Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540122 times)

Offline Husky

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1500 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Elkhunter57 and Fowl_language...

Thanks for the information about the ice. BlueDuck shared similar insight.

-Husky

Offline TJT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1501 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:34 PM »
TJT I might of talked to you out on Hayden yesterday

You may have  :)  I talked to several gentlemen before we left out of there. Had my children, my neighbor and his kids with, we didn't stay long.

And to the above posts regarding ice. This is from my experience of years of ice fishing in MN from 2" to near 3 feet of ice. Ice pops and cracks to relieve stress....Either via temperatures changes or weight put on top of it. The more extreme the temperature change the more the ice talks. When it warms it contracts, when it cools it expands. Also snow covered ice will be far quieter than open clear ice as it is insulated and not subjected to the temperature changes as much. Best time to hear the ice talk is on a very cold night when the sun goes down and the ice has no snow on it. Also hard ice clear ice will have a much more distinct crisp pop/crack versus softer ice.

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1502 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:57 PM »
I was thinking of going to moose creek tomorrow. Has anybody been out there lately?

Offline Husky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1503 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Thanks TJT. That is great information and makes sense.

-Husky

Offline IDAHO BIG TIMBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1504 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:23 AM »
thank you for the knowledge about the ice.  took the kids to rose lake yester day and the ice was cracking and popping like crazy. talked to a few guys and said it was great ice and normal sounds, I guess its something you have to get use to. we had two hits on the tip ups but nothing.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1505 on: Jan 05, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Went Fourth of July and Sprague today, 7" of air filled ice on Fourth of July throughout the shallow north end, no hits only saw one bite from 8:00 to 9:30.  About 5 or 6 groups of people out in the morning with more coming out as we left, no doubt based on the reports of 4-5 lbers coming out of there lately.

Left and went to SW ramp of Sprague lake right at the close border, set up just north of the launch on the southern shore, one good strike at around 10:20 took my jig, nothing after that.  Ice is 10.5" measured on the SW end, it was temperature cracking pretty good, with full cracks every 12" or so still safe ice for sure with 12" just a little unnerving especially with cracking under foot.  Only saw two other guys venture on the ice when we left at 1:30.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1506 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Went to Round lake one  Sat.  Slow day.  One trout and 6 perch.  3 of the perch were over 10".   Hit Lower Twin this morning.  Good perch bite, but they ran small. 

Offline skullbus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1507 on: Jan 05, 2014, 08:48 PM »
Fished Spirit today marked a ton of fish around maiden. There were a hand full of fishermen ,we couldn't get em to go! switched up color's stayed a couple hrs. to long ........gave up and stopped at upper twin that's where the party was ! A lot of people on the ice one perch after another we threw back a hundred in a little over an hr. non -stop to bad they were so small. It was action  and nice out that's all that mattered . Good luck, probably the best ice we have had in a couple year's ya gotta love that !!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1508 on: Jan 05, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Hit cave lake today. Very slow! One  :tipup: and lots of cat fish, two perch that were maybe an inch long.
I would like to get into come crappy if anyone knows of a good place pm me. I have tried cave, Benewah, rocky point, black, Medicine, and others. starting to pull me hair out.  ;D ;D

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1509 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:06 PM »
For lack of any useful information here about catching kokanee on spirit lake I went out and checked it out myself. This is what I learned:
The best access to the good spot is off of spirit lake road on Carroll way. You have to park up above but you can drop your gear off at the boat launch.
I spoke to a few guys coming off the ice and a few more still fishing and despite everyone compalaining that it was a slow day, most had their 15 fish limit.
People were fishing about 75yds from the shore and the fish schooled anywhere from 10 to 40 feet deep (very random) on the sonar.
The common and very necessary trick to catching was a small black (fingernail polish) hook below a silver sweedish pimple baited with maggots.
The kokanee there are small (6-8") but are the perfect size for canning. (Happy to provide recipe for anyone interested)

I would very much appreciate any DETAILED helpful information on catching channel cats, large crappie or pike.

