Author Topic: HARD STARTING HONDAS  (Read 17158 times)

Offline bottomslimer

• IceShanty Rookie
HARD STARTING HONDAS
« on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:23 PM »
 :'(

Offline bottomslimer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: HARD STARTING HONDAS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:34 PM »
I have a 2006 and 2007 TRX500 rubicons 4x4s I have one heck of time starting them when it gets 20 degrees or below if they sit any leanth of time like overnight i usually run the batteries down before they start. was hoping someone had any tips . thanks for any advise. B. S. :'( :tipup:

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:14 AM »
Trade them in for EFI polaris's ;D  How many mile's on them. It may be that the valve's need adjustment. I had a similar problem with my Yamaha grizzly years ago and that was the problem.I went from 50 degree temps at home when i got to camp and it was 20 at night it wouldn't start.Ended up adjusting the valve's in the yard and it fired right up.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:44 AM »
You guys should try running a thinner oil in winter that change it to a thicker in the summer. It will turn over easier...Alos, get rid of the factory battery and put an interstate battery in it. Dont bother with walmart type batteries either.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:35 AM »
My old '86 honda had a specific cold starting technique, and you only got one shot at it before it flooded, but one thing that made a huge difference, was running a full bottle or sometimes 2 of gas line antifreeze in each tank. It made the bike much easier to start and it idled and ran much smoother. Plus it got rid of that higher RPM miss that only happened when the temp's were really cold.

The thinner oil and better battery are a must, I extended my cables and ran a 120CCA Garden tractor battery in the rear toolbox. They let the bike turn over easier and give you more cranking time.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:12 AM »
I have a 2006 and 2007 TRX500 rubicons 4x4s I have one heck of time starting them when it gets 20 degrees or below if they sit any leanth of time like overnight i usually run the batteries down before they start. was hoping someone had any tips . thanks for any advise. B. S. :'( :tipup:
I don't own a Honda, but I have heard that some of them have a primer on the carburetor and some have a carburetor heater. Do either of yours have this and have you used it? I was talking to a Honda dealer, and he said that some have a carburetor heater and if you turn the key on for a couple of minutes before you start it, it will heat the carburetor. I would be interested in finding out if this is true. He also said that a lot of people that own Hondas don't know about this. Was he BSing me of telling it straight?  ???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:51 AM »
I don't own a Honda, but I have heard that some of them have a primer on the carburetor and some have a carburetor heater. Do either of yours have this and have you used it? I was talking to a Honda dealer, and he said that some have a carburetor heater and if you turn the key on for a couple of minutes before you start it, it will heat the carburetor. I would be interested in finding out if this is true. He also said that a lot of people that own Hondas don't know about this. Was he BSing me of telling it straight?  ???
I can't verify the carb heater, but I can verify the primer.  I have a '97 400 Foreman and I have never had trouble starting it in the winter, as long as I use the primer.  Full choke and three shots of the primer and she'll start within 5 sec every time.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2010, 01:53 PM »
All the carb heaters I've seen before (mainly on snowmobiles) have relied on diverting warm engine coolant through passages in the carb, to keep them from freezing up due to ingested snow in deep powder riding.

A quick Google check reveals that a lot of the newer honda ATV's do in fact have an electrical carb heater, although from the sounds of it, it's more to keep the carb from freezing, rather than help with cold starting. The only time having a warm intake tract (blowing a hair dryer down the intake snorkel while cranking) has helped me has been in extreme cold (close to -40C) when gasoline stops vaporizing.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline allpurposeoil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2010, 11:40 AM »
I sent u some recommendations :)

When You Call Us Mention Iceshanty

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:50 AM »
All the carb heaters I've seen before (mainly on snowmobiles) have relied on diverting warm engine coolant through passages in the carb, to keep them from freezing up due to ingested snow in deep powder riding.

A quick Google check reveals that a lot of the newer honda ATV's do in fact have an electrical carb heater, although from the sounds of it, it's more to keep the carb from freezing, rather than help with cold starting. The only time having a warm intake tract (blowing a hair dryer down the intake snorkel while cranking) has helped me has been in extreme cold (close to -40C) when gasoline stops vaporizing.
I think the carburetor heater just warms the gas up so it vaporizes easier. That's the way I understood it anyway.

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:30 PM »
My Rancher starts well in the cold. The battery sometimes gets zapped by the cold and I have to pull start it. Now I own a jump box, so no more pull starting.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:58 AM »
my 86 honda starts very easy in temps around or below 0, after a minor adjustment of the valves,i also run an interstate battery

Offline bottomslimer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:47 PM »
Thanks guys for the helpfull hints .I droped my oil today it was 10-40 and changed to 5-30 honda oil hope it helps . I am very interastid in the 0-40 amsoil but not sure yet my 07 still has less than 300 miles.I put the cold weather plugs in and fill with preimam gas . going out to try them out later this week. yuo guys have all the ansers.    thanks.B. S. :) :tipup:

