Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540129 times)

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2310 on: Jan 03, 2016, 04:08 PM »
Checked the N W side of spirit today. Very thin ice and open water about 75 yards out.

Looks like it will be a least another week before it's even worth trying.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2311 on: Jan 03, 2016, 08:38 PM »
KXLY just had a small story on the twin lakes man. They said law enforcement is urging people to stay off of all lakes and ponds. Now it looks like the weather is gonna warm up and snow for a few days.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2312 on: Jan 03, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Here's the link:      KXLY TV Spokane

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2313 on: Jan 03, 2016, 09:22 PM »
Fished Cottonwood Bay (Chatcolet)  3-4" of good ice.  Fair perch bite enough for a meal.  Need more info on Fernan?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2314 on: Jan 03, 2016, 10:55 PM »
Just so everyone knows Avondale's ice is well over 5" in some places so if you want to be safe go there it has just as many chances for perch, bass, trout, crappie  and sunfish as any of the other lakes your pike fishing is going to be extremely hard because there's so few
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2315 on: Jan 03, 2016, 11:46 PM »
I just watched the news on the guy that went through on Upper twin. It sounds like he was prepared and lucky. It also sounded like the news was trying to put a scare in people that don't know what they are doing and are unprepared. BE PREPARED AND ERROR ON CAUTION. Shepard lk. has about 5 in of ice about 100ft out. I didn't go much further out as I was Solo and I know there are springs in that lake. I did catch a few perch that were small. I did see 3 guys out on Cocollala at the north end. What is the ice report from there.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2316 on: Jan 04, 2016, 12:12 AM »
We did get to Round today. 4  to 4 1/2 inches of solid ice just south and east of the east dock.  Using maggots we only landed 8 perch and kept only 4 which were 7-9 inches.  People were catching rainbows but most of the action was in the morning and dropped off around noon.  Several groups had a decent catch from the morning. 

I posted about Blue lake having some slush layers yesterday even though the ice layers were firm with the colder temps.  It sounds like once it warms up later this week that we all need to be careful to see if the hard ice stays hard or if some of those slush layers get thicker and weaken the hard ice. 

Offline Scotthum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2317 on: Jan 04, 2016, 01:40 PM »
Hello everyone.    Been coming on this page for a long time.  To get all the updates.  Figured I should register so I can help give info and ask questions :).     

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2318 on: Jan 04, 2016, 01:54 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty, Scotthum.       :thumbsup:

Took me two years to read almost the entire site before joining the addiction, ha.     ;)2

:icefish:

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2319 on: Jan 04, 2016, 02:31 PM »
Today's was wondering got some new jigs for my birthday went out to Avondale and had fun
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Scotthum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2320 on: Jan 04, 2016, 09:57 PM »
Has anyone fished out on fernan yet? On saturday I walked about 10 feet out on the ice and drilled a hole
 and it was 4in thick.  But I was not brave enough to go out further.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2321 on: Jan 04, 2016, 10:16 PM »
Brave survivor, as I see it, Scotthum.     ;)2

Electric drill , 6", 8" auger ?

If that ice was 'milky' you got it right.     If it was all clear crystal ice, 3 could join hands and jump on it with no problem but, I like being safe.     And, If you're alone, YIKES.     :roflmao:

Pucker power keeps you/us safe, ha.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2322 on: Jan 05, 2016, 09:32 AM »
Fished Hayden on Saturday for about 3 1/2 hours (9-12:30ish).  9 tip-ups between my wife and I, no flags. Solid 3 1/2", but wouldn't venture across the creek outlet.   Talked to one guy as we were leaving that had been there since daylight and had only had one flag.  He said another group of 8 guys with 40 tip-ups had only had about a half dozen flags and iced 2 pike in the same amount of time.  Have to park up top so it's a long hike back to the truck when your 4 year old decides she's not walking. 

I fished Avondale by myself on Sunday for just a couple hours.  I've never ice fished that lake, so wasn't sure where to go.  I moved around a little, but stuck with where people had already been.  Solid 8" of ice.  I was getting tiny little bites like they were just nudging it pretty much everywhere I fished (likely dinky perch).  I ended up catching a total of 3 perch about 5" long just an inch or so off the bottom in about 15' of water.  Got cold with the wind and came home.

