Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540134 times)

Offline jagmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #3000 on: Dec 25, 2017, 11:13 AM »
Merry Christmas!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3001 on: Dec 25, 2017, 04:34 PM »
Fished Avondale for about three hours, balls was it cold. The ice was around 5 inches with the top inch or so being milky and the bottom 3 to 3.5 being completely clear. The perch bite was extremely light, but the trout were relatively active... if you’re into that. We took two nice perch home and put 8 trout back down the holes. This was to be the first time using my brand new Humminbird Ice 35... but it did not power on. I’ll plug it back into the charger and see if maybe I just prematurely took it off after unboxing and assembling it. Portable ice shelter arrives tomorrow and we sure could have used it today! Looking forward to getting back out there probably Thursday and definitely Friday! Tight lines!

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3002 on: Dec 25, 2017, 04:44 PM »
My ICE 55 does that every once in awhile, I just unplug the battery and plug it back in and seems to fix it.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3003 on: Dec 25, 2017, 05:27 PM »
That’s exactly what fixed it... after I got back home. I’ll have to wait until later in the week to try it again.

Offline Derrick NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3004 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:17 AM »
Hey Hugeinchina, I might of ran into you yesterday I was the guy in the Otter shanty with my wife.
As china was saying the perch bite was incredible soft. They would show up on the flasher a couple at a time look interested then they'd swim away or stair at your jig for a minute or two. If you could get them to chase your jig up a couple of feet off the bottom the would bite.
Took home a dozen perch, one nice 9inch blue gill, released 10-12 trout and gave away 5.

A person will sometimes devote all his life to the development of one part of his body - the wishbone
- Robert Frost -

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3005 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:50 AM »
Derrick,

Yep, that was my wife and I out there. We would have been further out on the ice, but one of us is less sure of 5 inches of ice than the other.  ::) I wish I had the Eskimo shelter yesterday. I think we could have given it a bit longer if we were out of the wind. We had not caught anything in about an hour when we decided to pack it in though. Perhaps if my flasher unit had worked, I would have seen that additional key bit of information you saw and improved our perch catch rate.  :) Anyway, we will probably be out there again Thursday and possibly Friday although the forecast currently has freezing rain in the forecast Friday. Stop by and say hi if you see me! I will have my three sons with me and sometimes my wife as well.

Offline AlpacasSayQuack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3006 on: Dec 26, 2017, 06:40 PM »
Hi everybody. I'm Jason from Moscow. This is the first thread I've found that covers n. Idaho. Anyway, thanks for the reports and I thought I've give mine.
I went to Spring Valley today and there is about 6in. of ice with no slush. On three rods (I have a hand auger only and got too lazy to do any more) I limited out in less than 2 hrs with 6 nice sized rainbows. My father-in-law limited out within two hours too running the same depth.
I've fished many times there and I've always found lots of rainbows 7-9 ft down from top of ice. I have no flasher FYI. I just raise my rod 7ish feet above me and let line out to the ice to get depth measurements.

Offline Fishnfire1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3007 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:17 PM »
Anyone been checking on upper or lower twin in the last few days? I checked Saturday there was only about 2-3 inches.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3008 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:38 PM »
Have the perch in upper twin improved? We fished a couple winters ago and caught just tiny dinks.

Offline IceChatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3009 on: Dec 27, 2017, 12:47 AM »
Thank you for the report on Spring Valley Jason.  I've never fished it...but sounds like I should!  I'll put it on the radar.

We must be gaining ice.   it's 17 degrees out there right now (I'm in hayden). Sorry to change the subject, but I have a question I need to ask the group:

Are there cats in Avondale?   Reason I ask is that I was fishing it during the summer and coming off the lake at dusk.  A couple of guys were launching a boat.  I saw a big jar of something that looked like catfish bait so I asked them what they were going for.  They said "we are catfishing"  I said that I've lived here all my life and didn't know there were catfish in the lake.  They said "oh yeah, there's big ones in here"

Anyone buying that?

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3010 on: Dec 27, 2017, 05:58 AM »
According to the IDFG site there are bullhead in there. I haven’t seen any catfish taken through the ice there yet, but I’ve only fished it a half dozen times.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3011 on: Dec 27, 2017, 07:00 AM »
The biggest bull head that's been pulled out of Avondale to my knowledge was almost 20 in and I know the guy who caught it
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline WinterWizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3012 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:58 AM »
I've caught a few Bullheads in Avondale over the years and they have been bigger than the ones I've caught out of Cd'A Lake.

