Author Topic: TOO BAD YOU CANT ICEFISH FOR HALIBUT.  (Read 1361 times)

Offline ted

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
TOO BAD YOU CANT ICEFISH FOR HALIBUT.
« on: Dec 13, 2004, 10:57 PM »
THAT WOULD BE ONE HECK OF A GOOD TIME IF YOU DIDNT GET PULLED IN.
When in doubt  Spud your way out !!!!

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
Re: TOO BAD YOU CANT ICEFISH FOR HALIBUT.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2004, 08:11 PM »
you would need one heck of a big hole, too :o

fish_slayer

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2004, 01:12 AM »
you could fish for them with a big square hole, like for sturgeon, and use a regular rod and reel rig that is used in open water, take a guess at what they like for bait, and have fun.  actually thats a bad idea because you would get pulled in on the slippery ice, and it is very dangerous, I have not tried it, and I don't want to try, its just an idea about an idea

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2004, 01:24 AM »
There is still a spearing season for sturgeon in Wisconsin through the ice.  Usually in Feb.  I never tried it when I lived there.  Most of the water here for halibut never freezes.  Given the tides and the warm Japanese current that runs through most of the southern coast.  Not to mention the winter weather around the coastline can be awfully nasty.  I commercial fished out of Seward a few times for Halibut.  Usually went out in April and September.  You would never catch me on those waters if they ever froze.  Up in the Nome/Noatak area they ice fish the salt water for cod fish and pollack (I think).  Some day I would like to give that a shot.  I have a job that sometimes sends me out into the bush communities and I hope to some day end up in the small village of Kobuk or Kiana to fish for sheefish through the ice.  Someday... Someday...

Icy Mike

fish_slayer

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2004, 09:33 PM »
someday it will happen

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.