Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540135 times)

Offline sediver

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2820 on: Feb 11, 2017, 10:42 AM »
we limited on Spirit last week 3 different times (Kokanee). The ice was 12 plus inches. Most were caught 20 feet deep in 80-85 feet of water. Most were caught using a small Jig-n-Rap or #8 glow hooks tipped with red Fire corn or maggots. The ones we got were 8.5" up to 10". Used the Nautilus Rd ramp. Sonar really helps.

I haven't been to Spirit to ice fish before, where do you folks think would be a good place to start? I'm not sure where the Nautilus Rd. ramp is.
What "flavor" Jig-n-Rap where you using WinterWizard?

Offline Bonaro70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2821 on: Feb 11, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Any word on how Cocolalla or Gamblin Lakes are doing?  How about Upper Twin?  I am in quest of perch and lots of them.  I have a new lake that needs to be assaulted but I need a few volunteers to go with me so we can spread out and find the fish faster.  It is over by Gamblin and I hear it s got some nice perch.  Any volunteers?

sihlms391

« Reply #2822 on: Feb 11, 2017, 08:40 PM »
I checked out lower twin and slush on top is frozen.  Few soft spots.  Should be great by tomorrow.  Haven't tried gamble this year.  Never had much luck there. 

Offline WinterWizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2823 on: Feb 12, 2017, 12:46 AM »

I haven't been to Spirit to ice fish before, where do you folks think would be a good place to start? I'm not sure where the Nautilus Rd. ramp is.
What "flavor" Jig-n-Rap where you using WinterWizard?

Sorry, Nautical Loop, SH-41 just south of SH-54. We used a glow and also silvery/black. I talked to the people at the "Boars Nest" and they said it may be possible to park in their lot, Nautical is a lot closer for me. We never got more than 200 yards from the ramp.

Offline sediver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2824 on: Feb 12, 2017, 03:31 AM »
Thanks for the information WinterWizard.

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2825 on: Feb 12, 2017, 10:50 AM »
Fished Fernan Saturday with my brother in law.   Frozen on top.  18 inches total.  Fishing was slow.  One 14 inch bow, 1 crappie and 7 keeper perch  Largest 10 inches.  If it stays cold at night lake will stay frozen on top layer.  Ice cleats a must.  Had two tipups and one flag but no pike.  Fishing second turnout in 20 fow.

Packernut

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2826 on: Feb 12, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Bonaro-fished cocolalla on Thursday trout bite was good.  Went to upper twin on Saturday not a bite-no one was icing fish-went to Hauser later that day same thing-no fish.  I am convinced high pressure system was to blame.

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2827 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:15 PM »
Fished Thompson Friday and Saturday . Three pike on tip ups, lost three more on jigging spoons. Steady crappie bite Friday. Overall a great weekend! The edges soften upped on Saturday and had to wade back to the truck. I think I'm done for the season.

Offline Bonaro70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2828 on: Feb 13, 2017, 10:35 AM »
Houlzhouse:

Have you done any good this year on Hauser?  I hear it has some good bluegills towards the north end but access always seems sketchy due to limted parking.  Heading to the slough just outside of Priest River today.  Ice is good and I know it holds perch and crappie.

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2829 on: Feb 13, 2017, 10:50 AM »
Anybody been up to Priest lately, is there still ice in Cavanaugh Bay? Any report would be great.

sihlms391

« Reply #2830 on: Feb 13, 2017, 12:45 PM »
Went out on lower twin.  Ice is great.  Just slick in spot.  It is at least 20 inches ice now.  This is the best in 5 years. 

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2831 on: Feb 13, 2017, 03:58 PM »
Bonaro-Been out twice this year-skunked once and dink perch the other time-both times out from the south end boat launch. 

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2832 on: Feb 13, 2017, 04:46 PM »
Did anyone try Avondale last weekend?  We went by but no one was on the ice-we weren't sure if they knew something we didn't so we went to upper twin?  Just curious

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2833 on: Feb 13, 2017, 05:07 PM »
the bite at Avondale was bad cause to many people were hitting it to hard and  the fish shut off just like at Hayden on sportsmen the pike bites been bad
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2834 on: Feb 14, 2017, 12:26 AM »
Fished Thompson Friday and Saturday . Three pike on tip ups, lost three more on jigging spoons. Steady crappie bite Friday. Overall a great weekend! The edges soften upped on Saturday and had to wade back to the truck. I think I'm done for the season.
Hey Casey....were you at lone pine or narrows? Thanks!

