Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540134 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1860 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:22 PM »
At Round, mainly trout, but, I have seen nice cats through the ice.  average trout is 10" to 13"  and maybe one or two 3# or 4# per year, as there are a few WISE and finicky there, ha.    ;)2

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1861 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:18 PM »
While waiting for Mother Nature to cooperate, I'm doing some recon as I am new to north Idaho. In SDakota I always new one of two lakes would be 1st to freeze. I have driven by a few of the smaller lakes and not seeing much ice. What lakes within an hour of CDA tend to freeze first?

There is a lake just North of Priest Lake, Blue Lake, that is out of the wind and freezes sooner than later.  Brush Lake North of Bonners Ferry would probably be a good first to freeze candidate but I have never been up there.  If you did go  that way and could not fish Brush you can always ice fish safely off the dock at Perkins and then the trip would not be a bust.  You can stand on the dock at access area and drill holes next to dock.  All this is more than an hour from CD however.

Offline 1sorearm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1862 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Dawson and Perkins both have 3-4 inches of ice within 200 feet of the shore. I did not walk all the way across. ( chicken)   as of today
fishing not bad. however the forcast looks bad, rain

Offline 1sorearm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1863 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Stopped by Winchester today on my way home and no dice, spud went thru in one stroke, with warm forcast and rain it will be awhile

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1864 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:01 PM »
Stopped at Dawson Lake Boundary Co.  4 inches of ice, walked out a little ways.  The bad news is the forecast which will quickly rot the ice. 1sorearm saw the same conditions.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1865 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:12 PM »
Have you had a look at Smith Lake, P H ?     Or, is it taboo to speak of it here. LOL

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1866 on: Dec 03, 2014, 07:10 AM »
Smith Lake is hard to find and hard to get to, only know to a few locals.  😉  After last nights cold Smith should have 4 inches,  It is roughly the same elevation as Dawson.  However If the forecast holds I would not recommend it this weekend.  Early ice I bring sharpened screwdrivers on a lanyard, wear an inflatable life jacket and carry a rope. 

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1867 on: Dec 03, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Round Lake also has some nice perch, but they can be tricky to find.   I have fished Brush lake in the summer and it would be good for trout and big Bluegils.  Getting to Brush lake can be tough in the winter unless there is a timber sale in the area that plows the road. 

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1868 on: Dec 03, 2014, 11:07 AM »
Checked out Thompson, Cave, and Medicine Lakes.  At most two inches, cracked under feet, got off the one foot of water we were standing on when we drilled. Anyone here of any ice in North Idaho?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1869 on: Dec 03, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Avondale has about an inch of ice not totally frozen yet
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1870 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:54 AM »
I went by Kelso and Granite last night and they both about 1.5 in of ice at the end of the dock. It was to dark to see across the lakes so I do not know if they were froze over all the way out.

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1871 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:05 PM »
At least a couple inches on Hayden by the sportsmans dock but not out too far out so I don't know how deep it gets around that bay

Offline elkhuntinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1872 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:36 PM »
I really wish Mother Nature would stop being a tease I'm itching to get out on the ice

Offline farmer_aa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1873 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:38 PM »
So this isn't in Idaho, but it's right next to the border on the Washington side on my farm pond.  And it's three weeks old, but I was pretty happy to have 3 1/2 inches of beautiful, clear ice at the time, though it's gone now.  But November 18th for a first ice fish seems pretty early.  I caught three 12" bass that afternoon with "Little Big Deal."  But it's looking like the December pike will be open water, hopefully this weekend.  Here are a couple pics from that effort... and if you see me on the ice this winter come over and tell me what I'm doing wrong when my flags keep staying down ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1874 on: Dec 05, 2014, 10:31 PM »
So this isn't in Idaho, but it's right next to the border on the Washington side on my farm pond.  And it's three weeks old, but I was pretty happy to have 3 1/2 inches of beautiful, clear ice at the time, though it's gone now.  But November 18th for a first ice fish seems pretty early.  I caught three 12" bass that afternoon with "Little Big Deal."  But it's looking like the December pike will be open water, hopefully this weekend.  Here are a couple pics from that effort... and if you see me on the ice this winter come over and tell me what I'm doing wrong when my flags keep staying down ;D

Welcome to Iceshanty, farmer_aa.   

That was a lucky, rare November ice-up moment.  Nice to get on the ice that early.  Is it an illusion with the size of that hole ?    Looks like "Little Big Deal " could go through, yikes !   Gotta be paradise to fish at home.     Thanks for sharing.      ;)2 

Offline farmer_aa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1875 on: Dec 07, 2014, 09:29 PM »
Haha,  yeah,  it's only a 6" auger.  She is pretty safe. Chatcolet has about 2 1/4" as of today at the very most.  Along the long dock it was only about 1 1/2". The majority of the lake was frozen up to the trestle, and thick enough for geese but not for me. Chopping holes and jigging off the dock yielded no bites.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1876 on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Farmer, was the launch locked with ice at rocky point?

Offline elkhuntinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1877 on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Well about the only good thing about this weather is its creating mud holes that seem to be bringing ducks into. Plus I still have and elk tag to try and notch this weekend

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1878 on: Dec 07, 2014, 11:02 PM »
Your not the only one elkhuntinfool I have both my deer and elk tag to fill plus duck hunting.
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline farmer_aa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1879 on: Dec 07, 2014, 11:13 PM »
Yeah, Rocky is locked up.  The launch is pretty solid.  It looks like it may have been broken up some when it was thinner but it's pretty solid now.  It might free up by next weekend the way the forecast looks, though.  It's open water at Peedee Point, and about the only place a guy could shore fish open water that far south, and it was getting fished!

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1880 on: Dec 08, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Just went by Fernan and what little ice was there is pretty shot now.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1881 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:09 PM »
any reports on smith lake up in bonners ferry.

Back one page,sir, at reply 1867.     

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1882 on: Dec 09, 2014, 01:00 AM »
Thanks farmer, you saved me $25 in gas and some serious curse words not being able to launch.

Offline Vashtgn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1883 on: Dec 09, 2014, 03:54 PM »
I have hopes of some ice this winter, but it is starting to look very bleak  :'(

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1884 on: Dec 09, 2014, 04:52 PM »
I have never had a year that I did not get on the ice by Jan 1.

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1885 on: Dec 09, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Do not go on Smith Lake with this weather.  Unless you only want to fish off the dock.  I was on the ice in Boundary Co. Before this rain and warm nights I would say come on up.  Right now conditions are unsafe.  There was 5 inches of ice, however  it is now dangerous.  When things firm back up I will give an update.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1886 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:06 PM »
When it's safe, sihlms391, I'd be glad to share a ride. Hm, maybe a PM on where to meet ?   I've got a Subaru wagon, it won't haul very many shelters, so, we'll see....

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1887 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:28 PM »
Yup, that's better than mine, a '91 8' bed.   4X4 auto. with a  topper.

sihlms391

« Reply #1888 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:36 PM »
bought a 2003 chevy hd durmax diesel 3/4.  6.6    134000 on it and got a great trade in for my old truck.  just not sure how long it can be unplugged in real cold temps.  just have to make shorter trips fishing if we see ice,  i remember ice fishing late spring first april one year. won't do that again.    not as brave the older i get.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1889 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:52 PM »
The Cummins is direct injected so, there's no need for glow plugs and starts with a bump of the starter, ha.  We can take it, no worries at -20, probably longer than we can tolerate, ha.   I hope we are are wiser, cause wet ain't gonna get it in the winter at my age. lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.