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:53 PM »
i have a 500 rubicon and have the same problem you are talking about.if real cold out on the ice,i go out and start it up every hour and still turns over slow and can get you kinda nervous.... yes, i do believe they stick cheap small cca batteries in them when they are new and need to put better battery in it but what i never realized when i got this  4-wheeler new was how much oil it holds,i believe its 5 qts. thats alot of oil for a small battery to turn the crank in,or isn't it that much of a issue as to why these 4-wheelers crank over so slow? do other atv's out there hold this much oil also and have cranking issues too????
born to fish---forced to work

Offline HardWaterMachine31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:35 PM »
i have and 85 big red. the only problem ive ever had starting it is when we've had -15 or below. I have a interstate battery in it. (1st battery i bought after i got it in 99) if its gonna get a little cold out. il ike to put some SeaFoam in it or Johnson 2+4 gas treatment it seems to make it run a little hotter.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:55 AM »
  There is a cold start primer under your seat.It's a pain to get to but a few pumps and mine starts no problems,well below zero.Check your manual it's in there.

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2010, 05:33 PM »
i have a 500 rubicon and have the same problem you are talking about.if real cold out on the ice,i go out and start it up every hour and still turns over slow and can get you kinda nervous.... yes, i do believe they stick cheap small cca batteries in them when they are new and need to put better battery in it but what i never realized when i got this  4-wheeler new was how much oil it holds,i believe its 5 qts. thats alot of oil for a small battery to turn the crank in,or isn't it that much of a issue as to why these 4-wheelers crank over so slow? do other atv's out there hold this much oil also and have cranking issues too????
I have an Arctic Cat and it holds about 3 1/2 quarts.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:34 PM »
  There is a cold start primer under your seat.It's a pain to get to but a few pumps and mine starts no problems,well below zero.Check your manual it's in there.
Thanks LAKEGEORGEJEFF for the info on the cold start primer,i never knew it had that on it.tonite i tried starting my ribicon for third time in two days in the cold and it wouldn't start.my basket i have on the back covers the back portion of my seat so can't get the seat of to get to my book,,,so tonite i took the basket off and found out where this cold primer  is at and mine is on the right side of the carb. just have tio take a side shield off and BINGO, its right there,primed it three times,hit the key and she was purring like a kitten.Thanks again,,,this really relieves alot of worries now of hard starts.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:47 PM »
ALL HONDA'S START HARD WHEN IT'S COLD or they've sat for more than a few days.    have owned them from about 1984 to present.   get used to it or swap to a different brand. 

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:56 PM »
Never a problem starting my 98 Fourtrax even in the cold.
I do turn the idle up in the winter .

Offline ice_hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • PROUD MEMBER OF THE F.O.E.O.A.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:15 PM »
ALL HONDA'S START HARD WHEN IT'S COLD or they've sat for more than a few days.    have owned them from about 1984 to present.   get used to it or swap to a different brand. 

i dont know about that..............i have an 86 125 fourtrax that will start right up no matter how long it sat, or how cold it is..........just pull the choke, hit the start button, and shes purring like a kitten............but i also had a bunch of work done to her just before ice season...........

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2011, 05:24 PM »
I found half choke and just bump the starter,if i hold the button it wont start.I have a 300 .I am going to look for that primer button though.Thanks!!!! ;D

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2011, 04:12 PM »
do other atv's out there hold this much oil also and have cranking issues too????

Nope, and that's why the honda motor lasts forever. 

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2011, 05:42 AM »
I have a 2004 foreman rubicon with original battery. I have had trouble starting it this winter and thought maybe it was time for a new battery. After reading this post about a cold start primer i got my book out and sure enough below 5 farenheit it is recomended. below zero last week pushed the primer 3 times and chocked the bike and it started right up. This never would have happened without that primer. I surely would be pull starting. What a difference. ;D
Budweiser pro staff

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #24 on: Jun 06, 2011, 07:14 AM »
I have an 02' Foreman 450ES. My motor only holds 2 1/4 quarts. I believe the Rubicon's hold so much because of their transmission. I have never had to use my primer in winter. I choke it and start it. The primer will help when it's REALLY cold below -0's but if you need to prime all the time you may have some condensation you need to get out of the gas.

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2012, 08:51 PM »
there are cold start kits out! different jets and needles! just for a richer start! worked great for my honda!

Offline fisheyefool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • eat, sleep, fish
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:44 AM »
i wouldnt trade your hondas for any other machine out there. hondas in my opinion are the best machines out there. they are bullet proof. sounds to me that it could be a carb issue. 
eat, sleep, fish

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2012, 11:21 AM »
1984 BIG RED electric start, will start at any temp. I have HONDA 3 wheelers and quads, and DO NOT  have any starting problems.

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:03 PM »
A great tool I put on my atv's for the winter are battery tenders! Winter kills batteries, just plug in the quik connect and youll have better cranking and twice the battery life! A great $30 investment.  Ive had to use the prime button under my foreman 450 carb, works like and excelerator pump on some carbs. A lttle spray before you need vacume for the choke to pull fuel.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.