spent more time changing plugs than fishing .
Bought an Eskimo last year , Havent had an issue yet with it . Love it . Its a little slower than others but takes no effort to
drill thru 10-12" . (no downward pressure)
Definately reccommend .

Offline Lightman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2011, 03:48 PM »
This is the third season I have had my Strikemaster Lazer Mag 2 stroke. I think it was last year that they switched to the solo motors, not sure the make of mine but I don't think it's domestic. I have to say I really like the auger. It starts on the first or second pull consistently, and cuts fast with zero downward pressure required. Some production runs of this auger came with some crappy blades, mine included..which were replaced free by strikemaster with the swedish blades. It cuts like a dream. No issues to speak of other than a bit of oily discharge from the exhaust hole.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:21 PM »
I have the Z71 Eskimo with the 10" bit,  I have finally gotten the priming down to where I do not flood the engine, starts on the 1-2 pull every time and the more I use it the engine seems to get broken in more and it just cuts faster every time.  

oh and blades are alot cheaper on the eskimo than the laser bits, this was a deciding factor for me since we have so much wind out here sand and rocks can get blown on the ice and freeze in where you cannot see them.
Don

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:31 PM »
I have the Z71 Eskimo with the 10" bit,  I have finally gotten the priming down to where I do not flood the engine, starts on the 1-2 pull every time and the more I use it the engine seems to get broken in more and it just cuts faster every time.  

oh and blades are alot cheaper on the eskimo than the laser bits, this was a deciding factor for me since we have so much wind out here sand and rocks can get blown on the ice and freeze in where you cannot see them.

To start mine I hit the primer once, no choke, and it will start first pull 90% of the time.... A monkey could start mine...Mine is on its 3rd season and it still cuts like butter.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:15 PM »
 I just bought the Eskimo Mako M43. I have only drilled ten holes with it so far,but it goes through 12" of ice in no time. It has plenty of power and starts very easy. I have the 8" model but they do offer the Mako in a 10". The one of the best part of my Mako was the price $251!!! Brand new on sale. I was impressed with the quality of the auger. There are not many plastic parts on the auger. My only complaint is the kill switch. It is small and not easy to use with big gloves on. Buy an Eskimo!! You will be glad you did!
 Good Luck!
  Matt

Offline TinmanDon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "LeGyver"
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:52 PM »
well I purchased a Strikemaster Pro Lazer, used it on Saturday and so far I'm impressed, starts good, runs good, cuts thru 3' of ice wickedly fast, has tons of power and it's also pretty light, time will tell how it holds up

Offline truckhuntfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You'll have that
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:59 AM »
I have a mako 10 in , it does turn a little slower than a friend of mines SM but when we drilled side by side holes , there was about a 5 second difference (he beat me)  I don't know if 5 seconds means that much to you but i would get the eskimo just for price alone. (mine was 260 new)
-Truckin , Huntin , and Fishin , That's how I roll

Ha Haa Haaa  Did that hurt right away ???

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:02 AM »
I just bought the Eskimo Mako M43. I have only drilled ten holes with it so far,but it goes through 12" of ice in no time. It has plenty of power and starts very easy. I have the 8" model but they do offer the Mako in a 10". The one of the best part of my Mako was the price $251!!! Brand new on sale. I was impressed with the quality of the auger. There are not many plastic parts on the auger. My only complaint is the kill switch. It is small and not easy to use with big gloves on. Buy an Eskimo!! You will be glad you did!
 Good Luck!
  Matt

i too purcahsed an Eskimo Mako 8" new (and on sale 279) for this season. It is my first gas auger, and i have cut over 200 holes this season with it no prob. It has been a great piece of equiptment so far.

Offline Lightman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:52 PM »
If there's one thing I can tell you from experience, chicks dig strikemaster augers. There is no need for fancy designer handbags, foreign cars, etc....if you have a lazer mag.   Their power is immense.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:36 PM »
 Does the Lazer have more power or is it just a faster gear ratio? The last time I checked if you drilled a hole 5 seconds faster than an Eskimo it still was $140 more for the Lazer. Guess it gives me more money for the fancy designer handbags! The chicks are happy and so am I. Guess the Eskimo gives you a win win situation! LOL!
 Tight Lines!
  Matt

If there's one thing I can tell you from experience, chicks dig strikemaster augers. There is no need for fancy designer handbags, foreign cars, etc....if you have a lazer mag.   Their power is immense.

Offline Lightman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Matt, you win, I have been one-upped! I was really just joking around. The eskimo may very well be better. I love my eskimo escape shanty. I just have nothing but good things to say about my auger cuz it rips thru holes quickly and easily and starts easily too.. I'm sure other brands are just as good.

Does the Lazer have more power or is it just a faster gear ratio? The last time I checked if you drilled a hole 5 seconds faster than an Eskimo it still was $140 more for the Lazer. Guess it gives me more money for the fancy designer handbags! The chicks are happy and so am I. Guess the Eskimo gives you a win win situation! LOL!
 Tight Lines!
  Matt

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:08 PM »
 I was joking as well! Hey got to have fun!
 Matt

Matt, you win, I have been one-upped! I was really just joking around. The eskimo may very well be better. I love my eskimo escape shanty. I just have nothing but good things to say about my auger cuz it rips thru holes quickly and easily and starts easily too.. I'm sure other brands are just as good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.