Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540105 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2760 on: Jan 26, 2017, 02:07 PM »
Thinking about cocalalla tomorrow.  Anyone know appx. ice thickness?

Thanks,

Middle paragraph at the link but, it's two days old.       :woot: :whistle:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=64932.msg3643130#msg3643130

Offline BIGxJIMxSLADE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2761 on: Jan 26, 2017, 07:55 PM »
Made it out to Mirror Lake for the first time, what a nice place. Parking was full, but a guy was just leaving as we got there. There was about 5 inches of crusty snow, with a little water underneath in spots, then a good 6 to 8 inches of good ice on the bottom. 3 different guys limited out on kokanee, but being our first time there, we didn't get a one. Never saw any on the fish finder either, and that was in 4 different spots. I did end up with a beautifully colored rainbow trout that was 11 inches, but he went back in for someone else to catch.

As we passed Cocolala, saw a lot of tracks and 3 people out on the lake.

Offline cocolallakid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2762 on: Jan 26, 2017, 07:57 PM »
Thinking about cocalalla tomorrow.  Anyone know appx. ice thickness?

Thanks,

Hey houlzhouse ice is a pretty thick 7+ maybe 8" with 4" of slush on top... That was what i seen 3 days ago and i imagine its about the same today and tomorrow... Bring water proof boots and dont plan on hiking all over the lake cuz its a pain in the ass walking around!

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2763 on: Jan 27, 2017, 12:41 AM »
13" of ice on Avondale and no slush where I was caught a few dozen perch ,6 bluegills, and 2 bass
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2764 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:26 PM »
Thanks cocallalakid!

Offline willrile4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2765 on: Jan 29, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Out on Avondale. Fishing seems,slow any one,have an idea where the fish are,located

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2766 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:06 PM »
they were that way on Friday  had to go to a very small tungsten jig and 2 maggots  before I was getting anything  I also recommend setting 4 other poles as a dead stick rigs (i put little bells on the poles so i can hear and see what one is getting hit) if  one of them keeps getting hits move to that hole and move the dead rod to the hole you just left  that's what worked best for me on Avondale
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2767 on: Jan 29, 2017, 06:51 PM »
Out over a mile at Sunnyside on Friday.  5 dink perch returned to grow up, ha.   2 - 9"ers. Chatted with a fellow with 4 - 14"ers.
One set-rod strike, maybe a nice trout.
Dawn 'til 1:30 PM.   9" of ice, 2" to 2 1/2" of slush capped with 4" to 6" of snow.   
There are some trails well packed. Best have snowshoes for most of that vast area.    ;)2
Good luck.

Offline cocolallakid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2768 on: Jan 29, 2017, 11:22 PM »
Fished upper twin for the first time today. A buddy and i were headed to the chain lakes on a pike adventure today and stopped at black sheep for bait. The guys there recommended twin lakes for some decent pike fishing and decided to save some fuel and try it. From the launch we went left towards the lakes bottleneck and found the first point coming off the banks and drilled holes. Ice was well over 14" with 7" of hard ice on top and 7" of soft underneath. Tip ups were set about 40 yds off the shoreline out to 70 yds...  10-15' of water. Smelt about a foot off bottom. No pike.
I did catch quite a few perch and one crappie on a blue spoon and perch eyes... Nothing big maybe 6 eaters (7") along with the crappie (10"). We fished that one spot for most of the day along with plenty of other people out on the ice... Didnt see anyone flag a fish....
 I am curious if anyone fishes the bottleneck or the other side (south/west) of the lake for pike?? I know theres someone reading this that knows whats up on the pike game please help a feller out!! Thanks!!!

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2769 on: Jan 30, 2017, 12:09 AM »
Fished Priest today at the north end of Cavanaugh Bay.  4 1/2 inches of solid ice with only a skiff of snow on top.  I'm still not seasoned or knowledgeable on lakers through the ice.....so I'm not sure if I'm set up the right way.  Drop shot with a Gulp minnow about 3 feet off the bottom and a couple of tube baits jigged at the same depth in 100-115 feet of water.  Lots of people on the ice and a few had some bites. 

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2770 on: Jan 30, 2017, 12:54 AM »
For folks who fish black lake....please do not block the two track that goes out past the pump house when you park. That is a private road and if it is blocked, access to that parking spot can be restricted. It has happened before! The parking in there is tight so if we work together to park so the road stays clear, we won't have to worry about access being cut off! I hope anyone who was out there today caught more pike than we did ....slowwwwwwww pike day!

Offline cocolallakid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2771 on: Jan 30, 2017, 01:51 AM »
Fished Priest today at the north end of Cavanaugh Bay.  4 1/2 inches of solid ice with only a skiff of snow on top.  I'm still not seasoned or knowledgeable on lakers through the ice.....so I'm not sure if I'm set up the right way.  Drop shot with a Gulp minnow about 3 feet off the bottom and a couple of tube baits jigged at the same depth in 100-115 feet of water.  Lots of people on the ice and a few had some bites.

