Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540127 times)

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2640 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:42 AM »
Newman's ice might be good this year but does not freeze as well as Eloika in Elk.  I would be looking to Hauser in Idaho as that is nearby Newman but with better ice for some reason.
I was out on Newman Lake both the 28th and 29th of December.  No one else in sight either day.  I spudded straight out from the public launch about 200 yards, and found 4 1/2"-5" of decent ice.  There was slush on top of it the first day, but on Thursday, the ice had firmed up pretty well.  Maybe 6"-7" thick, I'm guessing.  I fished pretty much the same area both days, just catching dink perch, but I was mostly just trying out my new electronics, and auger.
   I'm guessing the ice is pretty safe about now, but no ice is ever totally safe, I guess.

Offline MNWalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2641 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:31 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. Fished Winchester a few weeks ago, nothin but rainbows all day. Maybe i'll give it another go; try get into some deeper water.

Offline BCAngler1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2642 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:39 AM »
Doing good on Ice here in the Kootenays if any of you Northern Idaho guys ever come up this way. Cranbrook area has about 18 inches on Jim Smith Lake and 13 inches on Wasa! 

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2643 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:16 AM »
BC Angler, how big are the perch running in Jim Smith?  Also how is Moyie Lake looking for Kokanee this year, thanks in advance, I live in Bonners Ferry so it is not too far of a drive for me.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2644 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Well I'm gonna hit the chains tomorrow.  Probably start at Rose and work my way down the system depending on catch rate.  Will be by myself and the wife gave me permission to fish all day   ;D.  Anyone have recent reports or conditions for any of the chains?  Looking for pike, perch, crappie.  Any or all will do.  Thanks for any info you may have!

Offline BCAngler1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2645 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:49 PM »
BC Angler, how big are the perch running in Jim Smith?  Also how is Moyie Lake looking for Kokanee this year, thanks in advance, I live in Bonners Ferry so it is not too far of a drive for me.

Theyre about 8-10 inchers, lots more smaller ones. Enough to keep ya busy anyway. Perch on Duck Lake are a lot better, but are harder to find this yr. Moyie lake last yr had good kokanee, but I found a few worms last yr at the moyie derby. Not sure bout this yr yet

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2646 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:06 PM »
Tried Thompson lake today from 1 on till dark.  Fishing was OK bite picked up in the late afternoon. 20 crappie 8 blue gill 14 FOW

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2647 on: Jan 07, 2017, 01:19 PM »
Tried Thompson lake today from 1 on till dark.  Fishing was OK bite picked up in the late afternoon. 20 crappie 8 blue gill 14 FOW
Lone pine or narrows? Any pike get iced? I couldn't get any size to the crapppie I caught in there...did you find a few eaters? Im headed to the chains tomorrow but haven't narrowed it down yet...

Offline jpolock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2648 on: Jan 07, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Deer4dinner,  we were out on Thursday, and got a few channels, no pike, 1 crappie, 1 bass, few micro perch, and some gills.  how did you do today??

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2649 on: Jan 07, 2017, 04:55 PM »
Fished Round lake today.  12" of good ice.  About 25 people out when I left.  Saw lots of fish on the screen but had to work to get them to bite.. Dozen perch, a bass, a crappie and a trout.

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2650 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:26 AM »
Fished Fernan today.  Lots of people on the lake.  Counted about 16 vehicles at the third turnout.  Nice to see lots of kids on the lake and catching fish.  Fishing was a little slower today vs last weekend.  Iced 20 perch biggest 9 inches from 8:30 to 3:00.  Ice 8-10 inches.

Packernut

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2651 on: Jan 08, 2017, 02:24 AM »
Not sure if it's worth fishing but Dover bay has good ice near Sandpoint. Lotsa hockey right at the marina today! Maybe worth fishing nearby...

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2652 on: Jan 08, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Lone pine or narrows? Any pike get iced? I couldn't get any size to the crapppie I caught in there...did you find a few eaters? Im headed to the chains tomorrow but haven't narrowed it down yet...
the crappie averaged nine inches . Big enough for me to eat. I fished around the outflow .

