Author Topic: Weekend Fishing  (Read 5275 times)

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
Weekend Fishing
« on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:00 PM »
Hey guys I just found this forum.  I was wondering where everyone is fishing for the end of this week and into the weekend.  I want to get out but have not fished in the eastern part of the state for a long time.  I am thinking either Wagon Train or Chezkland.  Just curious as to what everyone thought. 
Sorny

Offline jig4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Weekend Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:11 PM »
Czechland is one of my favorite lakes and I have been checking it since the snow and it isn't putting on anymore ice! Currently it is only around 2 - 2 1/2 inches with around 8 inches of snow cover! There have been a few people fishing it though! Just a little to skimpy for me to set the house on!! Last time I checked was Monday morning and not planning on going back there till at least tomorrow morning! Maybe I'll see you out there one of these evenings soon! See You Later!!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:32 PM »
Czechland is a cool little lake....bro and I stopped there 2 years ago after striking out on some other areas.  Nailed the gills near those trees out from the ramp.  One after another and some weren't too bad but sorting was a necessary.  I think they had a pretty large size limit on them.  I remember not knowing the regs for sure so we threw them back as we caught them.  After a day of no bites, just a little tug of war was all we wanted.  And we got it there...but I've never been back since.  Little far to drive for gills for me.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2007, 02:52 PM »
Can't help ya with either of those lakes, sorry.  However, I am happy to say that I will be hammering bass through the ice at my uncles pond up near ponca this weekend, can't wait!!!!!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2007, 03:37 PM »
What else your uncle got in his pond?  Perch?  Gills?  Pikey's???  I'll help you get some of those bass eatin pike out of there...you don't want those in your bass pond.  LOL.

There are some good little ponds up there...but bass through the ice...I don't know...I've never caught any bass through the ice except one pond in Iowa full of stunted buckymouth
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2007, 03:51 PM »
Bass through the ice, thats the only time I fish for them.  Caught 4 last weekend on a silt pond (the only think enough ice I could find) while going mainly for gills.  Granted, they are not usually the targeted species, usually going for gills, but they seem to always come around.  Jig for gills and tip ups for bass and you will be busy running around all day. 

Oh, and nothing stunted about these Bass, will be disappointed if we don't get a few over 18 inches.  Rarely fish it in the summer, but from the times I have I know there are big ones in there.  The pond is just bass and gills, nothing else. 

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I got a fever and the only cure is more ice fishn!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2007, 06:29 PM »
I don't know where I'm going to go this weekend. I went to Zorinsky this morning to check the ice and it was not very safe  >:( The lake is about 75% covered with snow. It looked like the ice was around 4 inches where there is no snow but if you walk in the areas with snow it was only a couple inches and slushy in some areas  :( I called an game and parks guy in Iowa near Denison and the lake that we fish their is not safe yet either. I need to get out somewhere this Sunday and if anyone knows a place and wants to meet up, let me know! It would just be my son, father-in-law and myself.

Offline jig4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Fremont Lakes SRA, lake 7&8 has exactly 5 inches of beautiful snow covered ice! Caught my limit of crappie Monday and Tuesday evenings! Most were only around 9 inches though! Also lake 12 and lake 4 have 4 inches of good ice! Yeah I know it's the Fremont lakes but at least there some ice till the resevoirs freeze up around here, plus the bite has been good! I will go and check Czechland tomorrow! Anyone ice fish Burchard? Shouldn't be any snow cover that way!

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2007, 09:35 PM »
Thanks for the info! I haven't heard anything about Burchard yet. I believe you can't fish Burchard until hunting season is over and I don't know when that date is. I will check around a little bit.

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2007, 01:21 AM »
I need to get out somewhere this Sunday and if anyone knows a place and wants to meet up, let me know! It would just be my son, father-in-law and myself.

You can go with us to 15" SLAB CANYON! :P

We are going on Sunday.

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:57 AM »
You can go with us to 15" SLAB CANYON! :P

We are going on Sunday.

I really want to but I can't talk Tom into going that far for a days worth of fishing  >:(

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:24 AM »
Shucks! :(

Wish you could make it, in the mean time I will pray for somemore cold temps to keep ice around for a little longer.  This might be our only trip south cause they are going to warm up next week it looks like! >:(

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline jig4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2007, 01:18 PM »
Czechland Lake as of this morning has 5 1/2 - 7 1/2 inches of ice on the non snow covered areas  and 2 1/2 - 4 1/2 inches on the snow covererd areas! If the high winds die down like they are supposed too I'll be out tonight and tomorrow night and tomorrow night etc. etc. I'll post a crappie report!!

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2007, 02:00 PM »
I have never heard of that lake...Where is it...?

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2007, 03:39 PM »
I have never heard of that lake...Where is it...?

It's near Prague which is in the David City area. 

Anyone have any new ice condition reports for any of the Lincoln area lakes.  Were heading to Wagon Train tomorrow.  I will let everyone know the ice reports and fishing reports. 
Cheers
Sorny

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2007, 03:58 PM »
It's near Prague which is in the David City area. 

