Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540129 times)

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2580 on: Jan 01, 2017, 05:30 PM »
May help to Google barometric pressure and note a few reasons for lock-jaw.      ;)2
Yesterday morning it was dropping but wasn't bad. 29.90 when I left. Usually on the drop but not the bottom, fishing can be good. I definitely pay attention to it. I figured the morning bite would have been hot but the slime balls had me fooled yesterday. I'll be excited to get out there on this cold high pressure next week.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2581 on: Jan 01, 2017, 05:42 PM »
I wish you luck.

Looks as though the pressure is gonna be up to about 30.75 by Wednesday.

Who knows, that may cause hunger.      :unsure:

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2582 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:31 PM »
I hardly ever catch anything on my tip-ups.  Using fishing wire and treble hooks with smelt.  What am I doing wrong? Should I be using Floracarbon.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2583 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:02 PM »
I would really need see your set-up, Bullpine.

To insure more action and stave off boredom, devote one device to a jigging rod and target perch or trout.     ;)2

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2584 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:28 PM »

Basic quick strike rig.  Wire and hooks.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2585 on: Jan 02, 2017, 12:06 AM »
And double swivels, prefect.  Not a thing wrong with that.    :thumbsup:

Somewhere, I've seen trick ways to hook/mount a bait so it hangs horizontal or slightly head down.

Have you seen this? :    http://www.muskyhunter.com/forum/showthread.php?2768-Help-with-quick-strike-rigs-dead-bait

Maybe you are way beyond those ideas.

27 pages of just Topics for pike on Iceshanty :  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=39.0

Do you set the height above bottom with sonar or a camera?

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2586 on: Jan 02, 2017, 01:18 AM »
Good looking setup bullpine, especially for lakes where the fish aren't pressured a ton. The only real difference with my setup is I use very little weight but not sure if that's gonna matter. I use some flouro setups but I haven't noticed a big catch difference. I usually set my stuff at somewhat random intervals off the bottom from a couple inches to midwater to couple feet under the ice near an area I think pike cruise like weed edges, depth changes, or the mouths of bays. Early ice I like 6 FOW to about 12 and mid ice I tend to go deeper and late ice I'll go back to my shallow sets in bays and spawning flats as shallow as 5 FOW. I don't usually set with a flasher, I just use the old clip weight method to find depth and go from there. I will say that native bait(perch mainly) is my best producing bait. Keep a bunch of those dinks and freeze em so you've got bait to set with initially then catch a couple fresh dinks and hook them up as the day goes on. Best advice, go fishing some old crusty fishin fool who you know is on the ice a lot! Good luck.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2587 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:15 AM »
 Bullpine,  my pike rig looks just the same as yours, except I switched to fluorocarbon.  It at least doubled my catch rate.  But that is still pretty slow.  I use 40# test.  Never had a bite off, but you should check the line after each catch.

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2588 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Bullpine,  my pike rig looks just the same as yours, except I switched to fluorocarbon.  It at least doubled my catch rate.  But that is still pretty slow.  I use 40# test.  Never had a bite off, but you should check the line after each catch.

Blue how do you run your dead bait hook set up with flouro? In MT all we used were flouro rigs with a single #2 hook but we were after walleye As well. I'm sure that's not gonna work too well on these larger deadbait setups.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2589 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:47 PM »
JC I tie my own with 40# floro line not leader.  I do it just like the one in the pic except my second hook just slides on the line.  Looks like Bullpine may have a stop on his to keep the second hook from sliding all the way down to the first hook.  I don't bother with that and its never been a problem. 

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2590 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:19 PM »
JC I tie my own with 40# floro line not leader.  I do it just like the one in the pic except my second hook just slides on the line.  Looks like Bullpine may have a stop on his to keep the second hook from sliding all the way down to the first hook.  I don't bother with that and its never been a problem.
Gotcha. Curious how long you run flouro off of your tip up line? Do you think it needs to be fairly long to be effective? 2 ft? 4ft? More? I like the slide idea. I think if I did catch n release maybe I would want a stationary upper hook but I can't think of the last time I've ever released a pike in Idaho! Especially on the chain lakes.
Thanks for the info.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2591 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:31 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I guess I will be using those dink perch for bait as I thought the herring were better.  They smell too much anyhow.  Most of my rigs slide with a piece of surgical tubing.  That was one I made otherwise.  What I really need to do is soak my baits more but sometimes I am moving around a lot looking for perch and crappie and don't set the tip ups.  In-Fisherman had a deal where you jig spoons for pike in the middle of your traps and moved your traps as you got flags.  If I get hardcore I might do that.  That tip about shallow early and late is a good one.  Probably haven't set-up in the right places too. Thanks again for the help.

