Author Topic: Paul's "really cool" UL whip-up design  (Read 29130 times)

P Gottshall

Paul's "really cool" UL whip-up design
« on: Dec 22, 2004, 05:06 PM »
It's amazing what you can do with a mouse-trap. . . ;)

Here’s my ultra-sensitive whip-up design.  You purist jiggers should just move on (just kidding!)

I was intrigued by Slammerman's “Slammer Tip-Up” design.  I’ve stared at it for days, & wondered how I could make it more sensitive, as central-IL Crappies probably don’t hit hard enough to trip it.  His design is a good one, but I think aimed at bigger fish.

What I need is an ultra-sensitive trip mechanism.  Talking with my Dad, we came up with “mouse-trap”.  A mouse trap has a tremendous amount of force, but can be setoff by a mouse weighing almost nothing, kind of like a Crappie bite.

So here’s the design we came up with.  I’m using a 30” medium Walleye rod, so don’t think this will be too dangerous, other than snapping my fingers in the trap.  My biggest concern is that I’ll rip through the Crappies’ mouths.  If I do I’ll go to a lighter rod.

Note that I tie-wrapped the trap on, so it will be easy to change when necessary, as at $0.25 each, they do tend to fly apart.

Next, I need to figure out how to trip the trigger when Crappies “lift” the bait, as they usually do. . .

This thing works excellent.

Too much time on my hands with no ice,
Paul

The only trick is wrapping the line around the hold-down arm, so that a slight tug on the line will cause the trap to snap, releasing the pole.  Here’s a close-up sketch:

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re: Paul's "really cool" UL whip-up design
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2004, 05:10 PM »
Cool. Have you tried this at all on big lakers?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2004, 05:16 PM »
i cant believe it someone finally built a better mouse trap!!

P Gottshall

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2004, 05:30 PM »
billditrite,

No lakers in cental-IL.  I expect it will work especially well on Catfish through the ice, & hopefully Crappies with a lighter rod & the trap set super-sensitive.

Paul

Offline country boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2004, 06:28 PM »
Paul , that whip-up is a killer. Can't wait for my wife to see me make this one. Now she will know there is something wrong with me!!!! thanks

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2004, 06:39 PM »
NIce job,it looks good to me. :o

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2004, 07:11 PM »
I am impressed.  Yes... impressed

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2004, 08:45 PM »
that is such a cool idea!!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

P Gottshall

« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2004, 09:36 PM »
That's a good question; you've obviously really looked at it!

The "flipper" never lays flat enough on the wood to actually catch the line.  Plus, as the flipper is coming over, I think it will tend to throw the line off the hold-down-arm.  Of course it actually happens too fast for me to see.  I just know I've tried this many times, & the line has never gotten caught.

If the line could get caught, I suspect the snap of the pole will pull it free.  As long as you're not using 2lb line, you should be fine.

Paul

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2004, 11:16 PM »
man thats cool
the only thing is if you hook a big one the rod tip will pull down and over the trap
possibly break the tip off
but awesome for light biting perch kids would love to see a fish strike and the hook set.
what would happen if you let the line from the rod tip go down to the hook and say at water level you tie on a short piece of line run that up to the mouse trap and loop the line around the trip wire I think it would give a better hook set and if the fish ran with the hook and line the short piece could go with it. the only thing is that short line may get tangled when you reel in

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2004, 08:14 AM »
I want to know how do you set this thing with cold hands! I think its cool but I can already hear a lot of cussing comeing out of fish shacks when someone gets their fingers caught in it  ;D. Just a little help with this Paul. put a small block of wood or elect tape on the spring loaded trapping device so it can not catch the line it will trip on it leaving a gap so the line will pull out from under it without catching the line. Maybe I will try to use this Idea except I will put the mouse trap on my line and send it down the hole and catch those lite biters :D.
Coldfeet

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2004, 09:04 AM »
It definately looks like somebody  ( no name mentioned here) has got WAY too much time on his hands .

trapperdirk

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2004, 05:44 PM »
Icefishermen are geniuses . I'm sure this will get some modifications to suit but I think we got a winner here lads . ;D Hats off to P.Gotshall our latest inventor .

TD

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2004, 07:38 PM »
Man that thing needs to be illegal...Poor fish aren't going to have a chance. ;D ;D ;D :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:
Way to go Paul.
Tight Lines
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2004, 07:46 PM »
[quote
I was intrigued by Fishin Musician’s “Slammer Tip-Up” design. 

excuse me?? ... who's Slammer Tip-Up design??

Fishin' Musician's device was copied after an illustration which I drew and designed for IN-Fisherman back in 1995. They called it a "Steelie Slammer" in the article by mistake. We were field-testing that design at the time and they didn't survive our "Polish downhill snomobile & sled loaded with gear wipe-out" test. The Slammer Tip-Ups that we sold that year through Virgil's Steelhead & Salmon Tackle Specialties were of a revised design.

You DO have too much time (and PVC) on your hands Paul. Keep us informed how your rod-holders work under real fishing conditions on the ice.

You need to think of an original name for it - maybe the Gott-Trap??

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

P Gottshall

« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2004, 09:59 AM »
Guys,

Thanks for the comments.  Yes I have had a lot of time on my hands, but now we have 4in in cental-IL!  Out of the garage, & into my Scout for the next couple months. ;D

If anyone has an idea for a more robust trip-mechanism, I'd love to hear it.  I bought a "yo-yo" reel off ebay for $2, which has a similarly-sensitive trip.  Mayber there's an idea there. . .