Offline skullbus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1510 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:21 AM »
Thank's Carguy we will try the black hook, I did have a pink hook under that same outfit with maggots. Just goes to show how picky some of these fish are........As far as the ice cracking and talking it takes some getting use to ,many times we have had the thundering crack come from across the lake and find it's way right between our feet ! We usually just look at each other and smile  as the water in our holes moves up and down.........kind of unnerving and you wonder if it was the 5 holes you just drilled in one spot had anything to do with it! Good luck !

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1511 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Ice sounds are an interesting subject.  As long as you pay attention and use good judgment ice fishing is a pretty safe sport.  Every year I see things that make me wonder why more people don't drown out there.  About 2 weeks ago I went out on Cocolalla lake.  There were several groups of people out on the lake and the ice was generally about 5" thick. But not all over.  I watched the lake freeze up over for a couple of week period and it had several open spots for quite a while, with 80% of the rest frozen over.  On my way out I drilled a couple of holes in the areas that I had seen as open water earlier. Both spots that I drilled were less then 3" thick.  I went on out an set up to fish and not long later here comes a guy on a 4 wheeler.  He went all over the lake having a great time.  I wonder if he has a clue.  I wouldn't have been out there on a 4 wheeler even if I knew it was 5" all over.  Just not my kind of odds. 
As far as the sounds go...  I'm not so sure you ever get totally used to it.  I have been ice fishing for over 50 years and I still pucker at times. 

Offline teamtigerstripe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1512 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:20 AM »
Was wondering if anyone has been up to Gamble or if there was any ice up at the condos. Ice on the chain lakes is very good just slow bites. Any info would be greatly appreciated before I commit a long drive up there.
Tiger Stripe

Offline Lowrider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1513 on: Jan 06, 2014, 03:51 PM »
New guy here...haven't ice fished since I live in AK 25 years ago. Asked a R's in Sandpoint and didn't get much info of value. I guess Round lake is hit or miss...anyone fishing Robinson, Sinclair or Smith? If so, how'd ya do and what for bait??Any help you guys might give will be appreciated!!
Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. Should you find it, please feel free to keep it.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1514 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:52 PM »
How was the ice conditions and how big were the perch at Cocolalla?

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1515 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:52 AM »
Welcome lowrider, you should hit Walsh, it's right in your neighborhood.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1516 on: Jan 07, 2014, 08:23 AM »
Hit cave lake today. Very slow! One  :tipup: and lots of cat fish, two perch that were maybe an inch long.
I would like to get into come crappy if anyone knows of a good place pm me. I have tried cave, Benewah, rocky point, black, Medicine, and others. starting to pull me hair out.  ;D ;D
The best crappie lakes near CDA are Upper and Lower Twin, Hayden and Fernan.  That being said I do well on them in the spring and summer, but have a hard time finding them in numbers through the ice.  I catch a few here and there but can never seem to really get into them in the winter.

Offline Lowrider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1517 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Thanks Bearsfan! We're regular customers at the Conoco but it looks like Walsh has open water on the North end a few days ago. I'll check again and see how the ice is progressing...my driveway sure has plenty!

Anyone fishing lakes around Bonners?
Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. Should you find it, please feel free to keep it.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1518 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Thanks BlueDuck. I might have to make a trip up that way one of these weekends.

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1519 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:47 AM »
New guy here...haven't ice fished since I live in AK 25 years ago. Asked a R's in Sandpoint and didn't get much info of value. I guess Round lake is hit or miss...anyone fishing Robinson, Sinclair or Smith? If so, how'd ya do and what for bait??Any help you guys might give will be appreciated!!

I have fished all of these lakes in the summer but have never tried through the ice. I would assume they aren't very accessible without a snowmobile or a long walk.
If you can get to them, they should all be good for planter trout. You may want to check brush lake if your trying the Bonners area.

