Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540134 times)

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2790 on: Feb 04, 2017, 11:38 AM »
I second raynebid's question about kokanee rigs-I tried silver and gold Swedish pimples at mirror last week with mild success (iced 3 ) and would like to do better.  I was thinking of putting a 4-5" dropper on the pimple with a waxie jig/maggot or a bead head nymph of some kind.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2791 on: Feb 04, 2017, 12:57 PM »
The brightest pink small jig with one spike on it is a good start.    ;)2

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2792 on: Feb 05, 2017, 12:30 AM »
I got the depth and the rigs for spirit lake finally got a kokanne through the ice  first time  (it's funner to ice fish for them vs trolling) I'm going back out tomorrow
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline IceChatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2793 on: Feb 05, 2017, 02:46 AM »
I'll second IdahoGator:  small, bright pink single hook, one maggot.  Small presentations baitwise. don't be afraid of really small.  If you figure out what Kokanee want day in and day out.... I bow...because it's voo-doo.  About 5 years ago (maybe longer? maybe 8?) we had a good winter like this, and I was one of many in a group ice fishing Spirit.  The guy next to me (maybe 20 yards away) was killing it, and I didn't get a strike.  Then a couple days later, I was catching fish consistently and my dad was next to me without a hit. Same setup.  Voo Doo I tell you.

The goto rig at that time is called a "bead chain".  Black Sheep stocks them, just ask the fishing counter. It's far from fancy: just a slender silver weight with one spinner and a couple bead chains on each side.  Tie a single, very small bright pink hook about three to four inches below the bead chain (there's plenty of opinion of how long this leader should be).  Tip with one maggot.

My personal opinion is that the bead chain can be replaced with alot of different weight choices. Spoons, swedish pimples, whatever has some flash to get their attention.  The key is using a leader to get the small presentation away from whatever weight and flash you are using to get it down there.  Essentially you can see it as  a mini-rig of what you troll in the summer.

Something else I noticed:  The guys out there that were really good (I wasn't one of them) would jig the bait pretty intensely, stop, then VERY slowly, raise their rods.  This is specifically because the bite is SO light that many times you won't feel it, and that slight raise will drive the hook point, they'll feel just a little resistance, and boom.

I approach the light bite problem differently, and although I think I'm smart, the bead chain veterans would show up on the ice later than me, and leave with their limit while I was still trying to break single digits.   The bead chain is a 1/4 ounce weight.  I go instead with a really light, thin spoon (with the same 3 to 4 inch leader) in the 1/16th ounce range, and use a sensitive spring bobber (the heavier weight overloads the spring bobber).  I do basically the same thing, but then I visually watch the spring bobber for strikes.

Sacrificing a live chicken before hitting the ice might work too...I'm not sure.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2794 on: Feb 05, 2017, 10:44 AM »

Sacrificing a live chicken before hitting the ice might work too...I'm not sure.

Here's a candidate:           

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2795 on: Feb 05, 2017, 05:19 PM »
I think killing that chicken would be more therapeutic than sacrificial for whoever poured that mud. Is there any size to the Kokanee at spirit?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2796 on: Feb 05, 2017, 09:21 PM »
I been seeing 6-11" kokanne and the two I've caught were 7" 10"  really hard finding hem without a sonar (if anyone has one that works and they would be willing to sell plus let me do payments on that would be nice)
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2797 on: Feb 06, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Thanks to all who replied Rayne, Gator, Chatter- this is great info-heading out to mirror again on Thursday to give it a go.  Hopefully weather settles down

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2798 on: Feb 07, 2017, 12:47 AM »
ok so I have a question where on Priest Lake are people ice fishing cause I really want to try for those lake trout  I'm going to be loned some jigs  to fish with hope to get one one tip-ups and some on rod and reel in am very interested in interviewing trying to get them also what part of Sandpoint is frozen in heard from the scuttlebutt that guys are fishing there and getting whitefish

Offline BIGxJIMxSLADE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2799 on: Feb 07, 2017, 01:46 AM »
I second raynebid's question about kokanee rigs-I tried silver and gold Swedish pimples at mirror last week with mild success (iced 3 ) and would like to do better.  I was thinking of putting a 4-5" dropper on the pimple with a waxie jig/maggot or a bead head nymph of some kind.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Both times I have been to Mirror, there have been 2 or 3 guys that are waaay out on the lake, to the right, and they limit out each time I have seen them. Of course, they also said they were not on IceShanty, but they were friendly. I'm sure they would tell/show you what they were using. I saw the guys one setup, and he had a beaded spinner weight, and a glow hook with maggot about 5 inches under it. I didn't see/ask if he had electronics. Most of the folks there told us that it's more about location for the kokanee than anything else.

