Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540120 times)

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #960 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:22 PM »
Hey BullPine, you still bucking for the 20th of December on a pothole up there or did the rain this evening squash that?  Also, thanks for the note about the seminar at Black Sheep.  I'll be looking into that.  Last year was my first year of ice fishing ever.  I had so much fun that I can hardly wait for good ice to show up again.  I extend my thanks to everyone who posts to this thread.  I learned a ton just by reading your discussions, it helped me figure out quite a few things last year.  As a result I had decent success on Fernan, Avondale, and Granite lakes last year.  I've still got a lot to figure out so if you see a tall skinny fella eyeballing you out on the ice (from a respectable distance) this winter it may be me.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #961 on: Dec 12, 2012, 09:02 AM »
Yes I am bucking for the 20th but I am only going onto the ice if you are already out there sitting on a bucket. LOL  Looks like Cascade Lake in South Idaho will be having some cold weather and they have a $20 perch tourney there in Feb.  State record for perch broke there last year at over 2 pounds I think.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #962 on: Dec 12, 2012, 09:07 AM »
Wow the forecast through the 20th is not good.  But check this out:

http://www.myforecast.com/bin/expanded_forecast_15day.m?city=14496&metric=false

sihlms391

« Reply #963 on: Dec 12, 2012, 12:20 PM »
hope that forecast is right.  I thought we was suppose to get  cold temps by now.

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #964 on: Dec 12, 2012, 12:25 PM »
That looks real favorable.  If it turns out that way we might be on the ice around Christmas or so.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #965 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:14 AM »
Yes I am bucking for the 20th but I am only going onto the ice if you are already out there sitting on a bucket. LOL  Looks like Cascade Lake in South Idaho will be having some cold weather and they have a $20 perch tourney there in Feb.  State record for perch broke there last year at over 2 pounds I think.

There are 2 tourneys this year Jan 26 and Feb 20ish (not for sure  on the date). 2.9 lbs 16" Perch, can you believe that?

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #966 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:25 PM »
Might have to head your way to find ice.  Warm again today :'(

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #967 on: Dec 13, 2012, 10:14 PM »
Checked Blue Lake north of Priest River today.  It's about 90% ice covered with a few areas near the reeds on the inlet side still open.  The ice was about 1-1.5 inches thick and not very hard with the warmer temps today.  I then went up to Chase Lake (just south of Priest Lake) by the Sportsman dock and the whole lake is frozen over but still only 1-1.5 inches of ice.  Last year I was on Chase Lake with 6+ inches around Dec 18.  We'll see what happens with low temps in the upper teens and low 20's predicted over the next week up here.

sihlms391

« Reply #968 on: Dec 13, 2012, 10:55 PM »
thanks for info.  never fished up there before.  i live in coeur d alene.  I was ice fishing by x mas last year. 

Offline acaravaglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those trout.
« Reply #969 on: Dec 14, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Lets see some pics!

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #970 on: Dec 14, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Went to Round Lake on Thursday with my wife and daughter.  No ice at all.  Water temp off the end of the dock was 43 degrees.  Did catch a couple of rainbows with my daugher though.  Great fun for a 2-yr old.

sihlms391

« Reply #971 on: Dec 14, 2012, 12:50 PM »
Round is a fun family lake.  I hate.  Every forecast is different.  They get paid good for doing the weather but can't get it right.  I guess  I am in the wrong profession.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #972 on: Dec 14, 2012, 03:46 PM »

-5 degrees on the day after Christmas --- when I posted.  Will be different everytime you check though.

http://www.myforecast.com/bin/expanded_forecast_15day.m?city=14496&metric=false

sihlms391

« Reply #973 on: Dec 14, 2012, 03:59 PM »
I am driving my wife crazy at home.  All my stuff is ready to go but I do need to get a bit auger part for my gas power head. 

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict

sihlms391

« Reply #975 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:43 PM »
I hope that forecast holds true.     

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #976 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:57 PM »
No worries.  You will be drilling through 2 feet of ice before you know it!

sihlms391

« Reply #977 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:08 PM »
I hope it comes on right after all my company leave just before the first.   

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #978 on: Dec 16, 2012, 09:51 PM »
That would be an early Very Happy New Year.

I'd settle for 6".

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #979 on: Dec 17, 2012, 09:07 AM »

Enjoy the warm weather today because tomorrow we enter the ice box.   @)  Probably won't be alot of safe ice  :tipup: until after Christmas so I am moving my bucket sitting until then.   Happy Holidays.

Offline perchsoup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #980 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:13 PM »
plfish:

Question? Have you had luck at Chase Lake during previous winters? I have fished it once in the winter with no luck.  Kinda like Blue lake above Preist River and Perkins Lake over by Bonners.  Done good in the summer, but not much in the winter.
      Also we did good on crappie late in the fall in Upper Twin, also found perch in the same place.  Took a GPS location and hope they will still be there when the ice is thick enough.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
perchsoup

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #981 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:10 PM »
Wish it would stop snowing and blowing so we could make some good ice. But at least its cold enough to make ice

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #982 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:55 PM »

This is really going to mess up any ice fishing around here.

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #983 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Classic!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #984 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Good one, Bullpine.    FRYDAY

sihlms391

« Reply #985 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:52 PM »
Cool,  It is a heat wave!

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #986 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:26 AM »
Wow, it's supposed to rain flaming meatballs on fryday, guess I'll stay home. Frickin global warming.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #987 on: Dec 20, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Perchsoup...I have had good luck on Chase in the winter.  I've also had some rotten luck.  The last two years we've done pretty good for perch and a few largemouths.  Just head out to the middle from the sportsman access.  I've definitely have had my frustrations over the years but since I started using a flasher its been more consistent for me. 

Blue lake has been great for me over the years on the ice.  I take my kids out there because we can usually have some decent action. The perch aren't big but some largemouth and crappie thrown in the mix make it fun.  I've never targeted the pike but would like to try it.  I usually head out from the access straight towards the mountain about 3/4 of the way across.  That's where I've done best for the crappie and perch. 

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #988 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:26 PM »
I wish i would have spent more time on Blue for Pike. That is the best bet, the perch are on the smaller end but you get quite a few. Hope you guys have fun in the deep pow. Wish I was still up there skiing for free at Schwietzer. and fishing all the great lakes. ;D

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #989 on: Dec 21, 2012, 03:36 PM »
I'm not sure what all this snow did for the ice.  Since Monday we've had around 34" of snowfall (give or take a couple) and have 24" total depth on the ground on the west side of Priest Lake.  I hope to get to Chase Lake or Blue Lake in the next few days to check the ice thickness and total snow on the ice.  Last time I checked we had less than 2 inches of ice but we did have some cooler nights since then so hopefully things thickened up before the snow hit.  I was in Sandpoint yesterday and things seemed warm....definitely a bit longer wait down there for ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.