Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540132 times)

Offline teamtigerstripe

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1080 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:38 PM »
Has anyone seen what this warm spell has done to any of the lakes?  Coco, Gamble, Fernan? :'(
Tiger Stripe

Offline violaice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1081 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:53 PM »
has anyone been to fernan on good 4-5 inch ice yet PLEASE GIVE US IN MOSCOW SOME GOOD NEWS......VIOLAICE

Offline violaice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1082 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:54 PM »
how

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1083 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Easy now, we need take a drive and all that goes with getting an accurate measurement, none of this, it looks like, or I think it's about. MEASURE.  What's so difficult about that.  So, just be patient.    ;)2

Welcome Violaice.

sihlms391

« Reply #1084 on: Jan 09, 2013, 09:07 PM »
My friend lives on upper twin and said all the snow has melted on top and it is all water.

Offline idaho4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1085 on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:58 AM »
I have heard rumors that blue lake has some pike in it, is there any truth to this?  If not, what is the closest pike fishing to Bonners that isn't in Montana(I cant see spending the money on a Montana license and only being allowed 2 tip-ups per person).  I was out on Dawson on monday.  Fishing was very good from about 10-12.  Ended up with some nice crappie, gils and a few bass on tip-ups.  The perch seem to be taking over the lake and are very small compared to years past.  Ice was looking better on monday than the week before although I would not recommend crossing the lake as the spud bar went through pretty easy about 20' off the dock.  Good luck and any info on pike in the area would be great!

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1086 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:16 PM »
I have heard rumors that blue lake has some pike in it, is there any truth to this?  If not, what is the closest pike fishing to Bonners that isn't in Montana(I cant see spending the money on a Montana license and only being allowed 2 tip-ups per person).  I was out on Dawson on monday.  Fishing was very good from about 10-12.  Ended up with some nice crappie, gils and a few bass on tip-ups.  The perch seem to be taking over the lake and are very small compared to years past.  Ice was looking better on monday than the week before although I would not recommend crossing the lake as the spud bar went through pretty easy about 20' off the dock.  Good luck and any info on pike in the area would be great!

How far of a drive is it for you into montana to find pike? If its a long drive you might consider the chain lakes of the CDA lake.

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1087 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:37 PM »
Just checked Fernan.  Ice was 3-3.5" total (measured) with a thin 1/4" water layer mixed in less than an inch down.  The ice had melted away from the edges in places and away from old holes but was beginning to refreeze.  Two fellas were out on the upper end in the middle of the lake.  The surface is very slick.  It was not very cold last night so IMO I'd give it a night or two of good cold temps to firm up weak areas before I started to feel safe on it.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #1088 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:41 PM »
4life...Noxon and Cabinet Gorge have some world class pike, but you are correct about gear restrictions. Who's knows though...one 30 pound gator may change your mind.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1089 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:16 PM »
Much better fishing today in the afternoon.  Went 2 for three on the tip-ups for pike. About 8 pounds each.  A bunch of perch 6-8" one jumbo three crappie.  Used my Marcum VX1 pro.  Liked the unit.  A good day to test it out with plenty of fish in the holes I was fishing out of.  Worked best for me in the zoom mode. I could see the fish leave the bottom and come up to my jig, Snow is not going to help freeze the last two days thaw of 1-2" of snow ice. Good solid three inches of ice today with 2" of crunchy junk that was trying to freeze when I left just before dark.

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1090 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Stjoemitch,  were you back out on Thomson today?

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1091 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:26 AM »
No, yesterday I was on Turtle Lake.  The snow last night wasn't too bad and the colder temperatures are going to help. Saturday night 8 degrees.

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1092 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:07 AM »
Turtle sure is a fun lake.  Never fished it throught the ice but I use to float tube it in the spring and catch bass and pike on the fly rod.  Good times.  We only got about an inch of sugary snow last night.  Looks like some real nice clear ice is going to form up out of this weather pattern.  All the old snow melting and refreezing may have been an ice fishermans blessing.

sihlms391

« Reply #1093 on: Jan 11, 2013, 05:01 PM »
Drove by cocollala and some guys was fish the south end of the lake.  They weren't out very far.  Drove by round but didn't get out of truck when I saw open water on the other side of the lake. Went to kelso and it is ok.  granite has a couple different layers of snow and ice.  I bet fernan will be ready by sunday.  It was warmer up north than here in Coeur d Alene.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1094 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:39 PM »
Heading to Turtle and maybe Benewah lake tomarrow. I know at least one will be good tomarrow.

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1095 on: Jan 12, 2013, 05:18 PM »
Fished Avondale for a couple of hours this morning/early afternoon.  Ice was a consistent 3.5 inches, clear and solid.  Marked plenty of fish but they had lockjaw or I didn't have what they wanted in my arsenal.  Tried small jigs, really small jigs and a jigging spoon all with maggots.  Did manage to ice one keeper perch.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1096 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Fished Fernan this morning.  3 to 3.5 inches of good ice.  Perch fishing was slow.  Ended up with 8 between 8 & 9 inches.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1097 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Fished Fernan this morning.  3 to 3.5 inches of good ice.  Perch fishing was slow.  Ended up with 8 between 8 & 9 inches.

Might check yer inbox, BlueDuck. 

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1098 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:43 AM »
Thanks Tom, Ill give it a try.  Im bad with seeing those messages.  Not nearly obvious enough for me I guess.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1099 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:52 AM »
Now that we have some real ice forming conditions, I would like to know how things are shaping up at Lake Pend Oreille.  Keep me posted. I like fishing the condos. :)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1100 on: Jan 13, 2013, 01:26 PM »
I'll be checkin the condos, at least with a drive-by, maybe more, Monday. Nearby parking is all but eliminated with the "By-way" . Gonna have to get creative with that, ha.

sihlms391

« Reply #1101 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:17 PM »
Went to round lake today.  Went off west dock.  Was about 4 to 5 inches off dock.  When I got out going west about thirty feet it went to one inch.  It froze really uneven this year.  Be very careful if you do go out on it.  Still guys fishing south end of cocolala.  Thanks for info about fernan and avondale. 

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1102 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:50 PM »
Fished Freeman lake today. We had 6 tip ups & 4 rods out and nothing. First time I've ever had anything but a great day on that lake. 6" of ice under 6" of ice water with an inch of frozen snow on top.
tried kelso at about 3pm until dark. One bite.
Not a good first day out but better than working.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1103 on: Jan 14, 2013, 10:03 AM »
Fished Bel's Lake yesterday. One flag, crappie, bullhead and enough perch for a meal or two. Afternoon bite much better than morning for some odd reason.  Watched fish on my Marcum come up two to three feet for jig.  Also saw that high lifts scared fish, smaller motions produced more strikes.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1104 on: Jan 14, 2013, 12:14 PM »
Fished Turtle Lake Saturday. Took home 4 perch 10 to 12 inches.Had one flag right at dark. A big run and then dropped it. Fished Chatcolet Sunday pulled in 25 perch didn't take any home. 3 inches to 12 inches. No flags what so ever. Don't like not getting any pike but thats the way it goes.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1105 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:59 PM »
I'll be checkin the condos, at least with a drive-by, maybe more, Monday. Nearby parking is all but eliminated with the "By-way" . Gonna have to get creative with that, ha.

Never made it out of the forest, sorry, no report.     :angel

Offline teamtigerstripe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1106 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:15 AM »
[img][/img]  33lbs
Tiger Stripe

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1107 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:33 AM »
Now thats a gator :)