Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540106 times)

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1980 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:06 PM »
I ended up fishing Fernan because I didn't want to drive far with the snow. I caught at least a dozen perch, one crappie, and two bows. I had tip-ups all day for pike and only one flag (a miss). It was just good to finally get back on the hard water.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1981 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:57 PM »

Can someone clean up this "North Idaho Ice page" with 99 pg.

Howdy Mike, actually where the cleanup should begin is in your 'profile' .   Just select 'Show Newest" as it's now set to 'Oldest first'.   Once you do that, (and only you can do that), you'll be pleased to see this showing up properly.  It's caveman easy.   Good luck.     ;)2

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1982 on: Jan 03, 2015, 01:10 PM »
Avondale is doing okay for the perch bite but it's slow got a lot of little ones and one big 11+inch perch the ice is 5 1/2" thick
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1983 on: Jan 03, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Fished the east end of Fernan this morning with my daughter.  Iced two trout.  Perch bite was nill for me off the couple of points I visited.  Maybe the perch were further down in the deeper part of the basin.  I was fishing 15-18 FOW.  Ice is 3.5-4 inches thick.  It's good clear ice right now but that may not be enough to hold up very well  during next week's warm up.  Be careful next weekend.

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1984 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:53 AM »
Fished Fenan solo today from 10:30 to 1:30. I met a nice fisherman from Smelterville.  It made the slow day very enjoyable.  Caught one small trout and missed many perch.  He did better with 6 perch 5 of which were in the 9-10 inch range.  I was fishing with worms in 21.5 FOW.  He did better with maggots and eyes.   We were using combinations of jigs and Swedish pimples.  Fishing again Sunday and if the snow that is projected with the rain to follow I will be in the green shanty from Sportsman's.   Let's hope this rain stays way and we get some folder temps than expected.  For those who fish Washington.  I some a nice picture today of a bucket full of nice perch from Moses Lake right at the park off I-90.

Packernut

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1985 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Checked out Hauser which had about 3 inches of ice near shore and I punched through with three strikes from my spud at about 100 feet from shore. Drilled about 2.5 inches of ice out there, maybe just 2 inches.  Could not get to where I wanted to fish and not enough ice for me anyhow.  Did not fish.  >:( But did not swim either. ;D

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1986 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:03 PM »
Can someone clean up this "North Idaho Ice page" with 99 pg. started in 2007 is a bit to much or start a new page titled something like " Panhandle Ice".

BlueDuck would not like that! >:( 

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1987 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Really makes no difference to me.  Lots of history on this thread though.  I guess I have never seen the problem some others do.  I just start on the last page each time I log on  (it sorta seems like a no brainer to me). 

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1988 on: Jan 04, 2015, 10:14 PM »
I like it because I can look back at other years when we actually had lots of ice.  What Mike is probably wanting is what the Moderator has been trying to get the different state forum to do and that is have a Lake Thread for each lake in say North Idaho.   But those threads are supposed to go on for year after year too.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1989 on: Jan 04, 2015, 10:35 PM »
Agreed, it's a no brainer.     :bow:

He was given good instructions above on how to fix "His" problem, within his profile.

That's enough, and "We" need do nothing, as it's not broken.     ;)2

This thread is a perfect chronological record.

Thanks to BlueDuck who precedes most of us. 

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1990 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:11 AM »
I have 8 inches of new snow in the yard in Bonners Ferry.  I had been on one of the area lakes and it was looking good, with this snow I will not expect the ice to stay safe.  >:(

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1991 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:24 AM »
Just when it was starting to be safe on some of the lakes, we get a dump of snow with rain following.  Bummer.  I got 8" here last night on top of 6" and then it turned to rain sometime during the night.  Heavy wet slop this morning.  Not when we need.... 

Offline farmer_aa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1992 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:45 PM »
Over the weekend there was up to 4 1/4" of good ice on Chatcolet.  Most said that the least they saw was 3", and there were people that had ventured a long ways out.  The ice was good everywhere except at the boat launch at Rocky, where an air boat had gone out.   Lots more shots heard than good fishing reports, but my buddy and I managed about 20 small perch (bait sized) and two northerns.  My fish was my personal best for weight, and first ever on a tip up!  I have a picture under the "pictures of your kids fishing" thread at http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=111949.440  It was the only flag, and all other reports that I heard indicate very slow fishing.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1993 on: Jan 05, 2015, 05:57 PM »
How much ice is at Rose Lake? Anybody fishing Fernan today?  Chatcolet had 3" of ice but it could go fast.