Slammerman - I didn't know where the original Steelie-Slammer design came from, but saw a post of a homemade one here, which I referenced.  Credit to you for a great design on that one!  - check your pm's.

Merry Christ-mas everyone, & keep your fingers out of the trap!
Paul

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2004, 06:04 PM »
i just finished reading the article about slammers in the january New England Game & Fish.good article 10 for 10 on pike is phenominal!!

Offline brian-in-CT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2004, 08:33 PM »
 Paul-
  Fantastic!!  I have built the "Slammer" style but worry about the force with which the rod whips up.  This design seems to put the rod under a little less pressure and might be safer where small children roam the ice.  I am very interested in getting some dimensions in terms of how high is the rod-holder end?  How high is the trap-holding end?  What is the distance between the posts and roughly how much PVC did you need to make 1 trap?

I am always looking for new ways to use a rod and reel in a tip-up fashion and this one needs to be tried.  THanks for posting!

Brian

Offline Goz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2004, 07:41 AM »
paul thats cool  its a great design
so many fish so little time

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2005, 10:39 PM »
Good design paul. If you don't mind i think i might adapt that same design somewhat to a wood design to make it possibly adjustable and more stable. I had a problem with a lot of pike hitting tipups with a single fathead minnow for big perch and i think it would be fun to try to catch one on a panfish rod.

P Gottshall

« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2005, 12:16 PM »
Modify away!!  I don't mind at all.  I like to post ideas that will get other people thinking, to see what feedback I get, & what ideas people have for improvements.  I work in the (electrical) engineering world, & know that the best idea is rarely the first idea.  We also live with the NIH syndrome (Not-Invented-Here), where a lot of people feel attacked if someone tries to improve their idea.   ;)  Not me! Go for it!  All I ask is that you share your improvements here!

I tend to make stuff out of PVC, as it's cheap & easy to work with, but it's not necessarily the best choice.  It can be brittle & bulky.  I've also been thinking of building this out of wood, as I'd like it to fold up so it fits in my shanty a little better, plus I have an idea for a more-robust trigger mechanism.

When I do, I'll post a pic.  I'd appreciate you doing the same!

Good luck,
Paul

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2005, 12:47 PM »
no problem. after i build it I'll post a picture. I dont know how much i'll be able to improve on it but i'll give it my best go. i look forward to see your next design.

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2005, 02:44 PM »
I built one last night and that thing is awsome,showed everyone at work they loved it!!!! :o :o :oI am going to try to modify mine so you dont have to use the mouse trap(dont like the idea of cold broken fingers and all).I will let you know how it works and post some pics if I an find someone to do it,is posting pics hard?

trapperdirk

« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2005, 04:34 PM »
How about trying this with a simple downrigger release . ??? Might be a tad easier on the fingys . :-\

TD

P Gottshall

« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2005, 06:18 PM »
Machinist,

Kinda' fun isn't it?

Posting pic's is relatively easy.  See http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=5732.msg49398#msg49398

Instead of sharemation.com, I strongly recommend photobucket.com.

I'd love to see what you do in place of the mousetrap!

Good luck!
Paul

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2005, 10:01 PM »
HAAaaa  i made one last week!  My wife looked at me and said, "you have GOT to be kidding me."!!   nope, just a litte nutty, honey.... hahhahahaha..  It works great!!  you can 'bend' the trigger on the trap to get a very fine set.. only problem   damaged fingers!  i took it out last Thursday, set it up, had people wondering what the heck that 'thing' was..  hahaha....    we had light biters that night so it never 'went off' ..  but the days coming when I catch that first fish...  my Dad will laugh all night until we get home... guaranteed.. and that's what it's allll about!!  hahahhaahha.. have fun! (and pray for ice!)    thanks Paul!! or Slammer.. or whoever..  I'd like to see the modification..  if I can think of something I'll post it..
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

hali-man

« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2005, 11:56 PM »
Are all inventors schizophrenic?
Or is it just me?   :P

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2005, 05:49 AM »
Trapperdirk I thought of that but have never used one so I didnt know how light it could be set.If they can be set light the I will try one.BACK TO THE LABORATORY HA HA HA HA HA HA(EVIL LAUGH) ;D ;D

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2005, 08:36 AM »
could you post the dimensions of this.  What size is the PVC?

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2005, 03:49 PM »
O.K. I am done with my mods to this fish catchin machine!!!I will try to post some pics in e few days when I get a chance.what I did was instead of the mouse trap I used two L screws that are used to hang picture frames with(the little brass ones)and screwed them to the t end that had the mouse trap on it so the hook would hold the rod tip bent over and the other one you drape the line over so it pulls the rod tip off from the other L hook and the bent over rod does the rest(setting the hook).The best thing about this set up is no busted nuckles/fingers to worry about and that you can set the sensitivity of the strike by turning the hook that holds the rod tip down,I have a 1/16 ounce worm wieght on the end of the string and it will set off the rod if you let it drop abouta 1/4 t a 1/2 an inch from the line being slack,or you can set it heavy for bigger minnows and such.Like said I will take some pictures and try to post them if I have any problems I will email them to somebody if they would help.The only problem is that there is hardly any ice hear and I cant wait to test it,the weather also lookes like it is giong to hit record highs this week to!!! >:( >:(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.