Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 536752 times)

Offline fatherbohab

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #120 on: Feb 14, 2009, 10:35 AM »
Thanks Duck, I am taking my six year old son out on his first ice fishing trip. On V day and wanted to catch him something.
an angry man catches no fish.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #121 on: Feb 14, 2009, 05:59 PM »
Father......  Cocolalla is the best place I can think of to take a kid.  Should have lots of action.  Good luck.....

Offline tom1234505

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Feb 14, 2009, 06:15 PM »
went fishin a couple of days ago at round lake, hyad 6 bites but didnt hook them, had alot of fun anyways. oh and blueduck, another good place to take a kid is round lake ;)
"to succeed you must first learn to fail"

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Feb 16, 2009, 11:00 AM »
Tried Freeman lake (near oldtown) on Sunday and did ok. Trout fishing was good early, but shut off by about 10:30. All of the trout were nice size, including an 18" holdover. Without a snowmobile, it's about a 1/4 mile walk to the lake.
Fished Avondale Sunday evening (for the 3rd time this year) and did not get a bite. I have officially decided that Avondale sucks.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:49 PM »
Carguy,  did you catch anything other than trout on Freeman?   I walked in there a couple of days ago just to check it out.  No one was there but there were several holes where they had been.   I fished mirror one more time since I saw you there and it was still slow.  Fished Priest lake twice and it was slow too.  Ill be trying either Round or Freeman tomorrow.

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:42 AM »
Hi Blueduck. I didn't catch any bass or perch there this year, only trout. Last year I limited out on both though. I normally do the best on the opposite side of the lake about 30 yards from the shoreline and about 10 yards left of the beaver dam. Theres a nice "weed free" hole there.
You might want to bring along some tip ups and smelt, theres tiger muskie in there too. Good luck.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #126 on: Feb 17, 2009, 03:00 PM »
Fished priest thurs and fri and did good thurs biggest one 27". A 42" was landed that day. Fri hooked a couple none landed though. Sunday took home six trout at round lake, 1 rainbow.I can't believe the ice has been so good thus far. We might be fishing well into March.

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:51 PM »
we went to smith lake again and got some nice trout. allways do good there.

:icefish:

Offline tom1234505

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Feb 18, 2009, 12:37 AM »
tried Hayden lake for the first time today and didn't get a bite :-\    ( it was the first time I even stepped out on it)  one guy caught 1 pike though. it was fun anyways... I would've stayed there longer if my grandma didn't get so cold, oh well. the ice was easy to cut through unlike round lake, but has at least 18" of ice on Hayden lake. one guy was fooling around with his ATV on the ice (sliding around that sort of stuff which looked like fun by the way) anyway that's my report. might try it here again in a few days and see how I do. ;)
oh while I have it on my mind i recommended iceshanty.com to a fellow angler who drilled me 2 holes with his power auger and gave me a pike rig all baited up too!!! :o what a nice guy. :)

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Feb 18, 2009, 01:44 PM »
Went out to Thompson Lake yesterday, the ice is the thickest ive ever seen it this late.  I caught a bunch of perch but the pike fishing was terribly slow I didnt even get one flag on a tip up. Water is very brown.  Ive heard that Chatcolet Lake was producing some pike has anybody been out there? If so where have people been fishing them?

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Feb 20, 2009, 07:52 PM »
Went out to Thompson Lake yesterday, the ice is the thickest ive ever seen it this late.  I caught a bunch of perch but the pike fishing was terribly slow I didnt even get one flag on a tip up. Water is very brown.  Ive heard that Chatcolet Lake was producing some pike has anybody been out there? If so where have people been fishing them?
Thompson has been brown ever since we had that thaw and runoff.  How big were the perch? Did you fish down next to the pullout (cattails) or the lone pine?
Chat has not been producing it's usual day.  0-1 flag has been common.  Perch schools infrequent, but improving.  Suggest you head to Killarney and try there.  It is your best bet for pike.  Iwould try right in front of the picnic tables on the east side, or between Popcorn Island and the point. 

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Feb 20, 2009, 09:51 PM »
I went down to Killarney last sunday and the ice didn't look too safe from the launch. there was open water in some areas. Maybe there's safe ice somewhere on it, but not from where i checked.

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Feb 21, 2009, 12:22 AM »
I fished Thompson up by the pullout and further south along the shore, most of the perch I caught weren't bad quite a few nice keepers, I also caught some Crappie and one very small pike on my little perch rig. I was thinking of going out to Kilarney I just havent talked to, too many people who have gone out there. Im trying Chat tommorow hopefully I get some results. Anyone keep me posted on where those dang pike are being caught!!!!   

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Feb 21, 2009, 08:25 PM »
heard today that people were doing fairly well on kokanee up at Spirit lake. any body been up there recently? i'll be out there tomorrow to see how it goes.

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #134 on: Feb 22, 2009, 01:12 AM »
Went to Chatcolet today and not even one flag all day, I found the perch but no Pike. Ive gotten skunked  at two lakes thompson and chat.  Has anybody fished Killarney?? Wondering if the ice is decent.      Where are the Pike!!!!!