Offline IceChatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2592 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Absolute pleasure reading your posts guys.  I've been poaching off this site for about three years now (reading but not saying anything).  I've been listening to IdahoGator and Blueduck for many years now, and it's been a real pleasure....thank you guys!!!  Figured it was about time for me to start helping.

Gamble (thats what I call it..cause I can't actually pronounce it's real name and if you live in Hayden..it's a gamble):  Did great two weeks ago.  Bite was aggressive. Caught my personal biggest perch (full 11 inches, measured).  Super fun.  Last couple weeks:  Fish on the graph but finicky.  Four hours netting 5 to 10 perch, which I'm still happy with, but it's hard work.

Avondale:  Anybody could have could have killed it out there a few weeks ago.  Was pretty sure I was the Gift of God to ice fishing until today.  I finished my after-christmas honey-doos and ran out there for a confidence boost.  Uhm......

First of all...I forgot my gloves.  No problem!  I had my little buddy.  Got out there, got started, but my little buddy wouldn't light.   It was cold as hell and the wind was blowing.  No gloves and no heater?  No problem...I'm tough.  Fish on the graph.  They were extremely intersted in looking...but no hits.  I spent 40 minutes retying all the options in my arsenal.  NO HITS.   Now my hands were frozen popsicles.  I had to quickly grab my gear and run for the car. 

Still so much to learn. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2593 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:39 PM »
Glad to have you on Iceshanty, IceChatter.    ( try saying those two quickly several times, ha.)

Thank you for the compliment ~ now I'll try to live up to it, ha, just know, I learned from many others, some passed and I'm grateful to them all.    :bow:

You may need a heater the next 3 days or more.     ;)2

Maybe we'll meet up on the ice ~ I'll be that old guy in need of help, ha.

Take care man and good luck.

Tom

sihlms391

« Reply #2594 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:19 PM »
Fished avondale with my ownmy son today.  Caught some nice perch.   Bite was really light.  9/10 inch fish.   7 inches ice now.  Fished in a tent. 

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2595 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:28 PM »
Welcome IceChatter.  I think this is a great site.  Lots of helpful people.  Looks like we have a good ice season started.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2596 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:48 PM »
JC, I only run about 2 feet.  Seems to work and I like to keep it simple.

Offline IceChatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2597 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:56 PM »
I'll post what I know.  Thank you again.  Three years of free guiding by you guys deserves that at the very least  (and of course, take it for what it's worth).   

My old man is pretty obscessed with pend oreille: fry creek, the condos, bottle bay, and that other place (up by hope...I can't remember the name right now).  Looks like we are in for a cold snap so maybe these bays will be in play soon.

I'll let you know if he has any reports.  He's retired, so will get on them quick!
IceChatter

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2598 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:59 PM »
Hm, That other place up by Hope?  Careless there as the water is very deep and seldom gets hard.   

Could you be thinking of a shore-mountain side that is known as being sunny?     :roflmao: :whistle:

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2599 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:09 AM »
Hm, That other place up by Hope?  Careless there as the water is very deep and seldom get hard.   

Could you be thinking of a shore-mountain side that is known as being sunny?     :roflmao: :whistle:

Hardly any ice in Ellisport Bay right now.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2600 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:18 AM »
Sorta deep at Ellisport Bay too.     I've seen it solid, but a tug went across and right after a car tried and went down. So sad.  C2H6O was involved.

My clue to IceChatter was 'Sunnyside' , we'll see if he notices.    ;)2

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2601 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:21 AM »
-6 this am in Bonners Ferry. I had some tough biting crappie and gills the other day, I had to make sure I was changing maggots and keeping the jig looking good with the plastic tail, had to fish about 2 or 3 feet above the marks and tease them up, most that would swim up would bite.