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2800 on: Feb 07, 2017, 05:27 PM »
Planning on heading up this week end to the chain lakes. I hope it's a good idea. If anyone has any info on ice conditions I would appreciate it.

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2801 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Seen a guy fishing Cave lake yesterday. The creek has been running a lot of water and with this next storm probably will be running pretty good. I imagine the ice is still pretty thick, but have not verified myself.

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2802 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:16 PM »
Thanks for the info..... Go vandals

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2803 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:10 PM »
Sorry for the absence been mostly chasing fish on the rivers.

Fished Mirror yesterday. Lots and lots of little kokanee most at 15-20'. Caught most of them on deadsticks with size 18 fly 'scud' hook with a pink maggot. Caught a nice Rainbow and a few kokanee on a small jigging Rap perch pattern.

Ice is 15" thick and snow is heavily crusted with powder beneath halfway up to the knees or higher in places. Its a slog.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2804 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:31 PM »
what mirror lake is everyone talking about

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2805 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:52 PM »
Rayne, Hwy 95 North to Sagle, turn right on Sagle Road, drive a ways, take Talache Road, a right turn, to the lake.

Note: There is a Conoco station on the west side of Hwy 95 at Sagle Road, turn east 4.6 miles.     ;)2

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2806 on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:27 PM »
Any recent reports from Hayden Sportsman's? 

Offline IceChatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2807 on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:47 PM »
Got a buddy that pretty much lives out there in the winter, waiting patiently for big trophy pike.  Ran into him at the grocerty store a few days ago and he said it's been really slow this year for some reason. 

Offline Jraystevens21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2808 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:03 PM »
I'm new here. I'm planning on heading up to Freeman lake has anyone been there or know how the ice is? Or any info on the chain lakes? As a backup plan.   Thank you.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2809 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:35 PM »
Was at freeman a few weeks ago, there was about 10" of ice. Fishing was slow. The road in was just packed down not plowed so I would imagine it is rotten now so might have to walk in from the main road

Offline WinterWizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2810 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:41 PM »
we limited on Spirit last week 3 different times (Kokanee). The ice was 12 plus inches. Most were caught 20 feet deep in 80-85 feet of water. Most were caught using a small Jig-n-Rap or #8 glow hooks tipped with red Fire corn or maggots. The ones we got were 8.5" up to 10". Used the Nautilus Rd ramp. Sonar really helps.

Offline Jraystevens21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2811 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:38 PM »
Was at freeman a few weeks ago, there was about 10" of ice. Fishing was slow. The road in was just packed down not plowed so I would imagine it is rotten now so might have to walk in from the main road
How far of a walk in is it? I'm just not sure what considered the main road. Or is it just the Freeman lake access road and walk down to the boat ramp?

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2812 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:52 PM »
It might be 1/4 to the lake from where the access road takes off of Campbell's' driveway not from the county road. Not sure how parking would be if he has plowed his driveway and made a burm, if I im out and about tommorow I'll swing over and check.

Offline Jraystevens21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2813 on: Feb 10, 2017, 12:25 AM »
That would be awesome for an update thank you yeah we
Where planning a trip Saturday hopfuly it gets cold again
To freeze up the slush.

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2814 on: Feb 10, 2017, 01:36 PM »
Hit Cocalalla yesterday.  10" of slush on top of 12" of good ice-Rain made a complete mess.  Iced 15 brook and one 17" rainbow.  Pink rat finkee jig with a worm right on the bottom in 25' of water.

Offline willrile4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2815 on: Feb 10, 2017, 08:37 PM »
Is the ice going to hold up through the weekend? Want to come up on sunday.

Offline idahnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2816 on: Feb 10, 2017, 08:43 PM »
Hit Cocalalla yesterday.  10" of slush on top of 12" of good ice-Rain made a complete mess.  Iced 15 brook and one 17" rainbow.  Pink rat finkee jig with a worm right on the bottom in 25' of water.

Any perch action Cocolalla?

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2817 on: Feb 10, 2017, 11:30 PM »
Idahnt-No Perch where we were which was straight off the boat launch-maybe others can chime in where they normally are in Cocalalla-they've got to be there don't they?

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2818 on: Feb 10, 2017, 11:32 PM »
Anyone been on Avondale lately?-how's the bite?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2819 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:36 AM »
if you have a sonar you can find the fish they have been getting hit way to hard so go further out go past the willow and big Rock, please try going there you might get more fish cause I know it's bad if I can't even get one fish in a 3 hours period  so yeah as a local fishermen help out and spread the word go out further from the spot everyone's been hitting it hard

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.