Offline gillsonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2653 on: Jan 08, 2017, 11:54 AM »
Fished Dawson for about an hour this morning, decent crappie bite for about the first half hour of daylight then it got real slow. 12 inches of ice. crappie run about 9 inches

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2654 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:34 PM »
I got to Rose Lake at sun up and fished for a couple hours just out from the dock.  No flags and couldn't even catch a perch.  I decided to pack up and move down to Medicine.  Caught a few dinky perch and one pike after about 3 hours there.  Pretty slow day.  Don't think it got above 10 degrees down there all day.  Glad I had my Big Buddy heater.  After I picked up there, I drove all the way down to Harrison to take a look at Anderson and Thompson.  There were two shelters set up on Thompson.  Guessing they were fishing for crappie or perch.  After the long drive and getting warmed up, I kind of lost ambition.  I sat in the truck for about 10 mins debating on whether I wanted to go set up and pack all my crap down that steep bank.  Decided not and headed back to Killarney just to check it out.  The water is so low that there's mud colored ice in front of the boat launch.  There were a couple guys waterfowl hunting in the river channel and a few others guys just getting back to their truck from around the corner near the picnic area.  They caught a few perch.  Seemed like it was pretty slow everywhere.  Tonight it's pike and deer for dinner since I didn't catch enough to feed the family. 

Can you explain where you were catching the channel cats on Rose?

Deer4dinner,  we were out on Thursday, and got a few channels, no pike, 1 crappie, 1 bass, few micro perch, and some gills.  how did you do today??

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2655 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:22 PM »
the crappie averaged nine inches . Big enough for me to eat. I fished around the outflow .
I could handle a batch of nine inch fish....well done. Trip cancelled today due to the ice skating rink they call HWY 95 from Sandpoint to CDA. Next Monday I have a trip planned for Lake CDA. Will report back.

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2656 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:23 PM »
I got to Rose Lake at sun up and fished for a couple hours just out from the dock.  No flags and couldn't even catch a perch.  I decided to pack up and move down to Medicine.  Caught a few dinky perch and one pike after about 3 hours there.  Pretty slow day.  Don't think it got above 10 degrees down there all day.  Glad I had my Big Buddy heater.  After I picked up there, I drove all the way down to Harrison to take a look at Anderson and Thompson.  There were two shelters set up on Thompson.  Guessing they were fishing for crappie or perch.  After the long drive and getting warmed up, I kind of lost ambition.  I sat in the truck for about 10 mins debating on whether I wanted to go set up and pack all my crap down that steep bank.  Decided not and headed back to Killarney just to check it out.  The water is so low that there's mud colored ice in front of the boat launch.  There were a couple guys waterfowl hunting in the river channel and a few others guys just getting back to their truck from around the corner near the picnic area.  They caught a few perch.  Seemed like it was pretty slow everywhere.  Tonight it's pike and deer for dinner since I didn't catch enough to feed the family. 

Did you see anyone fishing the main lake?

Offline IceChatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2657 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Avondale yesterday morning.  10 inches of ice and some very finicky fish... just about enough to hurt your feelings.  Tried worms and maggots and couldn't get them to hit.   It was cold, I got tired of drilling holes and packed it in after a few short hours.

Gamble this morning.  Not a ton of fish on the graph, but enough to stay interested.  The bite was light..but at least they were biting.  Sort of a cool day because i caught 3 perch (one was 11 inches, tying my personal best), 3 crappie (one keeper), 4 bluegill and one small bass. 

Scouted Bottle Bay.  Looked totally fishable but nobody on the ice.  I've never fished this bay before, so wasn't williing to test it (not knowing exactly what I'm doing out there yet).

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2658 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:41 PM »

I have caught them just outside the weedy parts of lakes where the water flows into the lake.  They are bottom feeders and will find your bait if they are around.  I used those rainbow colored jigs shaped and about the size of  your thumb nail with a stinger treble hanging off the jigs single hook.   I take say a two to three inch strip of perch meat and hang it off the jig and the attach stinger.  I drop it slightly weight under my tip up and go jig for perch and stuff while they soak.  The smaller cats won't even flag so check them once and a while.  I have caught two at a time as they try to suck the perch meat off that setup.

Not

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2659 on: Jan 08, 2017, 06:44 PM »
What do you mean by main lake?  Cave?

There were a couple other guys (assuming fishing for perch) just out from the boat launch at Rainy Hill on Medicine.  Also one other shelter off the rocks on the east side. 

