Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540410 times)

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #180 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:20 PM »
looks like a cold snap coming. maybe it will get the slop hard again so we can get out of the house. need to go fishing bad.     

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #181 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Ill be out there as soon as it tightens up.  Not sure where.  But Ill find a place.....

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Jan 09, 2010, 03:16 AM »
anyone know if the ice is thick enough at priest to fish??? I was at upper twin last week and did good on the pearch 35-45 i think.  Were headed to spirit to try our hand at the kokanee on sunday, anyone know if they are going home with a limit from spirit?

Offline Big_Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #183 on: Jan 09, 2010, 11:32 PM »
I just limited out on Kokanee thursday at Spirit. I did it in only 2 hours. ;)

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #184 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:29 AM »
How big are the bluebacks running on Spirit lake?    I fished at the Condos Friday.  Ice was solid and 9". Caught a few small perch but it was slow.  Fished upper Twin yesterday.  14" ice and caught lots of small perch and 2 crappie.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #185 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:32 AM »
Atta boy.  Headed to UT in an hour with my buddies.  Will post results later.

Offline perch pullin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #186 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:48 PM »
Fished Upper Twin today.  That is long walk to the other side of that lake.  Snow was hard in the morning so dragging the sled was easy.  On the way out in the afternoon snow was soft and wet.  That made the ice hut sled a lot harder to drag back.  My kid and I had 9 tip ups out, we were about 3/4 of the way across the lake.  Got one flag and one pike.  About 25".  Caught a bunch of small perch, but did take home 4 nice Crappie.  Was a great day with the sun out.  Need to find myself a four wheeler before I do that again.

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #187 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:27 AM »
fished spirit lake this morning and 4 old timer showed me up.  i was there from 6:30 till 9:30 and caught 1.  the old timers were there for 2 hours when i left and hey each had 7 + fish.  They were nice enough to let me look at there rigs.  Home made hooks and a bead chain.  I went and bought the things to make the hooks up this after noon... I'll try and fish there this weekend and i hope i do a little beter.

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #188 on: Jan 16, 2010, 08:24 PM »
 :(

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #189 on: Jan 17, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Headed to Upper Twin in a bit.  Gonna bring the Quad but dont know yet if I will drive it out.  Might have to walk. Lame.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #190 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Fished UT yesterday. SLOW was the word for the day.   I brought the quad but chickened out on takeing it out.  I am sure the ice is thick enough but with all the holes I didn't want to find a trap door.  
I did hang out with a couple of dudes that drove up from Moscow they caught enough for a meal.  But for the most part the perch they caught were pretty small.  They had a camera which was pretty cool.  There was a small pike hanging out were they were fishing.  Might have been why the perch fishing was slow.  
I set out 4 tip-ups in front of the launch but didn't have any flags.  I was joking about having the flag on the wrong side of the trip mech.  Sure enough I did and one of my tip-ups was spooled when I picked them up.  Fish must have ran it out and spit the hook after tugging on the line all day.  Oh well it happens, just seems like it happens a lot to me.

Ice was about 14 inches. 

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #191 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:21 AM »
Riske......  How sloppy was it?   Would you do it again?   I hate standing in water........

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:27 AM »
Its not sloppy at all.  The only places there is water is around holes and small puddles here and there.  It is pretty easy to stay dry. I would go out again.  I am hopping it gets cold again but it doesn't look like it.  After drilling a new hole I should have walked back and got the quad.  There is plenty of ice.  As long as you dont drive through the middle where there are a ton of holes.  Watch your step though some of the holes are getting pretty big.  A small kid could go right down some of them.  Or you could fit your leg down them pretty easy.

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #193 on: Jan 19, 2010, 06:56 AM »
its good to hear the ice is still good... I have been fishing upper and lower twin since the middle 80's and still havent caught a pike out of there... how many are in there??they must have been accidently stocked by fisherman or kids.  i looked on he stocking records and fish and game didnt plant them.  everyone keeps talking about how many are now in there is this true??  my neighbor caught a 28.5 lb pike 2 years ago 100+ to the north of the par 3 boat launch trolling for trout... its the only one he's ever caught out of there... i figured it was a fluke...