Took a drive yesterday to Fernan to see what it looked like.  One guy out there about 50yds out from the big turnout.  Watched him for about 10mins and he landed 3 fish.  Looked like a couple perch and a trout, but didn't have my binoculars.  Might give it a try today or tomorrow with my daughter.  Doesn't appear anyone has ventured to the other side yet. 

A friend wants to fish Hayden this week, so we'll probably get out there again on Thurs or Fri.

Anyone been to Rose, Medicine, Killarney, or Gamble?

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2323 on: Jan 05, 2016, 01:35 PM »
I stopped by the sportmans access on Rose yesterday to check ice. No fishing cause I was in the clock but I walked out a good 30 yards and opened a recently drilled hole. The ice was at least 4" but probably closer to 5. I didn't have my ice scoop measuring stick.

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2324 on: Jan 05, 2016, 01:40 PM »
Anyone been on Hauser?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2325 on: Jan 06, 2016, 02:50 PM »
By Friday there will be posts and rope to go up and down the hill at Avondale  if you see the rope cut or gone and the posts pulled let me know cause some local hoodlums might mess with it (I know it will happen just don't know when)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2326 on: Jan 06, 2016, 03:50 PM »
By Friday there will be posts and rope to go up and down the hill at Avondale  if you see the rope cut or gone and the posts pulled let me know cause some local hoodlums might mess with it (I know it will happen just don't know when)

As they say on the plains of Africa, use enough gun.     :woot: >:D ;)2

Offline icefish99

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2327 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:25 PM »
Thanks for the help pulling the sled up the hill at Avondale. What a welcome to have a stranger offer to help. Thanks again.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2328 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:45 PM »
Your welcome

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2329 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Planning to hit Hayden tomorrow (Thurs 1/6).  A little worried about the ice though after the warm weather the last couple days.  Was anyone out there today by chance?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2330 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:20 PM »
Some of my friends were and he said 5"

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2331 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:30 PM »
Great I hope so.  Thank you!

Some of my friends were and he said 5"

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2332 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:34 PM »
Yep

Offline Scotthum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2333 on: Jan 08, 2016, 12:20 AM »
Anyone know how avondale is looking?  I want to go saturday morning.  Is the ice still good after these warmer days?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2334 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:11 AM »
Ice is still good just a small amount of slush but not even an inch of it ice is still thick and safe if you stay to the left of the hockey rink (there is a few springs to the right of it) I'll be out tomorrow as well

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2335 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:12 AM »
Well do to being sick and as the saying goes coughing up a lung I'll be unable to get out to put the posts in the ground I'll have to wait until I'm betting to go do that

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2336 on: Jan 08, 2016, 11:02 AM »
Well do to being sick and as the saying goes coughing up a lung I'll be unable to get out to put the posts in the ground I'll have to wait until I'm betting to go do that

Oh man, that crud is going around.  It runs it's due course and the down time is rough, especially when you want to be out in it/on it.   I wish you well !!!   :sick:

Offline Scotthum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2337 on: Jan 08, 2016, 06:52 PM »
Anyone been to fernan?  Or know how the ice is?  I was going to avondale in the morning.  But would rather go fernan if there is enough ice.

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2338 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:01 PM »
Anyone been to fernan?  Or know how the ice is?  I was going to avondale in the morning.  But would rather go fernan if there is enough ice.

There's enough ice on Fernan in places but the ice thickness is really variable over very short distances.  For example, today I drilled a hole in one spot near the east end of the lake and had 5" of hard ice.  Eight feet away I drilled another hole because the ice crackled under foot.  I had 2.5 inches of ice with an inch or so of water/slush on top.  Be very careful on Fernan.

Offline Yellowice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2339 on: Jan 08, 2016, 10:55 PM »
Fished kelso this a.m.  5" of good ice holding.  2" of slushy snow on top.  Holes drilled in previous days are deteriorating quickly.  Fished from sun up till 11 and caught a limit of little rainbows.  Hot bite was  between 730-830

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.