Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540109 times)

Offline gillsonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #3090 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:07 AM »
Atholmike, Huge, I checked cocolalla today and there had been people out from the north sportsmans access but only for a hundred feet or so, after that there is a snow slush line that I checked and beyond the crust and water layer it was only 2inches thick where I drilled, I don't scare easy but I backed away quickly. as far as other area's of the lake like the south end I can't tell you anything about it. So if you go please be careful.

Offline WinterWizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3091 on: Jan 02, 2018, 02:16 AM »
remember the Chinook need to be over 20" to keep

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3092 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Atholmike, Huge, I checked cocolalla today and there had been people out from the north sportsmans access but only for a hundred feet or so, after that there is a snow slush line that I checked and beyond the crust and water layer it was only 2inches thick where I drilled, I don't scare easy but I backed away quickly. as far as other area's of the lake like the south end I can't tell you anything about it. So if you go please be careful.
  Thank you. In that case I wont even try to get to where I like to go. Mikey no like unexpected polar bear plunges :cookoo:

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3093 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Well going to try to get out to spirit and try for those chinooks if anyone is having luck on twin could you help me out i hear about people getting kokanee from lower twin but where  i am not that familiar with that lake do to some factors me and my buddy are craving salmon big time
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3094 on: Jan 02, 2018, 04:33 PM »
I wasn't aware there were kokes in lower twin.  Have they been in there for a while? 

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3095 on: Jan 02, 2018, 04:37 PM »
As far as i know they have been there for 8 years at least
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3096 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:32 PM »
Interesting-I'd be grateful for any info on where to fish and gear if anyone wants to chime in

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3097 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:46 PM »
I took the family out on lower twin yesterday afternoon the ice was a solid 5" with 2" slush then 2-3" frozen slush and snow crust on top of that.

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3098 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:59 PM »
We didn't adventure around much, I kept post holeing through the crust and into that slush. It was our first outing and I was just trying to get all my gear dusted off and make notes of what I was missing for next time anyhow. I have had good luck catching Kokanee out there in the past though just not where we stopped. If you can get out to the deeper parts of the lake around 55' or so they are there and worth the wait imho. It's not as fast and furious as spirit when they come in but they are substantially larger.

Offline Accident Prone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3099 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:08 PM »
HAS ANYONE TRIED ELK RIVER OR SPRINGVALLEY RES. THIS YEAR?

Spring Valley was reported around 6" and I heard Moose Creek was 6"-8" two weeks ago. Elk River is typically about the same as Moose Creek.

Offline waltermaurer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3100 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:23 PM »
NarniaFisher,
Glad to hear of your New Year's Day success yesterday; I was on north end of Avondale and caught only 5 perch.  Today, fished all over the lake: only 3 bites and 1 perch in 5 hrs.   Last week I was using ice flies and RatFinkees tipped with perch eyes or maggots and did fairly well, but these rigs have not worked for me yesterday and today.  Will try small spoons as you suggested, and also start using my fishfinder.

Offline WinterWizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3101 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:38 PM »
fish and Game's been planting Kokes in Twin for at least 20 plus years. there is a link to planting on their web page

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3102 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Fished Round lake today.  Saw Hugeinchina out there.  Overall it was a nice day but fishing was a little slow.  Ended up  with a some perch and two trout.  Ice was 5" with abouit 5 inches of  snow and slop on top. 

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3103 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Well the bite at spirit was slow do to some things but it picked up had a cutthroat hit a tip up downright vicious little bugger and was jumped out of the hole trying to get the bait when I went to check it cuz he Drag and dropped it caught one small Kokanee and my buddy hooked into a chinook it broke my line

Offline talk2elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3104 on: Jan 03, 2018, 10:24 PM »
I was just west of silver beach resort

Cavanaugh Bay??? I slayed the Mac's up there last year.... Not familiar with Silver Beach Resort... Anything fishable up there?
Tight Lines!

