Author Topic: Cold Temp Pike  (Read 1216 times)

Offline chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Cold Temp Pike
« on: Feb 15, 2006, 11:01 AM »
Does anybody have any ideas on the temperature when fishing for pike?  I'm in a fishing tourney this weekend and it is going to be a high of 3 degrees.  Do the fish behave differently?  Any ideas or just fish them as usual and stay warm?

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: Cold Temp Pike
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2006, 05:08 PM »

During warm weather months 63 degrees is a very magical number to them. But in all conditions they are usually following their favorite bait fish, bluegills. What ever temp & depth gills like, this where I set up for pike. If gills are suspended in deep water I set up at the nearest weedbed. They feed on about any other fish in their path but they love to eat those tasty gills as much as we do! That's why bluegills from the same lake and area of that lake are my first bait of choice for pike.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

billybono

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:42 PM »
i have to disagree....pike eat gills, but i wouldn't call it there favorite bait. pike swallow there prey whole, which makes a gill hard to swallow so to speak.

billybono

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2006, 11:50 PM »
i have to disagree....pike eat gills, but i wouldn't call it there favorite bait. pike swallow there prey whole, which makes a gill hard to swallow so to speak.

billybono

Pike love bluegills. They will grab whatever fish is most abundant and easy to get. Around here bluegills and perch are their main forage.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.