Author Topic: spray on scent  for Pike Fishing?  (Read 15437 times)

Doug_Mineo

spray on scent  for Pike Fishing?
« on: Jan 30, 2002, 03:36 PM »
Does anyone use a spray on scent (Fish attractant) on pike bait, it seems they have a keen sense of smell and this might help. yet I havent heard anyone talk about it. do you pro pike hunters out there have any tricks.  

Eric

Re: spray on scent  for Pike Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2002, 06:52 AM »
you could keep you dead minnows, dice em up and use them for chumming ot in a chum bag/bucket. this, of course, all depends on you state regs. like here in WI we cant chum but you can use a container or mesh bag that is retrievable when through fishing. just pop a hole in the middle of your tip-up set up and drop it down, shake it every once in awhile.

Doug_Mineo

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2002, 12:44 PM »
Thanks Eric, but I was thinking more in the line of a spray on scent to spray or dip your minnow in . to get the human scent off the bait.

Offline JK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • retired fish N Pa.to New York
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2002, 12:46 PM »
I think flash and noise is much more important.  Add a spinner blade to your bait.  jk

Doug_Mineo

« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2002, 10:37 AM »
John, tell me more about the flash and noise, were do you place the blade? what color, how big ect ect, and the noise? do you mean a minnow that is making noise or do you do something in particular to attract to Pike. Thanks Doug

Offline JK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2002, 06:18 PM »
Doug (thanks kevin for showing me how to register) in a previous post I tried to explain my rig, I have tried to design many but this works the best for me.  For big fish 35 and over you need suckers11-12 inches, take a foot long piece of single strand #2 wire tie one a treble hook on each end so they are 8ish inches apart. Hook this into the shoulder and into the tail of the fish and put in bait bucket, doesn't make to big of a mess when you relocate which I do constantly.  To my tip up line I tie 5 feet of #12XT, to the end of this I tie one of my all season wire leaders for pike and muskie18" of #2 wire with a small swivel on one end and a snap one the other, after hole is made and I am satisfied with the location take out bait (careful) and snap on the tip up wire leader to the center of the bait wire.  Now for the noise and the flash, small snap swivel and the largest blade you can buytie together and snap on the bait wire behind the leader wire to you line,  I am a bad explainer but right now it sounds clear to me Oh I snip of most of the tail  oh something else.  a week ago I noticed some had trouble with big baits on the polar tip ups, the oval loop you put your line through so the spool will rotate, take pliers and bend it so the two pieces are tightly together and force your line in there.  also orthodontic elastics from braces can be added to the spinner on top of the ipup to make it harder to release.  Boy this last part doesn't sound to good but I tried...jk

Offline JK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2002, 06:22 PM »
something else, in pa you are allowed 5 rigs and in NY 5 tip ups and 2 jiggers.  Make another hole near each tipup and jig with those large magnum rattletraps. tie a 1/4 or 3/8 ouncelead sinker to the front hook and rip it up real hard=lot os noise.  This I havent tried yet but is my latest addition....jk

Mr.Esox

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2002, 07:42 AM »
I've used scent for both tigers and pike especially on dead bait.Berkley use to sell northern+muskie scent and doctor juice still sells it.It can't hurt to use it.I have had results with and without. What neck of the woods are you fishing in.N.Y. and New England are my specialty

Doug_Mineo

« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2002, 09:32 AM »
I Will try out some scent on some of the dead bait, like the smelts. I dont want to take away from the natural scent. I am currently fishing Bantam Resevoir in Litchfield county CT, but would like to find a good trophy northern pike fishery within an hour or so to get a wall fish. do you know of any really great lakes for Pike that would be within an hour or so of CT?
               thanks for the info,  Doug

Mr. Esox

« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2002, 05:53 AM »
Some other places to try in Conn. would be the Conn River around the Hartford area probably not frozen.In Mass. Lake Buel,Onota,Pontoosuc, and Cheshire. In N.Y. the big waters are best Lake Champlain,Schroon lake,Saratoga lake.Don't worry about the natural scent it will still be there and good luck.I fished Bantam about 7 years ago and had good sucess with Pike nothing over 34in. Iused both live and dead bait with scent.

scott

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2002, 04:09 AM »
A buddy of mine uses wd40 and swears by it..

Doug_Mineo

« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2002, 01:39 PM »
Scott,

I heard that to, another old friend of mine once used wd40 on plastic worms for Bass, but I could never bring myself to use it. it just sounds nuts to me to use something so unatural on something that is alive. I dont think a minnow could swim in wd40. but who knows?

they might call it lubing your bait.

thanks, Doug

Jack

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2002, 03:59 AM »
HI GUYS,
       THE AREAS THAT I FISH PREFER SUCKERS OVER SHINERS THREE TO ONE.I'VE ALSO DONE WELL WITH DEAD SMELT ON THE BOTTOM.SOMETIMES I CHUM THE HOLES WITH GROUND UP BAIT.I HAVE NOT TRIED WD-40 ICE FISHING BUT HAVE USED IT ON PLUGS AND LURES WHEN TROLLING.IT REALLY WORKS WELL.SOME OF THE CHARTER BOATS ON LAKE ONTARIO HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR MANY YEARS.I HAVE ALSO USED A SPOON AS AN ATTRACTER AND TIE IT ON ABOUT 16IN. ABOVE THE BAIT.

Scott

« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2002, 04:44 AM »
I've tryed smelt once this year. The northern took it about 6feet and dropped it. Twice that happened...