Anyone have any new ice condition reports for any of the Lincoln area lakes.  Were heading to Wagon Train tomorrow.  I will let everyone know the ice reports and fishing reports. 
Cheers
Sorny

This thread here http://www.nebraskafishingforum.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1362 (on page 8 ) stated 2 1/2 as of last Sunday. 

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2007, 04:29 PM »

hey guys,
    have heard nothing of the ice conditions @ ironhorse, burchard, wolf-wildcat or mayberry, may have my pickup back from the body shop friday, if so,  i'll make a run over there to check those lakes for myself. will post what i find A.S.A.P. promise !

fred

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:18 PM »

hey guys,
    have heard nothing of the ice conditions @ ironhorse, burchard, wolf-wildcat or mayberry, may have my pickup back from the body shop friday, if so,  i'll make a run over there to check those lakes for myself. will post what i find A.S.A.P. promise !

fred

Looking forward to your report!

Offline jig4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2007, 03:47 PM »
Went to Czechland today from 8 till around 1! The bite was very slow! Eight other groups of people out fishing also! Only one small walleye and two little bass! Non snow covered ice is averaging 6 inches!!!

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:35 PM »

body shop says the pickup will be there at least until monday afternoon & we can't fit the FLIPOVER in her car, so we have loaded our fishing stuff into the ol' bucket. we're ready to go to burchard after sunrise tomorrow morning. weather / roads permitting we also plan to stop by either mayberry or wolf-wildcat. it doesn't look too promising for a sunday morning ice fishing outing. SSSOOOOOO, just in case the ice is unsafe, i have packed 2 TOWELS we can take turns crying. hope to see you there.
fred

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:54 PM »
We hit wagon train this AM and there was 7+ inches of ice on the lake. This afternoon we went up to Timber Point and there was 5 on there. That was the good news. The bad news is we had no bites, not even a nibble. No one was having any luck on Wagon Train and we had Timber Point to our self. A positive note for the day was I won 50 bucks at the Hickman Minnimart, so that payed for gas. Don't know where I'll head tomorrow but I'll give it another whirl.
Until Next time
Sorny

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2007, 04:42 PM »
 todays fishing report from where i was sitting:
 BURCHARD: gates are still locked, but there is 8" of good ice, a few places thinner,  4" - 5" across from the boat ramp, along that dropoff (check the lake map on N.G.P. website). water is very clear, fished four different locations from 6' to 14' of water, marked a lot of fish activity suspended from bottom to within 4' of ice, in two hours we didn't get a single bite (wax worms, spoons & glow jigs). talked to three other parties, they had been showing lots of fish on their locators as well, but not getting any bites. OOPS, i didn't think to ask what type of bait they were offering.
 WOLF-WILDCAT: at noon, only fished for half an hour ( wind got to us) lane in is ice packed. 6" - 8" good ice, water appears to be a wee bit stained, bluegills were hitting hard and fast for us. several others were leaving as we arrived, they said they had had very good succes all morning.
MAYBERRY / IRONHORSE: no report, i was told "WE DO NOT DRIVE HER CAR ON MUD ROADS". O.K.!
   south of beatrice it's been snowing hard for an hour now, i seriously doubt that 6" TO 8" of ice will support this heavy snow. so good luck & please use EXTREME CAUTION if you're going out in the morning.
 hey it was GREAT, even if we didn't bring a single fish home.
fred

Offline TMFLDEM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2007, 11:35 PM »
good report, now you just need to come out west around me and give me an area report.. ;)

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2007, 08:37 AM »
Went just across state line into SD from Valentine.  Fished stock dam up there.  Busy afternoon  but success was measured in the quantity and not much quality.  Unless teaching buddies two young sons a little about jigging and how to use the vex measures in quality.  It was a nice day but for the chilly breeze we had.  It ws a great experience fishing with the two boys, and the younger of the two took to the new jiggin techniques like a duck to water.  He was out catching me for a while.  What were we catching?  Perch and Gills.   total near 100 perch the size of a grown mans finger,  4-5 in the 9-11" range and prbly 25-30 gills of varying size with one over 10".  But really fishing with the kids was prbly the funnest part of the whole day.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2007, 07:30 PM »
Thanks for the reports! SNOW SNOW SNOW >:( >:( >:( I hope it doesn't ruin the ice. Fred - Do you know when they will open the gates at Burchard? We usually try to ice fish that lake at least once a year. We usually hit it at night though. It seems like the crappie get active on that lake at night.

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:12 PM »

sorry, but i really don't know for sure when they will open the gates @ burchard. probably after the close of water fowl season ?   
  lake access is so much easier when you can park in the boat ramp area, or if you can drive around to the far end.  that darn hill near the dam gets pretty tough to pull a shanty up when there's deep snow.  i work with a couple people from pawnee county, will ask about new snow fall amounts tomorrow, then post any info i have.
 fred

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2007, 06:54 PM »

word from the 'people' of pawnee county is that they had as much or more snow than we did ( 6" - 7") so that's where we stand at this time. Q.? anyone want to take their snow blower out on the lake and clear it off for us? oh well it was worth a try.
fred

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:56 PM »
Ill blow some snow if ya put me on a good hole!  LOL

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.