Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540122 times)

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #3810 on: Dec 13, 2020, 07:16 AM »
Has anyone been to Mirror yet?

Open water as of Friday 12/11

Offline PLumpee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3811 on: Dec 13, 2020, 10:11 AM »
Has anyone been to Mirror yet?
I was out there yesterday. It’s open water on the public access side.

Offline smitty661

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3812 on: Dec 13, 2020, 09:34 PM »
I fished round today from the docks for an hour.  I measured 3” but wasn’t comfortable venturing out with both my daughter and me. She pulled her first fish through the ice, even though it was from a dock. We will check it again next week.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
« Reply #3813 on: Dec 13, 2020, 10:54 PM »
I was out there yesterday. It’s open water on the public access side.

Thanks, is it frozen on the east end?
Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline WinterWizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3814 on: Dec 14, 2020, 12:32 AM »
Friday(12-11-2020) 1 pm Upper Twin was capped but only 1.5" 33 deg and snowing moderately hard

Offline PLumpee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3815 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:26 AM »
Thanks, is it frozen on the east end?
From a distance yes. It wasn’t investigated. Not sure if there is access down there.

Offline willrile4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3816 on: Dec 14, 2020, 03:26 PM »
I fished blue this weekend, Saturday night and Sunday. Ice was 3-3.5 inch's of solid clear. Fishing was good, flasher was almost a must have as crappie were biting super light.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3817 on: Dec 14, 2020, 04:57 PM »
Avondale lake 100% capped but thin ice can't even walk 2 feet off shore without it breaking up
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3818 on: Dec 14, 2020, 09:44 PM »
Blue lake is good to go. 3-3.5 at the launch, works it way up to 5-5.5 the further south on the lake you go.  Bite was super slow, 3 or so fish an hour, crappie on maggots.  Checked freeman, mostly 3-3.5 but a bit sketchy.  Ice wasn't as good quality as blue and got a lot of water bounce when you walked near a hole. Drilled a few test holes and 2 of the 3 popped with a stress crack so I passed, didn't drop a line.  Didn't check the rest of the lakes due to recent reports from other guys here.  This week's weather doesn't look promising.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3819 on: Dec 15, 2020, 06:15 PM »
Checked Chase this morning....still needs some time.  Open water on east end and 2” of ice at the dock....put one foot on the ice and it was popping and cracking (the ice....not my foot!!)  Several spring holes showing up.  Usually whatever Blue Lake has for ice....Chase has 1-3” more....but not the case right now. I may try Blue tomorrow before conditions warm up over the weekend.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3820 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:04 PM »
Checked Chase this morning....still needs some time.  Open water on east end and 2” of ice at the dock....put one foot on the ice and it was popping and cracking (the ice....not my foot!!)  Several spring holes showing up.  Usually whatever Blue Lake has for ice....Chase has 1-3” more....but not the case right now. I may try Blue tomorrow before conditions warm up over the weekend.

Thought I’d try to get on blue either tomorrow or Thursday as well. Fished in WA this morning just to get some good ice time.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3821 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:16 PM »
From a distance yes. It wasn’t investigated. Not sure if there is access down there.

No acces I was just wondering about progressing coverage.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3822 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:22 PM »
Thought I’d try to get on blue either tomorrow or Thursday as well. Fished in WA this morning just to get some good ice time.
Where in WA were you?

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3823 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:52 PM »
Where in WA were you?

Fished Thomas. 4-5”. Got about 5 inches of snow this morning it felt like. Perch bite was unstoppable.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3824 on: Dec 16, 2020, 12:50 PM »
Where is Thomas Lake?
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3825 on: Dec 16, 2020, 01:24 PM »
Where is Thomas Lake?
one of the Pend Oreille chain lakes. (Sherry, Gillette, and Thomas, South-to-North).

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3826 on: Dec 16, 2020, 03:20 PM »
Ok so in Washington not Idaho 

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3827 on: Dec 16, 2020, 03:42 PM »
Went to Blue Lake about noon today.  Ice is sketchy.  Someone had punched through at the access point just feet from shore.  You could see sled tracks in the slush going out another 60’ or so and it looks like maybe someone’s leg went through and the sled marks come right back to shore.

I walked out 20 feet or so and the ice was cracking a lot.  3 strikes with a spud bar and I was able to punch through 3”-4” inches of ice.  Slush/water layer on top and it was 36 degrees.  I imagine the snow and temps the last couple of days has changed the ice profile.  On the plus side....the ice thickness appears to be there once we get some colder temps to firm things back up.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3828 on: Dec 17, 2020, 11:10 PM »
Welp north end of Hayden is opened up again only ice is by the power line and they have been running those  Barge/tugboat back and forth from the dock

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3829 on: Dec 18, 2020, 10:29 AM »
I assume Avondale is still not ready? After this weekend, it is likely to regress a lot. Perhaps after the new year we will get those cold temps?

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3830 on: Dec 18, 2020, 10:33 AM »
Has anyone checked the ice on McArthur? Are there even fish in there anymore or did IDFG finally just turn it into a bird sanctuary only and kill it all off again?

sihlms391

« Reply #3831 on: Dec 24, 2020, 07:33 AM »
Ok some lakes should be ready now.  Unfortunately not  Ferrnan  or Avondale.     

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3832 on: Dec 24, 2020, 10:24 AM »
Has anyone checked Upper Twin

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3833 on: Dec 24, 2020, 12:11 PM »
6 degrees at the Priest Lake airstrip overnight and 14 degrees at HooDoo lake.  This has to help reform some of the ice.   Will check Blue this weekend and hopefully it’ll be good to go again

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3834 on: Dec 25, 2020, 10:33 AM »
Merry Christmas!   I drove by the Twins yesterday.  They went backwards and lost ice   since earlier in the week.  Upper Twin is frozen over with some open spots.  No way to pop a hole and check but didn't look like it could be more then an inch thick any ware. 1/4 acre open spot right at the boat ramp.  Lower Twin was about 70% frozen over.  Ice at the dock was about 1/2 inch.   

Offline Po Tader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3835 on: Dec 25, 2020, 05:04 PM »
Avondale is 70% frozen over with a 1/2” of ice at the launch.

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3836 on: Dec 27, 2020, 03:20 PM »
Anyone find fishable ice this weekend? I'm headed out tmrw, but I figured I'd save myself some gas and not drove to all the lakes to check if only one is safe

Offline smitty661

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3837 on: Dec 27, 2020, 08:23 PM »
I have been waiting for a report too. I would imagine that snow on top isn't helping. Please let us know what you find.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3838 on: Dec 27, 2020, 09:51 PM »
I checked Chase Lake this afternoon.  Definitely needs more time.  Measured 2” off the dock and it was not a hard firm layer.  4” of snow the other night has partially melted and created a slush layer on top. 

Then went to Blue Lake.  Consistently 4” of hard clear ice with the same snow layer on top that was a little slushy but mostly snow.  Others had been out there and talked with one person who was still on the ice.   I only fished for 45 minutes or so and had no bites.  The other person said it was slow but he did have a few he kept.

Cooler temps this week might help add some ice and firm up the water/slush on top.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3839 on: Dec 27, 2020, 10:00 PM »
Has anyone checked Freeman yet?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.