Author Topic: Good day in the valley  (Read 1425 times)

Offline jeffv

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Good day in the valley
« on: Dec 25, 2004, 12:11 AM »
Don't know if it was the high pressure system or what.  Just hammered the Char today on a little lake north of Palmer.  Could not believe the size, I put two back over 18", and several in the 12-14" range.   Kept four in about that same range.  Just about ready to leave and hooked into a dandy.  First time I have had a fish tear off line under the ice, finally got him through the hole, he basically inhaled my lure and was bleeding from the gills, so I ended up keeping him. Measured right at 26", filleted him out like a silver.   The big difference today was depth I think.  I usually fish in 12-15 ft of water.  Today I said the heck with it and went to the deepest spot in the lake, which was about 40 ft. 

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
Re: Good day in the valley
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2004, 03:57 PM »
Hey Jeffy:

First off... how did you get away with going fishing on Christmas Day?  My guess, you are not married and do not have kids.  Good job on the catch.  I'm in Palmer myself so I'm curious as to what lake you were fishing on?  I'm thinking Seventeen Mile perhaps?  I have only fished Big Lake this year.  My best was a 23 inch dolly and a couple bows in the 15-17 inch range.  caught those in about 5 FOW.  Were you actually fishing near the bottom in 40 FOW?  Any time you need some one to fish with, send me a message and we can meet up.

Icy Mike

Offline jeffv

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2004, 02:47 AM »
Hi Mike,

It was actually on the 24th, I just posted the note shortly after midnight.  Christmas would not have worked, I have 3 kids who I take out with me when the weather is decent, they don't last long in the real cold stuff.  Usually take them to Memory lake when you can drive on the ice, that way they can get in and warm up.  They have fun with the landlocks in there.

It was right at about 40 ft, at least according to my F & G lake map.  I was probably about 3 ft off the bottom.  Jigging about 6", when i could feel them just bumping it, i would reel up really quick about 5 ft and stop..then they were just hammering it.

I will probably be going out again in a couple weeks, will leave a message for you.  Have you ever fished Long Lake on the Glenn?  I was reading up on the place, sounds like it would be pretty good, even have some Burbot in there.  Take care.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2004, 01:11 PM »
I didn't realize Memory Lake was that deep.  I have done OK on the trout and dollies in there but nothing spectacular.  My kids and I went to Long Lake once last year but the wind kept knocking them over and had to leave before the fishing started.  Some buddies and myself are planning a trip up there for some overnite burbot fishing.  There are supposed to be some decent lakers in there as well.

Icy Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.