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1994 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:39 PM »
Went to Cave Lake, Thu Fri Sat. About 4 1/2 or more inches of ice. Checked Medicine lake had about the same. Killarney seemed to only have about 2 to 2 1/2 inches as well as Black lake. Found Zero perch but had about 5-6 flags a day on cave landed about 10 through the 3 days. Gonna go check out Cave again tomorrow. See if I can squeeze one last day until it gets unsafe again....unless it already is

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1995 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:59 PM »
I fished Fernan again Sunday from 11:00 to 3:30.  5 inches of good ice.  Two other shanty's on the ice when I arrived.  It was a beautiful day with a lot of snow, nice and warm in the shanty even without a heater.  Drilled 3 holes hoping to use the underwater camera but action was steady.  Fished in 21.2 FOW right out from the second turnout.  Most action was before noon when I had a triple.  It seemed a school would come through and they would hit, then slow for awhile.  Jigging helped.  Caught 15 perch and two nice rainbows both released in the 12-13 inch range.  Kept 10 perch largest 10 inches and nothing under 8 inches kept.  9 female with eggs.   Great perch fry tonight with potato pancakes and buttered rye bread ( just like I remember when I was a kid back in Wisconsin).  Eyes were the bait of choice on Swedish pimple with single hook.  A few guys showed up late to put tip ups close to shore.  They were gone by the time I left, not sure if they had any luck.  The red shanty had two fisherman and they caught 9 trout and 5 or so perch using Swedish pimples. 

Packernut

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1996 on: Jan 06, 2015, 04:58 PM »
Hey got a big question have any of you guys/girls thought about setting up a ice fishing how to Seminar then ice fishing tournament for the younger generation
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1997 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:24 PM »
Fished Fernan today. 4-5" of ice, but very sloppy on top with 2-3" of water.  Did manage to bucket a few perch and four trout between the two of us.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1998 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Hey got a big question have any of you guys/girls thought about setting up a ice fishing how to Seminar then ice fishing tournament for the younger generation

http://www.idahoyouthoutdoors.org/

Talk to Perch Freak or Woodland about that. The kids have a blast.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1999 on: Jan 07, 2015, 11:09 AM »
If anybody is down around Athol and they need fishing or some hunting supplies "Loves trading Post aka Cenex" now carries fishing and hunting supplies and they also sell hunting and fishing licenses. I saw last night that they got in some fresh Maggots and night crawlers. They also carry hardware and feed supplies.

Offline NedShneebly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2000 on: Jan 07, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Chain lakes were a mess yesterday. Tried to fish cave lake but there was just too much standing slush/water to really fish. Ice was still thick enough though. I'll try again tomorrow.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2001 on: Jan 07, 2015, 12:45 PM »
Cocolalla and Round Lakes are a mess due to that big snow dump. With good boots maybe, and snowshoes, snow scoop, pump.  Best wait a while.    :-\

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2002 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:33 PM »
I got some new hip waders for my birthday I'm going to try them  out tomorrow on Avondale

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2003 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:41 PM »
Jeebers, hip waders ?   How deep is it out there ?      :woot: :roflmao:

I'll give you 20, maybe 25 minutes to freeze yer footsies.     ;)

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2004 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:03 PM »
I got a lot of feet warms for Christmas so I'm good and I'm only doing it just to break them in with out breaking them

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2005 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:27 PM »
Those things help a lot. Good luck.  Catch a bunch !    ;)2

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2006 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:19 PM »
I plan on it

Offline idahnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2007 on: Jan 07, 2015, 11:27 PM »
Anyone fish Fernan today?  Looking for current ice conditions.  Thanks.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2008 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:28 AM »
Yesterday we went out to Granite and at the dock there was 2 in of slush with 6 in of ice underneath. Out about 100yds there was 2.5 in of slush with 5.5 in of ice underneath. We went  over to Kelso and fished about 130 ft out from the dock and we had 4.5 in of ice with about 1.5 in of slush on top. While reeling in 1 of my tip ups about 170 ft out my right leg went through the ice and I went in up to my hip. We decided it was a good time to get off of the ice. While we were at our trucks my buddy was laughing at me because he said he never has seen me move so fast when he saw my leg go through the ice.  :%$#!: In about 3 hours we caught 1 trout and missed several strikes. I think it would have been funnier if it had been him getting wet. Today we are going to go up to Mirror lk.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2009 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:29 AM »
That's scary!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.