Maze1162

« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2002, 07:41 PM »
WD 40 is a solvent and petroleum based.  In many waters it illeagal ie., polluting and can get you a large fine.  It also has a nasty effect on many rod components and the stuff that holds them together.  Take it from a cop and rodbuilder, you're better off with something else!
                                 Maze

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2002, 09:21 AM »
Doug,
I know that I have had fantastic luck with Pike using Herring scent.  Smelly Jelly Herring scent works the best.  I have used several scents for Pike and they love the Herring scent the best, (stinky liquid jelly version.)  This stuff really smells good too, not artificial or tainted.  I have used this stuff on Yellow Perch in lakes in Washington state and have nuked them left and right!  Last weekend I doubled my flags by using it on half the tip-ups we had out.  Once the flags with the herring scent outproduced the units without scent, we applied the scent to all of them.  26 flags in 2 hours using 6 Tip-ups.  In Alaska we are only allowed 2 per person so you have to make them produce.  The Pike in the lake I fish are fat with stocked rainbows and Grayling so "maybe" the herring scent smells similar to thier natural forage?  I know that the herring scent is developed for saltwater fish, but freshwater species seem to crave this smell.  There isn't any Cisco or Herring in the lakes I fish, so the Pike probably lick thier chops when the smell comes across the lake.  I have used WD-40, but it seems to work better for the Rainbows and Char.  Oh yeah, Smelly Jelly is a company out of Hillsboro Oregon.  Good Luck!  Barlydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2002, 12:31 PM »
I usually use either Burbon or Molson, depends what I spill more on my hands. :-* ;D

UpNorth

« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2002, 06:20 PM »
FYI,

I believe WD-40 is NOT petroleum based, but rather an animal protein.  That is why people have been using it on baits for over a decade.  It is not polluting the water, the ozone maybe, being an aerosol can and everything.  But I am quite sure it is not petroleum based.

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2002, 07:35 PM »
UpNorth,

You have it backwards.  WD-40 is petroleum based, as it contains petroleum distillates.  There are both light and heavy distillates, with the light allowing it to penetrate and then evaporate quickly, leaving the heavy to do the lubricating. Supposedly, none of the ingredients are carcinogenic. The one thing you dont have to worry about is the ozone, though, as it contains co2 as a propellent, not cfc's.

Also, anybody know who sells the smelly jelly herring on the internet?

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2002, 07:42 PM »
Up-North,
You know the thing about WD-40 is that fish and game may consider it a petroleum product.  I was trolling about 5 years ago in Puget Sound, (in Washington state) and happened to witness a poor gentlemen get a tongue lashing from the conservation officer over spraying WD on his bait!  He was a little miffed and stated to me that ,"I thought it was fish based??"  I really don't know the answer behind it's success, but the Salmon didn't seem to mind the unusual bait spray.  I use it on flashers quite a bit, and really think it neutralizes the human oder on the bait?  I was told before that WD is based on shark oil, maybe someone out there knows and can inform me.  You know if this stuff works, I would be willing to try preperation H, I hear it works too  ??? :D  
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2002, 07:48 PM »
Tommyboy,
I do have one contact you may try.
It's sold over the counter here in Alaska, but sometimes hard to get.  The liquid sticky herring scent is my favorite!!!!www.insidesportfishing .com

TEAM ALASKA

stickman

« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2002, 08:30 AM »
Ridgerunner products in the Burlington, VT area makes smelt oil that they sell in two different viscosities. The heavier one for use in summer, and a lighter one that disperses better in cold water. I used it all of last season, and had a big increase in hits on my tipup rigs. Before that, I had problems keeping big brown trout hooked. I'd get a flag and when I got there, the trout had dropped the bait and left. When I tailhooked the minnows on a 1/16 oz jig and put a few drops of smelt oil on the wound and dropped them back down the hole, I would get a flag and a trout or a stripped hook. They wouldn't let go.

Ray Mazza

« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2002, 01:56 PM »
Insidesportfishing.com carries Smelly Jelly.  The Herring scent is in the original version, not the guide formula.  Going to try it myself.  I checked with the New York State Dept. of Enviornmental Conservation, and in NYS, using WD 40 on lures or introducing it into the waters in any way, will get you in serious trouble.  Can't speak for any other state.
                               Ray
Why don't people ever believe a Cop?!

Ray Mazza

« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2002, 02:00 PM »
For Smelt Oil try jerryssportfishin.com
                             Ray

Ray Mazza

« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2002, 02:04 PM »
My appologies !!!  Go to ridgerunnerscents.com to get your smelt oil.
                             Ray

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2002, 05:18 PM »
I have never used the scent for pike as I rarely fish them.  I have used the scents on walleye and sauger and had good fishing, but I may have had luck without the scents...perhaps just coincidence.

I no longer use these scents though.  One spring I put my ice tackle box away for the summer, only to open it the next winter to find the paint eaten off half my lures and the plastic compartments of my box were melted.  The liquid had leaked from the bottle and gotten all over the box and it's contents.  I don't know what's in that stuff, but I don't need it.......

stickman

« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2002, 11:21 PM »
Vegetable or animal derived oils will go rancid if not stored properly. I put mine in a sealed plastic bag and then into the freezer until the season starts.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
Re:spray on scent  for Pike Fishing?
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2003, 08:06 AM »
Just got in my pike/muskie spray scent from Thorne Brothers. Can't wait to try it out. I'll let you guys know how I do. Mr. Esox.....r u in NY? I fish Canadarago alot. I also fish western-mass.

grumpymoe

« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2003, 08:39 AM »
barleydog--DONT use preparation H--it'll bung up your hole ;D ;D ;D happy new year

acsacmboy

« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:06 AM »
never thoguht of puttin scent on the good ol tip up! and take the good ol ratltrap and jig by it. that will be good for them pikerz. beware

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.