Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540112 times)

sihlms391

Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1140 on: Jan 19, 2013, 11:18 PM »
elkhuntinfool.  I used to have not much luck ice fishing.  I now have a marcum vx-1pro fish finder.  I catch a lot more and have don't have to drill as many holes.  I am a perch fisherman and it works great for it.  It works great   in water up to 40 feet deep.  It took me trying a vexilar and a humingbird  before i used a marcum..  If you get a chance to use one of these you will never leave home without it.    I have never tried houser.  I do know that I get on the ice by day break and I catch more. 

sihlms391

« Reply #1141 on: Jan 19, 2013, 11:21 PM »
there is some ice fishing tournaments down south but nothing that i know of around here.  wish there was. 

Offline Sheartab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1142 on: Jan 19, 2013, 11:25 PM »
there is some ice fishing tournaments down south but nothing that i know of around here.  wish there was.

I agree with you, they are fun. I wonder how much of a pain in the butt it would be to put one together. Maybe some local sponsors or maybe just an IceShanty member internet tournament with some honesty involved. I think we could do that, we have plenty of people on these forums from this area.

Offline Sheartab

• IceShanty Rookie

sihlms391

« Reply #1144 on: Jan 19, 2013, 11:27 PM »
there is a ice shanty tournament but I don't get involved with it.

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1145 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:31 AM »
Snappy Sports in Kallispell puts on about 3 perch tourneys.  I think they are called Perch Attack.  One is at Lake Mary Ronan, and one is at the Tompson Lakes.  This is a bit of a drive from Post Falls, this is the only ones I know about.

Offline DR0CK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1146 on: Jan 20, 2013, 09:44 AM »
Fished Avondale yesterday marked allot of fish on the vexilar but they just came up took a sniff and turned their nose. Good luck luck to anyone else trying.

Offline the1bigguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1147 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:07 AM »
lets start a ice fishing tournt up here in the north.

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1148 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:25 AM »
Count me in.

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1149 on: Jan 20, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Any ice at the Condos??

Offline clearwaterice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1150 on: Jan 20, 2013, 03:40 PM »
 @) I would make the trip. What are the location options? Jimbo

Offline DR0CK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1151 on: Jan 20, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Count me in on the tourney. Let me know if i can help out I've been wanting one for a long time

Offline icefire2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1152 on: Jan 20, 2013, 05:26 PM »
Hey guys,
I would really like to get out an do some ice fishing but haven't ever gone before so I'm looking for someone to show me the ropes.  I've fished the Clark Fork, and other rivers in MT but lake fishing is somewhat new to me, let alone, ice fishing!  I live near Hayden Lake.  My schedule is pretty much wide open.  Anyone interested in showing a rookie? :-\
~IceFire2012~

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1153 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Has anyone tried going out at night yet?

Offline No.IDea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1154 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Night? Now that sounds fun... Anyone have any input on this?

Offline icefire2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1155 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:38 PM »
I fished Fernan at night back in Nov.  I'm up for ice fishing at night if anyone wants to go....
~IceFire2012~

Offline arborfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1156 on: Jan 20, 2013, 09:14 PM »
took the girlfriend on upper twin slayed the perch.  has anyone fished McArthur through the ice?  I recall when I was hunting this fall the lake was really low. looks like there might be trout in the lake

sihlms391

« Reply #1157 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:22 PM »
Fished avondale lake from  530p.m to 700p.m.  caught one b bluegill the size of my hand.  They would just sniff the bate then leave.  It was pretty wet on the top and was only about 3 inches where I was.  I should have taken a picture but I was frustrated I couldn't get them to hit.  I have night fished lower twin once this year and caught some perch.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1158 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Yesterday I headed out to Chase Lake and drilled 2 holes.  3 layers of slush sandwiched between 3 ice layers plus the surface snow/ice layer, with the total thickness at 8 inches.  After those 2 test holes turned around and walked off.  I could take my boot and auger in a good 4 inches off the surface.  The last couple of monrings have been around 3 degrees but not cold enough or long enough to firm up the ice. I'm not sure it will be decent ice without a serious cold snap of 10 below or colder.   Today I headed down to Blue Lake and had 8 inches of solid ice.  My son and I only were out from 3:00-4:45 but we pulled in 5 perch all around 8 inches plus missed a few as well.  Pretty slow with most of the fish coming in the last 45 minutes.  We didn't have time to set up tip-ups but I'm hoping to try tomorrow. 

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #1159 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:44 PM »
Our next PERCH ASSAULT will be at Middle Thompson Lake, 45 miles east of Libby.  An EZ commute for you north Idahoans!

Check out www.perchassault.com or PM me for more info.

We would love to see some of our neighbors to the west come over and join us!

Mike
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline skullbus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1160 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:14 PM »
We hit Fernan About 9:30 drilled holes looking for fish spotted one on the finder then we set up .We were in twenty feet of water fishing with ratsos and ratfinks pink and chartruse right on the bottum left the ice with 30 perch 8-10'' at about 2:30, ice was 5" and good

Offline No.IDea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1161 on: Jan 21, 2013, 01:04 PM »
Tried Hayden again this morning. Set up ten tip ups between us and got nothing. The ice had a crunchy top but decent ice under. Headed to Round this afternoon for an ego booster catching trout.

sihlms391

« Reply #1162 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:03 PM »
No.IDea.  How was the fishing and ice on round?

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1163 on: Jan 21, 2013, 10:09 PM »
Hey everyone, I just came over from Washington and grew up in Wisconsin, wondering how guys are rigging for northerns without being able to use live bait?  I looked through the regs and it is washy on what perch are (game, non-game) is that what you guys are using?  We always used suckers or shinners below tip-ups but obviously I can't do that now.  I wish I could post some ice news for N.Idaho but I was fishing North Dakota all last week so I'm not sure, thanks for any information. I'm heading out this week sometime so I will post what I can when I get off the ice.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1164 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:14 AM »
Hey everyone, I just came over from Washington and grew up in Wisconsin, wondering how guys are rigging for northerns without being able to use live bait?  I looked through the regs and it is washy on what perch are (game, non-game) is that what you guys are using?  We always used suckers or shinners below tip-ups but obviously I can't do that now.  I wish I could post some ice news for N.Idaho but I was fishing North Dakota all last week so I'm not sure, thanks for any information. I'm heading out this week sometime so I will post what I can when I get off the ice.

I use dead smelt that you can buy from bait shops. You can use dead perch from the same body of water that you are fishing. Just use a couple of hook to rig them up one at the gills and one behind the dorsal fin.

Offline No.IDea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1165 on: Jan 22, 2013, 12:59 PM »
No.IDea.  How was the fishing and ice on round?

ICEMAN-
My buddy and I were there a couple of hours and caught our limit of decent sized (14-18")  trout from the middle of the lake on about 5" of ice.  Everyone around us was pulling the same sized swimmers from the water. Worms, at about 8 feet seemed to hit the button. I've caught my fill of trout for the year, now it's time to find some pike!

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1166 on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:50 PM »
Does anybody know how the Ice is at Round lake & Mirror?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1167 on: Jan 22, 2013, 04:25 PM »
The ice at Round Lake is 5 - 6 inches.  I haven't been to Miror yet but Id think it would be similar to Round.

Offline teamtigerstripe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1168 on: Jan 22, 2013, 04:44 PM »
Has anyone fished Gamble, Condos or Fry Creek?  Just wondering ice conditions for JUMBOS... ;D
Tiger Stripe

Offline elkhuntinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1169 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:33 PM »
I was able to get out on hayden today with a buddy to  he ended with 3 flags no fish and I had 4 flags 3 little dinks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.