One of my favorite bonner county lakes through ice is Freeman above oldtown. Has nice trout, bass, pike and tiger muskie. Haven't tried it this year

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1520 on: Jan 07, 2014, 04:34 PM »
Sinclair is right next to the road.  Smith is an easy drive in.  These are planter lakes with very little carryover.

Offline Lowrider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1521 on: Jan 08, 2014, 01:42 AM »
Thanks guys!!

I hadn't thought of Freeman but certainly worth a try.

Offline bearbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1522 on: Jan 08, 2014, 01:04 PM »
Any body know were i can a youngster out with some fast action for perch?

Offline icefire2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1523 on: Jan 08, 2014, 02:08 PM »
Lol bearbone!  We all watch some perch fast!  Went to Hauser yesterday......drilled some holes.....caught nothing.....
~IceFire2012~

Offline DR0CK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1524 on: Jan 08, 2014, 05:27 PM »
If your after allot of perch for a kid go upper twin out about two hundred yards out slightly to the left of the dock or cocolallas sportsman access .there's allot of ice on Avondale but real small perch as fast as you can get it down. These are
where I take my family they are more into the catching than the fishin part . Good luck

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1525 on: Jan 08, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Lol bearbone!  We all watch some perch fast!  Went to Ha user yesterday......drilled some holes.....caught nothing.....

New here, so this is my fist post.  As mentioned above by DROCK, Upper Twin is the place to be for fast action "small" perch.  All the 6" perch you can handle.  I've been out there 3 times and don't think I've caught one over 9".  My first trip I caught 60 in 2 hours.  Kept 17 that were barely worth filleting, but made for a good meal.  The ice is great though.  A good 10".  People driving 4 wheelers, snow machines, and razors all over the place.  Not sure about the lower lake.  I'm sure it's just as good.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1526 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:29 PM »
New Here - Anyone have reports on Hayden, Hauser, or Spirit?  I think I'll hit 2 of the 3 this weekend.  Drove by Hayden yesterday.  Ice looks pretty good.  Frozen out further than typical from Sportsman's.  There was one group fishing about 500yds straight out from the docks.  Watched them with binoculars for a couple minutes.  Saw them catch a couple (assuming perch) and had a fair size mess of them floppin' on the ice.  Mostly interested in perch and pike.  I've never targeted kokanee through the ice however, and from what I hear they're catching some on Spirit.  So any info about that would be appreciated as well. 

My Report:
Upper Twin - Fished about 3 times, Dink action is hot!  No Pike, 10" good ice.
Fernan - Fished twice, Nothin'
Rose Lake - Fished once, 1 decent perch, 2 nice bluegills, 1 pike, 9" good ice.
Spent Christmas in North Dakota.  Fished New Johns and Harmon Lake - Bitter cold - 3' of ice - Sat in the truck and watched tip ups.  Jigged a little for perch with no luck.  No flags either.  Shot at some pheasants and one coyote. 

What I've seen or heard:
Ice is sketchy on the lower chains.  Thompson and Anderson appear to be low.  Very few perch and a few trout are being caught on Fernan.  Cave lake had several groups out last weekend.  Sounds like mostly catfish and a few small perch.  Drove around Hauser the other day; 3 guys fishing, saw one guy land a nice largemouth.  Blake at Blacksheep said they're catching kokanee on Spirit. 

Thanks!
Brad

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1527 on: Jan 09, 2014, 12:22 AM »
Welcome to Iceshanty Brad. 

Maybe your type of reporting will catch on.       ;)2

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1528 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the best ways to get on Mirror or Spirit Lake would be. Never fished them before would maybe like to try one this weekend.

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1529 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the best ways to get on Mirror or Spirit Lake would be. Never fished them before would maybe like to try one this weekend.

You can go back a few posts and read my report on spirit (which details access).

I have not fished mirror for a couple of years but I believe the only access is at the resort (mirror lake resort?). You have to pay to park and fish. If I remeber it was only a few bucks. There was always an old lady in the house at the resort to accept the money. Although I think she was about 150 the last time I was out there, she may not be around anymore....

Are the catfish being caught on cave lake channel cats or bullheads? Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.