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3105 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:18 AM »
Cavanaugh Bay??? I slayed the Mac's up there last year.... Not familiar with Silver Beach Resort... Anything fishable up there?

I was wondering the same thing. I looked up Silver Beach Resort and it took me to Spirit Lake. Heard there was 5 inches with 3 feet of snow on ice.

Offline idahtana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3106 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:14 AM »
I was wondering the same thing. I looked up Silver Beach Resort and it took me to Spirit Lake. Heard there was 5 inches with 3 feet of snow on ice.

I did a little sleuthing and found a Silver Cove and a Silver Camp on Kalispell island on Priest Lake.  Mrflores said west of there...perhaps he was at the Kalispell Bay parking area / boat launch?

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3107 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:17 AM »
I did a little sleuthing and found a Silver Cove and a Silver Camp on Kalispell island on Priest Lake.  Mrflores said west of there...perhaps he was at the Kalispell Bay parking area / boat launch?

Ahh could be. May be worth checking out.

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3108 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:45 PM »
Taking a three hour drive tomorrow to try the chain lakes. Any ice info would be much appreciated.  I never hear any reports on Anderson lake. Anybody ever try it?

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3109 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:11 PM »
Taking a three hour drive tomorrow to try the chain lakes. Any ice info would be much appreciated.  I never hear any reports on Anderson lake. Anybody ever try it?

Don’t know about ice conditions but Anderson is full of bass and pike. Good luck. There might be bass size restrictions too so check the regs.

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3110 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:13 PM »

Sounds like someone went through the ice at cavanaugh bay and I’ve been told the ice isn’t good on priest yet but have not confirmed first hand.

Offline talk2elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3111 on: Jan 05, 2018, 12:45 AM »
Cavenaugh is usually the first fishable ice at Priest, but can be dicey, lots of open water usually.... I haven't heard of anyone fishing it yet, but can't wait to get out there! Would be awesome to see it freeze completely over like last year! Beware the ice near shore and out near the open water. Macs bite best at daylight and take a nap around 10-12  ;)
Tight Lines!

Offline mrflores187

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3112 on: Jan 05, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Afternoon
Idahtana I don’t recall a sign at the place i was parked at. Haven’t been back out since last week. So I’m not sure on the current conditions

Offline IcekiddKt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3113 on: Jan 05, 2018, 06:53 PM »
Anyone check out bronze bay at spirit lake yet?usually takes awhile for it to be safe.

Offline mrflores187

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3114 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:10 PM »
I’ll be out at spirit tomorrow morning until afternoon. I’ll report my findings again. Plan on going to nautical loop boat launch. Have some new stuff to try out. I’ll report with results

Offline jagmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3115 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:53 PM »
Fished Mirror lake Wednesday. We fished the north end of the lake. Ice was good at 7 inches...but narrow quickly to less than 2 once you hit the slush line about 150 yards off shore from the parking lot. We did well catching trout (rainbows, cutthroat, and bookies). We caught the occasional blue back...they had a really light bite and you had to jig almost constantly.

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3116 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:03 AM »
Fished Anderson lake today. No pike,   crappie bite was slow, lots of small perch. Highlight of the day my partner caught a 20 " largemouth!                            Ice 5"

Offline Jraystevens21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3117 on: Jan 06, 2018, 01:10 AM »
Has anyone been up on Freeman lake this year? Any reports?  Heading up the 12th this warm weather is stressing me out I havnt been out this year yet! 

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3118 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:28 AM »
I’ll be out at spirit tomorrow morning until afternoon. I’ll report my findings again. Plan on going to nautical loop boat launch. Have some new stuff to try out. I’ll report with results
Let us know if they cleared out the parking cause last time i went there was not plowed out

Offline Fishnfire1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3119 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Anyone check out bronze bay at spirit lake yet?usually takes awhile for it to be safe.
    was out on bronze bat Thursday and Friday morning. Ice was a solid 4 inches with about an inch and a half of cloudy ice on top. Got skunked both days.but had a few bites.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.