Author Topic: smelt  (Read 2357 times)

Offline vicegripkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
smelt
« on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:50 PM »
whos using smelt for pike and how do you usually rig them?

Offline DTF13

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: smelt
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:16 PM »
on a quick strike rig w/ the bigger *main* hook thru the back of the fish and the smaller trailer hook thru its tail parallel with the fish.. you have to tweak with the main hook placement to make the smelt sit flat when in the water. ive heard of guys using nails and other stuff to balance them but i wouldnt rec that. if anything use a stainless splitshot in their mouth so if the bait gets swallowed whole it wont hurt the pike.  also be sure to pop the swim bladder in the smelt with a knife or the hook before you rig it up otherwise it wont sink.
Catch, Photo, and Release!

Offline vicegripkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:05 PM »
good info thanks

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Smelt work great! If they are big I'll crimp 2 octopus hooks together and hook the smelt on opposite sides of the dorsal so it hangs horizontally. With small smelt I've had some good luck putting 2 on the same treble.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2011, 05:22 PM »
Hi saxmatt.

I like fishing with smelt for pike and it seems that is what they usually go for in this area.

They give off a good scent that the fish can pick up on from quite a ways away.

I usually rig them on single and treble hooks with an elastic band around them so they stay horizontal in the water.
At times I will center punch them or even use them with a jig head.

Give them a try, I think you will like them for pike.

Good luck. :tipup:

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:10 AM »
  I have got some smelt, but have not tried them yet. All I could fine was smelt ,gutted, with head gone. they are MAYBE 3 in. Do you guys use these? I cannot find an Asian food market, I was told they sell them with heads on. Live in Flint area.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:15 PM »
One size four treble on 30lb. Seagar Florocarbon.  If you need quick strike rigs, the pike you are fishing for are too small. ;D 

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:38 AM »
i use 9" smelt. yep hand picked out of the niagra river n.y.  i use a steel leader with #2 trebble with a stinger trebble thats#4, the main trebble has been crimped on . (hate all snap to any leaders) hook the#2 trebble at the dorsol fin and #4 trebble by the tail. make sure it hangs level( just move the#2).  NOW ITS UP TO U TO FIND THE DEPTH THEY HIT AT

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2011, 11:23 AM »
  I have got some smelt, but have not tried them yet. All I could fine was smelt ,gutted, with head gone. they are MAYBE 3 in. Do you guys use these? I cannot find an Asian food market, I was told they sell them with heads on. Live in Flint area.

I've caught many fish on those cleaned smelt, but they are usually more like 6 to 8 inches. I used to live by hanging my baits level, but this year I've begun hanging them nose down with great results. Coincidence? maybe, but two fish over 40" on nose-down baits has made me a believer.

Offline Bear32

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2011, 11:42 AM »
   I have had great luck using big river smelt.  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.