Offline IceChatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3013 on: Dec 27, 2017, 02:10 PM »
wow...super interesting.  And that is a NICE bullhead!  Worth it enogh that I might start setting a few tipups with some bottom bait just for fun.  You never know.  If I put any on the ice, I'll post it!

Offline Derrick NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3014 on: Dec 27, 2017, 03:04 PM »
I've pulled quite a few bullheads through the ice back East, they put up a real good fight. I've caught them on accident jigging for perch laying on the bottom, and fishing with cut bait 100+ft down for lakers. I'd imagine dropping a tip-up down to the bottom on just off the bottom with a nightcrawler, cut bait, liver or dough bait would work.

A person will sometimes devote all his life to the development of one part of his body - the wishbone
- Robert Frost -

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3015 on: Dec 27, 2017, 03:49 PM »

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3016 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:35 PM »
Hey bullpine,   I'm interested in your link, above.

You should click on it.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3017 on: Dec 27, 2017, 11:42 PM »
Did it open for you? 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3018 on: Dec 28, 2017, 12:08 AM »
Unfortunately it didn't open, bullpine.  And I'm an Amazon user/member.
I would like to see what you linked.    ;)2

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3019 on: Dec 28, 2017, 05:49 AM »
On Avondale yesterday 5-6" good ice w inch of snow on top.  Bite was very light.  Iced 4 trout 14-16" and one 10" perch.  Fish are bigger than last year though.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3020 on: Dec 28, 2017, 05:54 AM »
On Avondale yesterday 5-6" good ice w inch of snow on top.  Bite was very light.  Iced 4 trout 14-16" and one 10" perch.  Fish are bigger than last year though.
Thanks for the report! I think we are headed there today for a bit. I’ll post a report if we go.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3021 on: Dec 28, 2017, 01:10 PM »
We went by Lower twin on Christmas day. I cautiously went out to a hole someone drilled about 50 ft out. The ice was about 5 in thick. the bottom 3 in clear with the top 1.5-2 in milky.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3022 on: Dec 28, 2017, 03:24 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I have caught them just outside the weedy parts of lakes where the water flows into the lake.  They are bottom feeders and will find your bait if they are around.  I used those rainbow colored jigs shaped and about the size of  your thumb nail with a stinger treble hanging off the jigs single hook.   I take say a two to three inch strip of perch meat and hang it off the jig and the attach stinger.  I drop it slightly weight under my tip up and go jig for perch and stuff while they soak.  The smaller cats won't even flag so check them once and a while.  I have caught two at a time as they try to suck the perch meat off that setup.

Not
Prior post with photo bucket tag.  Not sure if it will repost but maybe you can see it in the North Idaho Archives Idahogator.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3023 on: Dec 28, 2017, 03:29 PM »
Unfortunately it didn't open, bullpine.  And I'm an Amazon user/member.
I would like to see what you linked.    ;)2
Go to post here on Dec 30 2013 to see catfish photo.  Photo bucket and apparently Amazon don't work here. Photo bucket want $$$ to load to another site.  Oh well.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3024 on: Dec 28, 2017, 06:59 PM »
5”-6” of ice at Avondale today. Very light perch bite again, but with the electronics working this time, we managed to ice ten good sized ones. We caught two trout. Good meeting you today, Raynebidziil22. Tight lines!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3025 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:31 PM »
 I drug yer cat along, bullpine.    :flex: ;)2

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3026 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Thanks Idahogator.  That fish drag my line all over the lake, that's why the weeds are on the ice.

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3027 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:18 PM »
Fernan safe ice yet?
Mirror lake isn’t great but building.
 Haven’t checked round yet.....maybe tomorrow.
I would say cocalala is not safe yet.
That is all.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3028 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:30 PM »
Fernan safe ice yet?
Mirror lake isn’t great but building.
 Haven’t checked round yet.....maybe tomorrow.
I would say cocalala is not safe yet.
That is all.

Isn’t Mirror a lake you have to pay to get on or no?

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3029 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:31 PM »
No...Idfg bought us some parking spots! Pretty cool!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.