Author Topic: Steel studs  (Read 2722 times)

Offline urlacher4778

• IceShanty Rookie
Steel studs
« on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Hey all I'm building my first permie got the trailer frame and the drop down figured out and it almost done being fabricated but I would like to get some knowledge as I've never worked with steel studs before so here goes. When looking over them st home depot I noticed that the 2x3 studs which I plan to use feel very flimsy so my question is I plan on putting aluminum on the outside but it doesn't seem like just aluminum would be enough structurally speaking. Do you first sheet the outside with plywood before putting the aluminum on? Or am I just being paranoid?

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Steel studs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:57 AM »
I've never had anything to do with 2x3 steel studs but had thought they should be quite rigid.

By 'aluminum' do you mean actual aluminum sheeting or rather some type of metal panel/siding such as https://www.metalroofingsource.com/metal-roofing-products/?

Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline urlacher4778

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:36 PM »
I've never had anything to do with 2x3 steel studs but had thought they should be quite rigid.

By 'aluminum' do you mean actual aluminum sheeting or rather some type of metal panel/siding such as https://www.metalroofingsource.com/metal-roofing-products/?

Yeah I mean the same aluminum skin that's on most enclosed trailers

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2018, 01:01 PM »
You'll probably need to utilize metal 'strapping'. It's probably 0.40 in thickness and roughly 5"-6" wide. That will help hold everything together and keep the frame ridged. Google it and check out pictures of commercial framing projects and you'll see what I'm talking about. It shouldn't have an effect when you go over it with the aluminum or whatever sheeting.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:30 AM »
You can always use the plate that the steel studs are supposed to sit in King and soul plate. Notch them and install similar to fire blocking.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:46 AM »
I built an 8x12 wheel house about 15 years and used steel studs.  spray foam for insulation and 1/4" lauan for interior. Barn tin fastened to the studs for exterior.  Every screw holding the lauan to the studs would frost or condensate, over time creating water marks on the lauan. 

Offline Firstbuild

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Hey Tornado what size steel studs did u use?

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2018, 07:51 AM »
The studs at home depot probably are just interior studs and not meant for structural framing.

Offline Garrett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2018, 11:29 AM »
I have contemplated using steel studs as well for my next build but have repeatedly read about the condensation issues and frosting at each stud. For those of you that have done it, what type of heaters were you using? My main question is vented or not?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.