Author Topic: Box Butte  (Read 5324 times)

Offline hammerhandle41

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Box Butte
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2013, 02:01 PM »
Yeah 8 plus it might be pushing 9 to 10in.
If you never try you will never know!

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:08 PM »
I'd drive on it

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Had a decent day on the ice. 4 nice pike, biggest was 24 in. Caught on live minnows .

Offline gusdoneit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Hey guys I'm looking at making a trip up there from cheyenne. Ive never been to B.B before and was wondering if anyone had any tips or info to help me put my first pike on the ice!! I'm planing on a 2 day trip so my first question would be where is a good place to stay and get a licenses and bait.

Offline 13tjohns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2013, 04:13 PM »
You can get a license off the internet. I just use smelt for bait on a tip up with a treble hook for pike.

Offline eye_ketcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Hudson Ave bait shop has minnows and wax worms. 519 hudson ave 3 blocks north of taco johns  phone # 308-762-7464. Game and parks office has license if you can't get it offline. Sunset motel is decent place to stay in Alliance. Good price and can park vehicle right in front of your door. Hunters Point access (take dirt road on the north side of lake to the west and its your first turn back towards the lake. ) Good place to start and work back towards the west from there if your not having any luck.

Offline hammerhandle41

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:49 PM »
Hows the fishin been down there at box i havent been down there in a few weeks?
If you never try you will never know!

Offline coyotehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:42 PM »
Yes, I was up at the Butte just after the first of the year and the ice was around 8-9 in. I was south of the boat dock in about 12-14 ft and getting perch running with a white tear drop with a red dot but i also used green, blue, purple and got perch on them also, also people where up on the west end or hunters point and getting pike and perch and a walleye every now and again.

Offline fisherofman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:16 PM »
Hey guys I'm looking at making a trip up there from cheyenne. Ive never been to B.B before and was wondering if anyone had any tips or info to help me put my first pike on the ice!! I'm planing on a 2 day trip so my first question would be where is a good place to stay and get a licenses and bait.

I went up to BB a couple of times last year from SE WY and found a great place to get minnows in Scottsbluff.  Great guy - Scott? Im pretty sure on corner of 5th ave and 19th street?  He met me early in the morning and had good prices on large minnows, small too- probably 1/2 price of minnows in Alliance and it would save you some time.  Anyone know if he is still selling minnows?
Fish them about 1/2 way down at whatever depth your at and you'll have a good shot at catching them.  Make sure you have steel leaders or at least some 20lb braided line.  It's amazing how wicked their teeth are especially on mono.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:56 PM »

I went up to BB a couple of times last year from SE WY and found a great place to get minnows in Scottsbluff.  Great guy - Scott? Im pretty sure on corner of 5th ave and 19th street?  He met me early in the morning and had good prices on large minnows, small too- probably 1/2 price of minnows in Alliance and it would save you some time.  Anyone know if he is still selling minnows?
Fish them about 1/2 way down at whatever depth your at and you'll have a good shot at catching them.  Make sure you have steel leaders or at least some 20lb braided line.  It's amazing how wicked their teeth are especially on mono.

That guy is no longer there.

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 18, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Yes Scott is no longer there but I talked to him a few days ago and he is reopening his bait shop in some comm shops on the east side of Scottsbluff should be open in the next week or so from what he told me just check the paper or radio or as so as I get a number for him again ill post on here

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.