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2835 on: Feb 14, 2017, 12:45 AM »
Not sure what is narrows and what is lone pine. But I can say that I was by the outflow

Offline idahnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2836 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:59 AM »

Hey Upriver,  What size were the crappies?

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2837 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:03 AM »
I caught 3 different sizes the medium size 8 inches the big size 10 inches. Jigging spoon is what worked for me 12 to fifteen fow. Tried the acme hyper glide on Saturday and was able to keep the perch , bluegill and small crappie from biting. I really liked it might be worth looking into .

Offline idahnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2838 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:36 AM »
I caught 3 different sizes the medium size 8 inches the big size 10 inches. Jigging spoon is what worked for me 12 to fifteen fow. Tried the acme hyper glide on Saturday and was able to keep the perch , bluegill and small crappie from biting. I really liked it might be worth looking into .

Thanks much.  I don't live far from there; however I never fish it in the winter.  I might give it a try before ice out.

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2839 on: Feb 14, 2017, 01:26 PM »
Be careful, when I said I had to wade back to the truck I meant it!

Offline willrile4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2840 on: Feb 14, 2017, 03:27 PM »
Was out on Fernan this weekend caught perch and iced a 6 pound cat. That thing was huge and had me guessing for a few minutes as too what was on,the other end of my line. Finally got the fish up to the hole and had to wedge the thing out as the hole was slightly smaller than the fish especially with the sharp spines that stick straight out on a catfish. Tried to post a pic but not sure how to do on the site. Want to hit fernan one more time looking to go on Thursday. But very concerned with the warm weather and forecasted rain.

Offline idahnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2841 on: Feb 15, 2017, 04:25 PM »
Be careful, when I said I had to wade back to the truck I meant it!

Fished Thompson on Wednesday.  Caught lots of small fish and got a wet foot getting on and off.  With the river coming up this lake is probably done unless you bring a plank with you.  Fished Fernan Thursday morning before the rain started.  Non stop perch and bluegill for about two hours.

Offline willrile4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2842 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:14 AM »
Fished Thompson on Wednesday.  Caught lots of small fish and got a wet foot getting on and off.  With the river coming up this lake is probably done unless you bring a plank with you.  Fished Fernan Thursday morning before the rain started.  Non stop perch and bluegill for about two hours.

Where do you catch gills on Fernan? All I have ever fished is deeper water around the middle of the lake. I have caught perch but never any gills or crappie and I know there is some good ones swimming around in there :o

Offline idahnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2843 on: Feb 16, 2017, 11:47 AM »
Where do you catch gills on Fernan? All I have ever fished is deeper water around the middle of the lake. I have caught perch but never any gills or crappie and I know there is some good ones swimming around in there :o

Try out in front of the last turnout.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2844 on: Feb 16, 2017, 05:55 PM »
Going through spirit lake I swung in nautical loop, it looks like mostly water mixed with slush on top of the ice. Looks like this weekend will be a fun walk hopefully the ice holds up. This weekend is gonna be my last hoorah either way as my wife is due at the beginning of march and sounds like it might come early so I'll be on house arrest after this weekend.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2845 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:01 PM »
An early congratuations to you and your wife, CMS  !  :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2846 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:41 PM »
Can you still get on and off the ice at Fernan.
Thinking about going one last tiem this year.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2847 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:58 PM »
The shoreline edge is weak as I broke through in one spot and went in to the knee and then put the other one in trying to get out. Got a little wet but went fishing for 5 hours anyway.  Lots of ice once you got onto it.  That was last Saturday and that road has the southern exposure and we have had lots of rain since. I would bring a long board and get my affairs in order.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2848 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Thank you Tom

Casey

sihlms391

« Reply #2849 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:21 PM »
I bet lower and upper twin is fine.  Suppose to start freezing at night so it will help.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.