Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540110 times)

Offline perchsoup

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2040 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:22 AM »
Went to Freeman Lake last Sunday. Ice was good but fishing wasn't. Not a bite. No people , must of been a reason. I have only fished it a couple of times in the summer but caught trought and some big bluegills.  Plan to go to Blue Lake on thursday, will keep you posted!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2041 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Word is someone took a 37 pound pike out of upper twin last week. 

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2042 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:31 AM »
Dang! A 37 pounder would be awesome. Thank you for the info! I might try it out next weekend if we still have some decent ice.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2043 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:43 PM »
Must have been the only one in there.  Gorging on all the dinky perch!  Ha

Word is someone took a 37 pound pike out of upper twin last week.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2044 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:17 PM »
So when you got some action at Fernan, did it seem like any particular color, bait, or presentation did the trick or they'd just hit anything when the came through? 

Fished Black Lake today on the North side. Walked across and fished the outlet for pike and perch. No flags and only 3 perch and I had to work for those.  Fishing Buddy didn't mark but three fish. Very slow!
As far as Fernan location for perch 18 FOY, but no rhyme or reason for location.  Got lucky in three holes, a school came through and fishing was good for a few minutes, then dead again. Fishing mainly the east side, but no pattern as of yet.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2045 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:14 PM »
Fished Round lake today.  8" good ice.  Limited on trout.  Saw a couple of people on Cocolalla when I went by.

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2046 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:19 AM »
Went to Fernan and caught some perch, a nice trout and a huge largemouth bass. Gave up on the chain lakes. I'll wait till February.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2047 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:08 PM »
Any new on how the ice is on Avondale need to know before Friday
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2048 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:33 PM »
Hey BlueDuck -

I met you out at Round Lake last season, were you getting your bows on tip ups again this time around?

Thanks!

Offline free_spirit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2049 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:38 PM »
Hi all! I'm back again in the area after being gone for several years. I'm after the big perch this season. I know there are some in Gamblin. Caught an 11 incher day before yesterday, but bite was real slow and then almost non existent yesterday. On the big lake, I saw that Bottle Bay was frozen out almost to the mouth, but I don't know if the ice is any good. Also saw a couple of fisherman out at Springy Point.

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2050 on: Jan 14, 2015, 04:18 PM »
Awesome to hear Bottle bay is freezing up. I'd love to catch some of those monster perch. Anyone hear about ice conditions out there?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2051 on: Jan 14, 2015, 04:25 PM »
Huge... I remember talking to you.  Yep Im still using the tip ups for trout.   I usually gig for perch with two rods and set 3 tipups out for trout. Works for me...

Offline Vashtgn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2052 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:10 PM »
I fished cocolalla today, completely dead. Talked to a guy working 4 ft who was hitting trout yesterday. Movement on the Marcum was next to none and what was there sure was not biting.  >:(

Offline Vashtgn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2053 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:36 PM »
Well now that I know I don't have to work tomorrow my butt will be out on Hayden trying to find the pike.  :)

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2054 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:49 PM »
Good luck Vashtgn let me know how thick the ice is out there 
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2055 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:50 PM »
Fished Fernan and had never seen so many small perch. For every keeper, I had to have caught 7-8 dinks (some less than 3inches). Lots of moving around to find fish. I'd mark a few, catch 2 or 3 and then have to move on. I did end up catching and releasing three decent bows while jigging for perch. Sure a better fight than those 3 inch perch.

Offline Vashtgn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2056 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:52 PM »
Fished Fernan and had never seen so many small perch. For every keeper, I had to have caught 7-8 dinks (some less than 3inches). Lots of moving around to find fish. I'd mark a few, catch 2 or 3 and then have to move on. I did end up catching and releasing three decent bows while jigging for perch. Sure a better fight than those 3 inch perch.

I've never fished Fernan what access is best to start from?

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2057 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:54 PM »
Went to Fernan and caught some perch, a nice trout and a huge largemouth bass. Gave up on the chain lakes. I'll wait till February.

Not looking for gps coordinates but what area of the lake did you land the LM. I've had 3 tip-ups out each time I've fished Fernan without any luck and assume the pike will be in similar areas as the bass.

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2058 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:00 PM »
I've never fished Fernan what access is best to start from?

I'm sure others with more experience in the area will chime in cause this is my first winter in ID but I have accessed the lake at the main dock on the southwest end and then from the pullouts from the road that parallels the lake in the north side.

Offline Vashtgn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2059 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:03 PM »
I'm sure others with more experience in the area will chime in cause this is my first winter in ID but I have accessed the lake at the main dock on the southwest end and then from the pullouts from the road that parallels the lake in the north side.

Thanks if Hayden isn't on the bite I will head there and see what damage I can do.

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2060 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:35 AM »
When I caught my largemouth I was on the north east side of Fernan. I caught  the bass a rainbow and perch all out of the same exact hole. Using the same lure as well. I'd just find a pullout, walk across the lake and find a point that looks promising and start drilling holes.

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2061 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:43 AM »
As far as pike go I haven't heard anyone catching pike anywhere. I'd say I've definitely hit it hard looking for pike these past few weeks. Earlier I was catching a lot of them, in about 3 feet of water. Since then I went about 6 times, focusing only on pike, with about 10-15 tip ups each time and have gotten 0 flags.

Offline Vashtgn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2062 on: Jan 15, 2015, 12:17 PM »
Pike are on the bite on hayden today.

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2063 on: Jan 15, 2015, 12:46 PM »
Good to hear! You on the east side by the sportsman access?

Offline Vashtgn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2064 on: Jan 15, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Yes sir. Good ice and only about 11 people out here.

Offline goodtymes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2065 on: Jan 15, 2015, 01:53 PM »
New to the sport today at fernan. Not a bite! Any tips. Bate? Areas to fish? Any help would help

Offline Vashtgn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2066 on: Jan 15, 2015, 02:01 PM »
The pike are biting on perch on hayden today. Rainbows were hitting night crawlers on cocolalla, Perch were hitting on moon jigs tipped with maggots yesterday

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2067 on: Jan 15, 2015, 02:06 PM »
That's awesome catch some pike for me! I can't seem to do it!!  I use a silver Kastmaster for perch rainbows and bass. I'm gonna put some glow hooks on em next time see if it makes a difference.

Offline free_spirit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2068 on: Jan 15, 2015, 02:51 PM »
Cool. Any size to the Cocolala perch? People are catching bluebacks up at Mirror lake in the morning. A little slow but a few limits. I got up there late and caught 7 in three hours.

Offline BIGxJIMxSLADE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2069 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:04 PM »
 Got out on Avondale at about 8:30 am today. Only 2 others out. Ice is still 5ish inches with 3 clear topped by 2 white. The perch bite was non stop all day, but all were 6 inches and under. Got 1 small crappie, and 4 largemouth bass, with one about 18 inches and 3 lbs. Great little battle with the tiny ice pole. Put them all back. All caught on 1/32 pink jig with cut piece of perch, thru same hole, just off the bottom.
 One of the other guys caught 3-4 keeper perch, but he was way down at the north end.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.