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #194 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:45 PM »
I saw some bass fisherman this past summer in the channel that had just landed a small pike. haven't tried fishing for them though.

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:25 AM »
went to upper twin today again from 3pm to 430.  caught 15 pearch.   Ice is still good... some one else was out there in an ATV.  where i was there was 12+ " of ice

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:22 PM »
Drove south from Sandpoint today about 1pm.   Two guys on the ice in front of the condos.  No one on Round or Cocolalla.  No on on upper Twin.  I may try upper Twin Sat.

Offline perch pullin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #197 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:51 PM »
Any reports on the ice at Sportsman Access Hayden or if the Pike are biting yet.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #198 on: Jan 23, 2010, 12:33 AM »
  Fished Turtle Lake today...  Must've drilled nearly a 100 holes(about 9" of ice) and marked very few fish.  We continued fishing into the dark hoping for some crappie action...  Suddenly, my buddy spotted a fish 4 feet down in 16 feet of water on his new Marcum.  He quickly raised his jig and it got hammered by a ......BULLHEAD!!!  Twenty minutes later, he picked up another bullhead on the bottom.  Don't remember a slower ice fishing day in my life.

Jim

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #199 on: Jan 23, 2010, 03:26 AM »
anyone been on the chain lakes (rose, cave, black, swan, bull run, ect) in the last few days?  i might go there on sunday if the ice is good

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #200 on: Jan 23, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Fished upper Twin today.  Pretty slow.  Ended up with 20 perch and 2 crappie.  Ice is good.  12 inches and solid.  No slop on top. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #201 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Fished Round today for a couple hours. Very slow. Solid 11 3/4 inches slick ice.
Two "drive-by" trout with lockjaw. One give away perch to a father - young son, who only had one perch themselves.
About a dozen people, all just sitting and talking.

Five out by the Condos.

;)

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:53 PM »
what is the deal with upper twin. I grew up near twin and always prefered lower. I tryed both this week and lower was much more productive. my wife and I caught 18 perch over 7" and two nice rainbows in a couple hours. I moved around quit bit trying to find blue back but havent had any luck finding them. 

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #203 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:50 PM »
there are not as many blue back as there once was.  from par 3 look NW to the rock face and that is where most guys fish for them....too many fish feeding on the blue back and no where for them to spawn keeps the population low.... better off going to spirit lake for them

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #204 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:31 PM »
I'v put a couple hundred from spirit away already. they cann up great but I sure would like a few big ones to smoke up. I would troll for them when the Ice came off years ago and get my 6 in an hour, all 14" or better. It may just be for the glory but surly 6 from twin out weighs 15 from spirit.

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #205 on: Jan 26, 2010, 01:56 AM »
if i hear of anyone catching them on lower twin i'll post the info on here for you.  but i dont know anyone who fishes for them.  to much work for very little to show for it. 

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #206 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:36 PM »
I fished lower twin today with my wife again. no blue back and my wife didnt have much luck just perch but I caught two nice rainbows about 18 1/2" and four 14".  We fished out from the Lightning bar and I had to laugh because their where half a dozen people out on the Ice. I havent seen that many people out there before, just makes me wonder how many people watch this board.

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #207 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:15 AM »
i have seen up to 30 people on that end of lower twin.   mostly trout and pearch are what i see come out of tha area.   the funny thing is 15 yrs ago everyone use to fish just south and east of the point by the bridge..you only see 1 or 2 people fishing by the point all year now....    i remember as a kid night fishing off he bridge in the summer with a lantern for the crappie.   now the bridge is private and they dont let anyone fish off it any more..

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #208 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:29 PM »
Good ice on Smith Lake just north of Bonners Ferry. Across from the dock and way down to the right were about 25 8" holes with less than 1/8th" of skim ice. Fresh hole measured 13", as were all the rest. Only one dip of the pole by 1". Bad timing between 1:00 and 3:00 pm.

Fish and Game planted more than seven thousand catchable fish in there from May thru Setember 09, inclusive.

Go early. Good luck.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #209 on: Feb 27, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Any fishable ice up north?

Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.