The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Monkton pond not safe  (Read 1426 times)

Offline ISLAND STORM

• Team IceShanty Regular
Monkton pond not safe
« on: Mar 06, 2018, 05:18 PM »
Heard on the news tonight a guy fell through Monkton Pond with his buddies close by and had to be taken out by rescue...all were safe thankfully but the rescue folks were saying there was less than an inch of ice covering the pond at this point.

Be careful out there!!!
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Tight lines and be safe.

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Monkton pond not safe
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2018, 08:04 AM »
The ice went really quick out there. I go pretty often after work and there was about 8 inches one day and then about 3 inches of not so great ice just 2 days later. Just enough to keep a spud from going through but when I cut the hole the hand auger dropped through after 4 turns. Scared the hell out of me. I thought it would last a bit longer, but that warm spell just destroyed it.

Glad everyone is safe.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Yikes!  I'm done with the ice in the Champlain Valley.  I might head to the NEK one more time.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2018, 05:20 PM »
It appears that the ice on ponds go out very quickly. I remember many years ago driving out on Shelburne Pond and getting a nice catch of perch. We went back the next day and the ice was gone. I wouldn't have believed it was possible but it happened.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline stubborn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2018, 05:24 AM »
Thanks for posting.  Sharing info like this might save somebody's life.!
I fish better Hungry.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2018, 11:04 AM »
Yea glad they are safe but monkton is kind of notorious for loosing ice quick. With the shallow water it doesn’t take long to get to ice melting temperature. This time of year you should be checking the ice before you go too far. If they’re really was less than an inch you would have to be pretty stupid not to notice that on your way out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.