Offline tom1234505

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Feb 25, 2009, 01:53 AM »
went fishing at round lake... AGAIN, about 3 days ago. didn't have a hit or anything, but one guy i was fishing by caught a rainbow, but forgot how big it was. a guy fishing east of us caught a handful of perch. should have moved about an hour into my fishing trip but didn't, oh well, still had fun. :)

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #136 on: Mar 05, 2009, 05:17 PM »
Watched a guy pull out a 5lb largemouth saturday out of Walsh, no wonder I can't get a perch. Cold weather this weekend for an extended season. :o

Offline tom1234505

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:50 PM »
went fishing on cocolalla today and boy was it ever good perch fishing. i probably caught around 80 perch and kept 21. before i left there was a blue heron, probably the one that stays around round lake; there was a man fishing there and he caught a trout; the blue heron tried to snatch that but he shooed the heron away and gave him some perch he caught instead. the trout was probably a good 18 inches, anyways everyone i talked to caught fish so i recommend going there if you're going fishing in north ID.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Mar 15, 2009, 11:30 AM »
I hit Coccalla yesterday for 2 hours and it was hot.  I caught well over 60. I gave a guy that wasnt to far from me my biggest ones all 10 inches or bigger.  I would have given him more but it was all he wanted to Filet.  I think I gave him about 7 or so.  The average was pretty good though.  All the big ones were caught up off the bottom.  I was finding the perch all over the water column. Every where from 6 feet below the ice all the way to the bottom.  Some were hugging hte bottom but the ones that did were all small. The big girls were up of the bottom feeding.   Funny thing about them was there were tons of one eyed fish.  My bucket was half full of fish with one eye and even a few blind ones.  Wierd. I only used one worm all day.  Also I dont recomend buying an HT Ice Blues IB-24 ice combo they can not handle alot of fishing.  The first two times I have taken it out I have snaped the tip off. And fixed it but yesterday it snapped in the middle of the rod.  I have only used it three trips this year.  They are a piece of crap.  I will stick with the Ugly stick from now on.

Offline tom1234505

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Mar 15, 2009, 02:31 PM »
I hit Coccalla yesterday for 2 hours and it was hot.  I caught well over 60. I gave a guy that wasnt to far from me my biggest ones all 10 inches or bigger.  I would have given him more but it was all he wanted to Filet.  I think I gave him about 7 or so.  The average was pretty good though.  All the big ones were caught up off the bottom.  I was finding the perch all over the water column. Every where from 6 feet below the ice all the way to the bottom.  Some were hugging hte bottom but the ones that did were all small. The big girls were up of the bottom feeding.   Funny thing about them was there were tons of one eyed fish.  My bucket was half full of fish with one eye and even a few blind ones.  Wierd. I only used one worm all day.  Also I dont recomend buying an HT Ice Blues IB-24 ice combo they can not handle alot of fishing.  The first two times I have taken it out I have snaped the tip off. And fixed it but yesterday it snapped in the middle of the rod.  I have only used it three trips this year.  They are a piece of crap.  I will stick with the Ugly stick from now on.

the ones i was catching werent that big and i was just off the bottom (5-8"). oh also i use an ugly stick ice rod too. never will i go to anything else other than shimano.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Mar 21, 2009, 12:01 PM »
Anyone been out on Coccalla this week?  I havent seen anyone on it since last weekend.  There was good ice last weekend but I am a little leary of it now.  After falling through it last year.   I have seen guys out on both sides of the long bridge all week.  They are nuts all it takes this time of year is some good wing and all that ice will break up right under your feet. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #141 on: Mar 22, 2009, 12:10 PM »
  I've not been out on Cocolalla Lake but, drove by Friday and one "bucketman" was out in the bay to the left of the dock at the north end. Ice looked solid and only open water was at the two inlets.
  How's Sunnyside?
                   Stay on top.   Tom

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #142 on: Mar 27, 2009, 11:23 PM »
well dad-gumit looks like we going to have to get the long ones out and put the short ones away. things getting a little rotten out there now. i here you can get some nice bows out of the kootnai river now. maybe head there this weekend and see.

:icefish:

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Apr 09, 2009, 09:24 PM »
 we went to the kootenai river near port hill and caught two reel nice rainbows and a sucker and two wight fish. the bows where 18.5 and 19.5 we fished off the bank with warms

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2009, 09:04 PM »
is there anybody useing this site any more?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2009, 10:42 PM »
It's an incomplete day that doesn't start and end here. Just not much activity  south of Yellowknife, NWT. If I were 40 snows younger, prob'be moving close to where those pics were made by Drifter 016.
Check the topic: To you Southern Ice Fishers.
Good shoot'in Dave.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #146 on: Nov 02, 2009, 12:21 PM »
Yippee, ice on the beaver pond across the road, won't be long. They are dropping the Pend level like they did last year.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #147 on: Nov 02, 2009, 01:01 PM »
Ya, it's on the way now after that "False Start" 3 weeks ago when it was 5 above up Rapid Lightning area.

Have a good season, and make it a long one by staying safe & on top.

Tom

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #149 on: Nov 03, 2009, 09:27 AM »
Thanx Jeff,
        The learning curve for me has a bend that's rough on old guys.

BTW, the link works for any body of water the Army Corps of Engineers have control of dams.

Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.