I havnt fished it since 5 years ago due to lack of ice but with chartreuse hair jigs and big spoons i did okay... I know guys who swear by gulp minnows also and do well.. Today was a slow day all over it sounds like your set up is just fine i would try it again when the bite picks up!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2772 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:05 AM »
Fished Round lake Sunday.  12 -14" of good ice with 5" of frozen slush on top.  Not bad walking  or pulling a sled.  Pretty slow fishing.  Ended up with a dozen perch. 

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2773 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:14 AM »
I was out there Sunday also.  Sun-up until about 10am.  Fishing with a friend and his son.  We took a dozen perch, a trout, and a catfish home.  It was only my friend and his 13yr old sons second time ever ice fishing.  They had a good time.  The guys next to us gave them all of their perch so the boy had about 30 to clean when they got home.  I told my buddy to buy an electric filet knife so he did.  They're hooked on ice fishing and will likely never go back to an old fashioned filet knife. When we first got there, I was getting bites every time I dropped it down.  Couldn't even fish with two rods.  Seemed like it died down around 9am.  You really have to play them there.  They'd be right on the bottom then you suddenly wouldn't be getting any bites, so try moving it up about 3' off the bottom and start catching again.  Perch eyes and/or wax worms seemed to work the best.   

Fished Round lake Sunday.  12 -14" of good ice with 5" of frozen slush on top.  Not bad walking  or pulling a sled.  Pretty slow fishing.  Ended up with a dozen perch.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2774 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Still want to get out and try for pike soon.  Anyone have a Hayden report?

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2775 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:18 AM »
Headed out to the chains today to try for some pike, will report back this evening...
I fish therefore I lie

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2776 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:08 AM »
Headed out to the chains today to try for some pike, will report back this evening...
There are a fair amount of springs opening up on the rock shorelines and even a few in the middle of medicine, black, and CDA. Ice is good but just a heads up for holes out there! Black was very slow for pike but we weren't in a prime spot.

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2777 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:23 PM »
Slow day!! Spent the day at Killarney. Had two flags early but no fish. Nothing the rest of the day.
I fish therefore I lie

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2778 on: Jan 31, 2017, 03:01 AM »
well I'm going to try Avondale and trying for big perch

Offline id ice34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2779 on: Feb 01, 2017, 01:17 PM »
Anyone been out to fernan recently thinking of going tomorrow.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2780 on: Feb 01, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Yup, nice perch at the pull-out in about 18 to 20 feet on Swedish Pimples.  For some reason perch seem to be bigger on the road sized.

Offline cocolallakid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2781 on: Feb 01, 2017, 09:05 PM »
I had to work today but my bro went out in search of cocolalla trout and reported the bite was pretty slow... He was fishing off a creek mouth in 3-5' of water. Usually the fish are biting close to shore/creeks but i think noise (from walking and drilling in shallow water) and pressure from opening creek season year round the past few years in our area has changed the trout fishing... It allows people to fish closer to the creek mouths during a critical spawning/survival period for trout. In my mind it has changed both creek fishing and ice fishing for trout in cocolalla... I Recommend fishing a little deeper (5-12') of water and 50 yds (at least) from any creek mouth... This allows fish to spawn and run without too much pressure and willingly swim back and fourth between the creek and the lake... The fish dont get spooked much and are willing to bite. From my experience the biggest trout ive caught through the ice has been in this "zone". They also get a chance to spawn and survive another year to get bigger!!!...  Another good tactic for bows is out deep (100+ yds off shore) with a set rod and worm right under the ice. Bows and brookies tend to cruize just under the ice in search of hatching chrynomids. I hope those who are reading this agree, understand, and most imortantly... improve the fishing. 

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2782 on: Feb 02, 2017, 12:45 AM »
just a quick question do you have to pay for parking at round lake

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2783 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:07 AM »
Yes, it's a $5 fee at the entrance.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2784 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10:01 AM »
Not with a State Park pass.  One of the best investments you can make at the DMV

just a quick question do you have to pay for parking at round lake

Offline Simonidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2785 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:28 AM »
I just picked up my park pass at the dmv. Cant wait to exploit it.

Offline willrile4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2786 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:31 PM »
When most people on here talk about round lake you are referring to the lake up by Sandpoint correct? I know that the very southern end of lake courdelane is also refered to as round lake. I am just wondering in relation to pike and perch fishing

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2787 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:46 PM »
most of us are talking about the one by Sandpoint

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2788 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:48 PM »
ok so I need lots of help on what rigs (tackle it have the right poles)  to catch the kokanne on spirit and lower twin I know that they are 20'-30' at spirit  but I don't know what works best

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2789 on: Feb 03, 2017, 02:02 PM »
When most people on here talk about round lake you are referring to the lake up by Sandpoint correct? I know that the very southern end of lake courdelane is also refered to as round lake. I am just wondering in relation to pike and perch fishing
To clarify: The one south of Sandpoint is Round Lake State Park.     ;)2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.