Author Topic: Awsome Saturday blue gills galore!  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
Awsome Saturday blue gills galore!
« on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:10 AM »
Hit mantua, got into a bunch of blue gills, couldn't keep em off the hook, we threw back 3x more than we kept. then i beer battered and fried them at home!  good stuff.  I had never tried bluegills before, i was very pleased, it is such a sweet tender fish, even better than perch. 

Edited: because i don't know my panfish, they were bluegills not crappie.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Awsome Saturday Slab hunting!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:04 AM »

Hit mantua, got into a bunch of slab Crappie, couldn't keep em off the hook, we threw back 3x more than we kept. then i beer battered and fried them at home!  good stuff.  I had never tried crappie before, i was very pleased, it is such a sweet tender fish, even better than perch. 

Just for the record, the fish pictured are Bluegill (sunfish), not crappie.  ;)

Very nice catch though, and they are are very tasty fillets (more so than crappie IMO). I'm a big fan of 'gills obviously.

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Awsome Saturday Slab hunting!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Just for the record, the fish pictured are Bluegill (sunfish), not crappie.  ;)

Very nice catch though, and they are are very tasty fillets (more so than crappie IMO). I'm a big fan of 'gills obviously.

Yeah i was totally wrong, you can tell how much panfishing i've done...  i changed it.  i will be panfishing a lot more now though, they were friggin awesome tasting. 

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Awsome Saturday blue gills galore!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:46 AM »
they are really that good? I have been hesitant to try em but maybe I will give it a shot this yr... nice catch!
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:50 AM »
caught just about all the fresh water fish there are. none of them compare to a blue gill or sunny. they are a very dominant fish. nice catch.

Offline icemanwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:58 PM »
That is awesome those gills are so tasty, there my favorite . thanks for sharing nice catch

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Nice job! ;)

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:01 PM »

they are really that good? I have been hesitant to try em but maybe I will give it a shot this yr... nice catch!

If I'm fishing for a fish fry, I'll take a pile of panfish over a stringer of trout, bass, other every time.

For those that haven't tried them, YES, they really are quite good. My personal favorite is yellow perch, while my wife prefers sunfish (bluegills and pumpkinseeds). Crappies, eh… fun to catch, but a little different taste in my opinion. We ate some White Bass from Utah Lake last summer and they were not only very tasty, but surprisingly strong fighters. I've since come to find out that eating fish from Utah Lake is not something you want to be doing on a regular basis… too bad, because it is loaded with them.

All species mentioned are typically cooperative through the ice and can be easily filleted… white, flaky meat… delicious.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:22 PM »
I have to agree with Dizzy; perch may be a notch higher but I love me some bluegill fillets!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2011, 11:50 PM »
Very nice!

Offline hardwater68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2011, 11:55 PM »
 although they are great fried please try them steamed, they are ten times more sweet, I tried this method last year and vowed to never fry them again.
remember the 7 p's, proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:28 AM »
although they are great fried please try them steamed, they are ten times more sweet, I tried this method last year and vowed to never fry them again.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the process with steaming? I will give it a try! Thanks ;)

Offline hardwater68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:37 AM »
 my wife has a steamer for one of her sauce pans, basically put the fish in a pan with holes in it above boiling water. They are cooked (white) in two mins or so, turn them to cook both sides. I put them in freezer to cool(your preference) then eat as is or with cocktail sauce. I think the flavour is far Superior to a fried fish and way better for you. No I'm not a heath not at 5'10" and 275
remember the 7 p's, proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2011, 08:01 AM »
Thanks! I also am no spring chicken when it comes to being in shape. ;D 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.