Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540136 times)

Offline weigand

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1650 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:52 PM »
saw a couple guys on cocollala on ice next to railroad tracks on north end.  lots open water on it.  i haven't tried it.

I'm usually willing to push the ice conditions and get out there when no one will but I took one look at Cocolalla and said NOPE

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1651 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:17 AM »
hey  Socko what do you mean by the ice getting onto the lake was sketchy last i heard there was 6 feet of ice gone from the shore
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline sstaaben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1652 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:05 AM »
Thanks for the report on Round. See anyone pull any perch out??

No the only other people out there left empty handed.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1653 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:16 AM »
Sounds like we are going to have to find another place to try Saturday then. I may try Walsh Lake again (at the base of Upper Pack River Rd)

Offline weigand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1654 on: Jan 29, 2014, 06:49 PM »
Sounds like we are going to have to find another place to try Saturday then. I may try Walsh Lake again (at the base of Upper Pack River Rd)

Anyone else got any recommendations for this weekend for the sandpoint area? - Besides round and Walsh.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1655 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:11 PM »
avondale lake
ice is at least 6-8 inches with about 3-5 inches of snow
fished from 3:40pm-5:00pm caught two 10 inch sunfish
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Pikedout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1656 on: Jan 29, 2014, 09:03 PM »
New to Ice Shanty. Live in Post Falls any report on ice depth and pike fishing reports on the chain lakes?

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1657 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:29 AM »
New to Ice Shanty. Live in Post Falls any report on ice depth and pike fishing reports on the chain lakes?

Hey, welcome.  I was down there a few weeks ago.  The ice was iffy on the lower chains (thompson, anderson).  Everything else looked pretty good.  I ended up fishing Rose (solid 10" then).  Caught 1 pike, 1 perch, and 2 large bluegills.  I'm sure with the steady cold we've had the ice should be better.  Don't know about the fishin'

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1658 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:12 PM »
This weekend Sat. February 1st.  from 11 - 2,  the Idaho Fish & Game is planning an Ice Fishing Event at Hauser Lake.  Read all about it on page 30 in this weeks Nickel's Worth.  They had a great turnout last year.  Its a good way for kids and first timers to learn about ice fishing.  I am planning on going out there and giving them a hand.  If your in the area and want to see what's going on, fish or help out I hope to see you there. 

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1659 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:07 PM »
would love to see that BlueDuck might try for so channel cats

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1660 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:25 PM »
This weekend Sat. February 1st.  from 11 - 2,  the Idaho Fish & Game is planning an Ice Fishing Event at Hauser Lake.  Read all about it on page 30 in this weeks Nickel's Worth.  They had a great turnout last year.  Its a good way for kids and first timers to learn about ice fishing.  I am planning on going out there and giving them a hand.  If your in the area and want to see what's going on, fish or help out I hope to see you there.

Awesome, hopefully the weather will be better than the one they had down here a few weeks ago. Heavy rain, hail, sleet snow and to top things off, it was windier than heck. Even though most the kids were soaked, they all had fun!

Offline cromag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1661 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Any reports on rose lake? Thanks

Offline weigand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1662 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:04 PM »
any tips on on where and what on walsh?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1663 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:59 PM »
Never been on Walsh, but, a friend took a LARGEmouth from the middle on ice a year ago.  The surprise of her life and it took a while, ha.     :o

Good luck.

Offline perchsoup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1664 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Fished the three holes close togather on the 24 th. on upper twin. One bite produced something bigger the a 5" perch. Turned out to be a wire pole holder. Finders keepers! It didn't fight very much.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1665 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:31 PM »
does any one use 1 pound test

Offline weigand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1666 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:38 AM »
Walsh:
Parked at conoco and walked out, tried the east side and west side of the lake all morning. No bites. Cold

Mcarthur:
5 inches of ice and super clear water. No bites

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1667 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:33 AM »
Round: Fished about 40 feet out from the dock where someone had already cleared the snow off of the ice. Started at around 8:00 AM and stopped at about 9:30 when the bite abated. Caught a pan sized cut and a nice rainbow, probably around 16". Lost two more nice bows at the lip of the ice hole...dove for one and racked my knee pretty good. I do not suggest this methodology for landing fish. Both fish landed were nice and pink inside and delicious. Ice on Round was about 11" and very good.
Upper Twin: After leaving Round we drove down to Upper Twin and caught probably three million perch...conservatively . Unfortunately, only 15 were "keepers" and I use that term loosely. They looked like monsters compared to the bate fish we were landing though and we all wanted to taste some perch that evening. We got almost as much roe out of them as we did fillets. Ice was probably 6-7" and solid. We fished straight out from the launch a good distance, but I spoke to several other guys out there and it was the same story all over the lake. There are, apparently, some large pike out there though and the small perch used for bait will do well I was told.

Offline finncatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1668 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:25 PM »
...Thinking the pike population on Upper Twin has gone down and that's one reason there are so many small perch around.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1669 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:37 PM »
That would stand to reason. The number of tiny perch in that lake is staggering.

Offline icefire2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1670 on: Feb 03, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Has anyone ever fished Trotten, Radiant, Blanchard, Hoodoo, Alpine, or Chilco lakes?  If so, what is access like, fishing, etc....  Looking at a map of the area lakes and wondering about those :-)   
~IceFire2012~

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1671 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:52 PM »

jumbo i got from avondale

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1672 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:51 AM »
Has anyone ever fished Trotten, Radiant, Blanchard, Hoodoo, Alpine, or Chilco lakes?  If so, what is access like, fishing, etc....  Looking at a map of the area lakes and wondering about those :-)

I have never fished blanchard through the ice but they do plant it with trout and there is access. The remainder of the lakes you are asking about are either barren or private and inaccessible

Offline beandip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1673 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Spring Valley Reservoir: Ice is solid, and after the Saturday derby a lot of the snow is packed down so walking out over part of the ice is easier.   Been limiting out on the bows within an hour or two, and have had the luxury of being selective, throwing more than I keep back, which is a pleasant surprise after trying other less fruitful methods on Round earlier in the season. 

Spirit Lake: Ice is solid and there are plenty of small perch, but only had two keepers. Tried to get into a little koke action at the end of the day and didn't have much luck.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1674 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Thanks for the report Bean - We are probably headed out to that Reservoir this Saturday. Will you be out there?

Offline beandip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1675 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:30 PM »
China, I'm not sure yet... I may be out in the a.m., but I may also head up north to fish.  Good luck out there if we don't cross paths!

sihlms391

« Reply #1676 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:46 AM »
went fishing on avondale tonight.  caught a nice jumbo perch.  11 inches.   lots of fish on fish finder but wouldn't hit.  did catch a small bull head.  just couldn't brave the cold that long.  first time I tried it this year.   Slushy under the snow. 

Offline BIGxJIMxSLADE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1677 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:41 AM »
I tried Avondale too from about 2:30 til 4:30 pm. Only pulled up 1 largemouth about 6" and tossed him back. Slushy under the snow around the edges, but good out in the middle.

Offline perchsoup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1678 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:33 AM »
A mess of perch (22) from Blue Lake on Sunday morning. Had to get back before the game.  Now I wish I had stayed. It was a nice day with no one else on the ice. Fish seem to be here and there, but you had to keep moving the pole. Not big, but worth cleaning. Tried to post a picture, no luck!

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1679 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:20 AM »
ill be going out to avondale today and will be there hopefully around 2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.