There was one guy in the bay on Cave just out from the turnout off the highway and a couple others on the south side near that RV resort

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2660 on: Jan 08, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Thanks for the info bullpine.  I'll have to try harder to catch some next time.  That's a nice fish.  Good eatin'

Is there another access to Rose lake besides by the boat launch?  There were guys coming out on the ice from the southern corner, but seems like it's all private property down that way.  Maybe they live there.

(Image removed from quote.)

I have caught them just outside the weedy parts of lakes where the water flows into the lake.  They are bottom feeders and will find your bait if they are around.  I used those rainbow colored jigs shaped and about the size of  your thumb nail with a stinger treble hanging off the jigs single hook.   I take say a two to three inch strip of perch meat and hang it off the jig and the attach stinger.  I drop it slightly weight under my tip up and go jig for perch and stuff while they soak.  The smaller cats won't even flag so check them once and a while.  I have caught two at a time as they try to suck the perch meat off that setup.

Not

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2661 on: Jan 08, 2017, 06:49 PM »
If you meant the main lake as in CDA, no but it's surprising how much is frozen over.  Coming down the grade into Harrison and looking back to the south it looks like it's completely capped from St Maries just about to Harrison.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
Rose Lake
« Reply #2662 on: Jan 08, 2017, 07:04 PM »
At Rose go out farther onto the main lake and you will catch bluegills and perch, however they are shallow where you were off the docks too at times.  You don't need to go out as far as the houses on the left or east side, but it might be good out onto the main lake from there too.  If the fish aren't biting during the middle of the day it does not mean anything.  Early and late are always best until late season when they move shallow in schools and bite all day.  I usually pick a lake and fish it all day or maybe hit another just one more on the way home.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2663 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:38 AM »
Fished spirit lake for a few hours and only had one bite. Marked a couple fish at 40', we were in 80' of water. Then went to upper twin and caught a couple dozen perch but no size to any of them. Ice in both places was 10" with the top third being white and the rest clear. Stopped by Blanchard lake on the way home and drilled a hole about 100 yards out. The wind was ripping and snow was starting so didn't stay long. There was 12" and water was about 3' deep. Angered through and the blades were covered in weeds.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2664 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:37 AM »
Fished spirit lake for a few hours and only had one bite. Marked a couple fish at 40', we were in 80' of water. Then went to upper twin and caught a couple dozen perch but no size to any of them. Ice in both places was 10" with the top third being white and the rest clear. Stopped by Blanchard lake on the way home and drilled a hole about 100 yards out. The wind was ripping and snow was starting so didn't stay long. There was 12" and water was about 3' deep. Angered through and the blades were covered in weeds.

Bummer. I am really hoping to get a kokanee thru the ice this year. Hopefully the bite will start up soon.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2665 on: Jan 09, 2017, 01:30 PM »
Me too, it was like Christmas morning with the anticipation, I've been frothing at the bit for that lake. I was probably in the wrong spot using wrong lures. I still have high hopes for it.

Offline Badbleily

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2666 on: Jan 09, 2017, 04:57 PM »
Has anyone fished jewl lake this year? I'm trying to find some decent sized crappie. I did pretty good there for crappie in the summer but was wondering if anyone knows at least the ice quality on jewl due to the fact every time I fish I bring my two boys with me. Thanks for any reply in advance.

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2667 on: Jan 09, 2017, 05:28 PM »
If you meant the main lake as in CDA, no but it's surprising how much is frozen over.  Coming down the grade into Harrison and looking back to the south it looks like it's completely capped from St Maries just about to Harrison.
Yeah sorry about that, I meant CDA. Headed there next Monday for some Pike n perch.
Thanks!
Cody

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2668 on: Jan 09, 2017, 05:56 PM »
any good pike bite on the chain lakes  planning to go tomorrow just need some information
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2669 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Has anyone fished jewl lake this year? I'm trying to find some decent sized crappie. I did pretty good there for crappie in the summer but was wondering if anyone knows at least the ice quality on jewl due to the fact every time I fish I bring my two boys with me. Thanks for any reply in advance.

Haven't fished it this year but I would reason given the ice conditions on nearby Cocolalla and Round that you more than good good to go. Cocolalla had 8" of ice this evening (3" white + 5" dark ice).

Another place that can pump out the crappies is Gamble Lake and ice is safe there too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.