Offline BIGxJIMxSLADE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2602 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:08 AM »
Anyone been to Sportsman's access at Hayden in the past few days?
Planning on going in the next day or 2 and I was wondering if I would need to bring my chains along to get up and down the hill of the parking area, or if it's clear pavement? I have 4wd, but don't have studded tires. 
We got stuck in Farragut one year from ice on the launch ramp road and don't want a repeat. ;)
Thanks in advance.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2603 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:03 AM »
I was there on Saturday.  It was a little soft then.  I didn't dare drive all the way to the launch.  I have a full size 4x4 SUV and brand new AT tires but no studs or chains.  I parked in the midway parking lot.  The entrance to the lot off the road was soft and rutted up.  A little squirrely gettin' out but no problem.  Had I driven all the way down though, it may have been another story.  Probably better now with the cold but the ruts will be rough and frozen.  If in doubt, just park up top or midway and walk. 

Planning on going in the next day or 2 and I was wondering if I would need to bring my chains along to get up and down the hill of the parking area, or if it's clear pavement? I have 4wd, but don't have studded tires. 
We got stuck in Farragut one year from ice on the launch ramp road and don't want a repeat. ;)
Thanks in advance.

Offline rolstad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2604 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Thank you sir
Did you get to fish the upper end of Lower Twin?

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2605 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:15 PM »
We fished Avondale on the 29th and 31st. 40-50 perch each day to go along with 4 trout each day as by-catch. We used glow hooks tipped with a small piece of night crawler about 2 inches off the bottom. Tons of people fishing that lake and most were catching, but tip-up action appeared to be very slow or non-existent. Most of the perch caught were females fat with eggs, a tasty addition to our fish fry!

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2606 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Thanks in advance.

Just went this morning and fell through the ice which surprised me as there were snowmobile tracks about 5 yards away from me and I was only 20 yards offshore. Ruined my plans for the day.  :'(

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2607 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:59 PM »
where did you go in at cause I know a guy was out there on new years day with a 4wheeler he went over a couple Springs to the left of the boat launch
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2608 on: Jan 03, 2017, 02:30 PM »
Just went this morning and fell through the ice which surprised me as there were snowmobile tracks about 5 yards away from me and I was only 20 yards offshore. Ruined my plans for the day.  :'(

Ouch !   The Polar Bear Plunge was 2 days ago.       :woot: :sick:

Could you give us more details?    After you warm-up a bit and have an attitude adjustment.    Things like depth, getting out, stripping down, getting warmed, having dry clothes or not. Careful about any "blue words" used. 

Glad you're out and with us, spiltmilt.     :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2609 on: Jan 03, 2017, 03:27 PM »
Ouch !   The Polar Bear Plunge was 2 days ago.       :woot: :sick:

Could you give us more details?    After you warm-up a bit and have an attitude adjustment.    Things like depth, getting out, stripping down, getting warmed, having dry clothes or not. Careful about any "blue words" used. 

Glad you're out and with us, spiltmilt.     :thumbsup: :clap:

Plan was to fish the point at the end of the park. Hiked down and test drilled about 10 yards north off the end of the fishing dock. 3.5" of "white ice". Didn't feel good about that so tried another spot 20 yards south and closer to shore....only 2.5" of poor ice. Grabbed my things and headed back southwest towards the ramp. Passed the other fishing dock and saw numerous tracks from a snowmobile as well as sleds. Drilled a test hole 8' deep with 3" of hard ice and a 1.5" of slush ice. Dropped a tipup with herring. Walked out away from the bank towards deeper water and my left leg punched thru. I slid back and managed to throw my right leg out. I wear Columbia Snow pants that have a broad velcro strap that wraps tightly around the ankle as well as a recessed secondary cuff that goes inside my Sorel boots that also cinch around the top. This gave me a full 15 seconds before I had any water intrusion into the boot.

During that time I quickly surmised that I had stepped into slush hole about as wide as my body rather than busting thru ice. It more like I sank then busted thru. I pulled my ice picks but with my right leg resting on solid ice I decided to use that leverage and roll back the direction I had come. It work perfectly and I rolled a couple time and stood up. All of this took about 30-45 seconds.

My lower left was wet but my foot only felt damp...at first. I carefully retrieved the auger and shovel. Grabbed my tipup and hiked back to the car about a 5 minute hike. My leg didn't feel chilled but as I walked the water trapped in the wool liner of the Sorels worked its way down soaking my foot. I never wear cotton instead using polyester or fleece base layers with quick dry or fleece mid-layers as well as wool socks with polyester liners. I did bring a spare set of clothes but decided to just change out the footwear at the car. I quickly warmed my feet and within a half of driving my pants had completely dried from the heaters.

Due to the clothing and gear prep I had as well bringing ice picks I didn't really feel scared more just bummed because I knew my day of fishing ruined.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.