Author Topic: Quad rack storage  (Read 5517 times)

Offline Bigfish713

• IceShanty Rookie
Quad rack storage
« on: Nov 01, 2014, 04:51 AM »
Looking to add some diy storage to my quad and would like to see what everyone has done for there ride. Last year I had my new vex fl28 and a very expensive Rod and reel flip out from under my travel cover. I got the vex back but the rod and reel were not returned. So this year would like to put some storage on the quad so It does not happen again and make some room in the shanty. Would like to put propane tanks, auger, vex and Rod and reels and gas can on the quad. If anyone has a pic of there setup I would like to see them befor I start mine. Thanks

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Quad rack storage
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2014, 06:00 AM »
Plano makes a couple storage boxes with some nice molded tie downs . If your  want to do bigger Shappell makes a sled rack you can attach to the rear of your ATV ... just add a large sled and put all your gear in it...for the auger I would mount a double shotgun/rifle rack to the front of the atv and place the auger in between the two gun mount...add a bungee and off you go . For your Vex get a 3 gallon bucket and add your vex and then bungee or carbineer it to the sled .   

http://www.basspro.com/Plano-68Quart-Storage-Tub/product/1206181/

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Plano-qt-Small-Storage-Tub/1535080.uts?productVariantId=3320741&srccode=cii_328768002&cpncode=42-1965145-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=BingPLA&WT.z_mc_id1=03568979&rid=20

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/shappell-atv-ice-shelter-rack?a=741671

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/0000_Mad_Dog_Fin_Grip_Pro_ATV_Rack_Double_Gun_Holder.jpg
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Clam has a good auger mount.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Bigfish713

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Looking for more of a custom diy storage / auger rack. Would like to see what other people have made for some ideas. Hate to buy what I can make. Any picture of what you have made and how you would make it better would be great. By the way had some snow on my wife's car when we got home from work last nigh hope it stays cold!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2014, 05:26 PM »
I use milk crates which are zip tied to the racks.  I have put my bait bucket, the Vex and another 5 gallon bucket to hold a skimmer, jig rods and tackle.  The buckets and milk crates are sturdy, light weight and weatherproof.  They also have plenty of ability to attach fasteners to keep your stuff secure.  With a little creativity you can customize your storage pretty easily.  This is also low budget so you can save money for stuff that's actually gonna put more fish on the ice.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2014, 05:47 PM »
I use milk crates which are zip tied to the racks.  I have put my bait bucket, the Vex and another 5 gallon bucket to hold a skimmer, jig rods and tackle.  The buckets and milk crates are sturdy, light weight and weatherproof.  They also have plenty of ability to attach fasteners to keep your stuff secure.  With a little creativity you can customize your storage pretty easily.  This is also low budget so you can save money for stuff that's actually gonna put more fish on the ice.

Agree on the milk crates on atv's and snowsleds. I zip tie three together, then zip tie them to the rack. Use the really heavy duty ties, the plastic is almost 1/4" thick and will hold as much weight as the crate.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:40 PM »
I bought a carrier that fits in the hitch ,didnt work well in mid to deep snow,got to mcgiver a way to raise it up higher,or adapt some way to join it to the front or rear rack ???

Offline Bigfish713

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2014, 08:07 PM »
Milk crates is one way I was thinking of using and add plywood bottom and sides to mount my auger on and keep the crates together. Did you use 2 or 3. I was thinking 3 but have not dug mine out of the barn yet to see how they fit. I was also thinking of using 1/2 ply to make a box and section it off for 1# propane tanks the vex and gas can so they don't bounce all over the place. I think the plywood would keep things in there place better then the crates would. U could also put a lid on it to lock the stuff up when at bait store or gas station.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2014, 06:23 AM »
Milk crates is one way I was thinking of using and add plywood bottom and sides to mount my auger on and keep the crates together. Did you use 2 or 3. I was thinking 3 but have not dug mine out of the barn yet to see how they fit. I was also thinking of using 1/2 ply to make a box and section it off for 1# propane tanks the vex and gas can so they don't bounce all over the place. I think the plywood would keep things in there place better then the crates would. U could also put a lid on it to lock the stuff up when at bait store or gas station.

Three crates is usually the most efficient width on an atv, it spans side to side. I don't put a bottom in them so the snow and ice can get out. Toss a couple of 1# LP bottles in with some rope or spare mittens so they don't roll.

I use gun racks for the auger, mounted to the atv rack right at the back of the seat.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Here's what I made last year . It's just a simple box that I made . I put 3/4" cleats on the bottom to make spots for my vex. And buddy's finder too . I also have a spot for a 21/2gallon bucket spots on the back wall for my tip- ups and have lost of space for lots more . It has been the best thing to haul gear on the quad .

I also made my own auger rack . I just used 2x4s I had and some old boat straps to hold the auger down . This worked great the auger never moved or shifted when running .

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2014, 07:30 PM »
I have a HUGE duffle bag that I can put 2 milk crates in and zip it closed. I keep my vex and buddy heater in it and everything is dry when I get to where ever I'm fishing.

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Made a PVC auger mount for my rig today. Going to mount a milk crate on each corner of the back rack as soon as I find some good heavy ones.

"Rippin Lips!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.