Author Topic: Red Shirt Lake  (Read 1720 times)

Offline jmoneyjock

• IceShanty Rookie
Red Shirt Lake
« on: Jan 06, 2017, 02:17 PM »
So I am debating a trip up to Red shirt when I get back into town, has anyone been out there this year, or have any advice if it's even worth hiking back in there.  I've heard there is lakers and northerns in there, and would love to get some pike.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Red Shirt Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:48 PM »
So I am debating a trip up to Red shirt when I get back into town, has anyone been out there this year, or have any advice if it's even worth hiking back in there.  I've heard there is lakers and northerns in there, and would love to get some pike.

Never heard of anybody ever catching anything in there but pike in the last 20 years or so.  Although I know there used to burbot in there and some other species so I suppose it is possible there are some lakers in there.  But ever since the pike got introduced into that lake it pretty much wiped out any other species that lived there.  The pike fishing can be good in there though.  I've caught plenty of hammer handles and even a few pike up to 30-36" long. 

Offline berto

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Red Shirt Lake
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:46 PM »
I've been fishing Red Shirt through the ice every winter for 10 years...Never caught a laker or seen/heard of anyone else catching a laker.  I believe the pike have reduced the trout population to zero.

There are burbot, but not many.

February is the slowest time of year for pike on Red Shirt...Better to wait until March.

Best of luck when you go!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.