Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540134 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #750 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:54 PM »
Could it be, they are just trying to avoid filling out the paperwork for a "Wavier of Liability"?
 Just like the one issued to folks who ask to pick up used cross ties from their right of way. 

SEE THE YARDMASTER.   Last time I checked, the office was in the Sandpoint Depot.  Call to find him and just go see him.

sihlms391

« Reply #751 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Fished round last night until 6 with a lantern in my tent.  Fishing was great.  I caught brookies before dark, a 5lb carp, trout, and 6 catfish.   

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #752 on: Jan 06, 2012, 12:03 AM »

Offline fishman101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #753 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:12 AM »
How is the ice up there at round lake? Looking to head up there this weekend.

Offline born2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #754 on: Jan 06, 2012, 01:52 PM »
What about Hayden is the north end still have good ice to catch some pike

Offline born2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #755 on: Jan 06, 2012, 01:53 PM »
Also what about Winchester would it be worth the drive

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #756 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:35 PM »
How is the ice up there at round lake? Looking to head up there this weekend.
I was there most of the day(a slow day to boot), The ice measured 6 1/4" and that's most of the parking lot half. I was told(you best measure) the far side has a bit more than that due to being shaded, hmm, haven't been over there. Good luck. I think the fish are stuffed from the warm weather and rain that washed goodies into the lake, at the very least, today, they had tetanus, aka ~ lockjaw.    :woot: :roflmao:
The result was one fish from being skunked.

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #757 on: Jan 07, 2012, 12:59 PM »
checked out the sportsman's park at hayden on thursday and it wasn't looking too good. the ice around the edges was melted so i didn't walk out on it. think i'll wait for some more cold weather before i head back out there

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #758 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:14 AM »
No worries.  Good cold weather is on the way and should tighten up ice well.  Fished Blue Lake yesterday and there are good numbers of smaller perch and some crappie.   You need to keep all the little ones as the pike and muskies in this lake are not getting enough of the pan fish and they are becoming  stunted.   Ice was thick, approaching a foot! :tipup:

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #759 on: Jan 08, 2012, 02:34 PM »
I tried negotiating my way out on Fernan, but kept getting my feet wet  ::)
There's still 3-4", but it's got alot of bubbles. I didn't feel too confident so I decided to wait, but I did pick up an 8" auger last night. Traded my turkey fryer for it.

Offline born2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #760 on: Jan 08, 2012, 02:38 PM »
Did you set any tip up out? Is anybody fishing for the pike and muskie?

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #761 on: Jan 08, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Yeah i cut the heads off a couple of perch and set up two tip ups.  I think you have to do that or use smelt.  Soaked for about 3 or 4 hours but no flags.  I heard later that the people set up for pike along the westside of lake - off to the right from access.  I was to the east.  If you go the access is private, so don't leave any trash, had to pick up after someone who did.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #762 on: Jan 08, 2012, 09:51 PM »
So went on a long drive today (about 200 miles) looking at the chain lakes for some good ice. Every single one of the have open water with little ice. I only found one that was good enough to fish on and it was great. Got there at 12 fished till about 3. Has the first pike with in 10 min of setting up. All in all had 6 flags, pulled in 4 pike, and endless amount of small perch and 2 cat fish.

this was the one pike i kept 28 inches

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #763 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Also what about Winchester would it be worth the drive

Hit Winchester on Friday...  Fishing was slow compared to the past two season, but still better than most places.  Caught 'bows, gills, perch and bass...actually more bass than trout!

Jim

sihlms391

« Reply #764 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Sweet catch Sticksandstring.  Round still has 6 plus inches of ice and was making lots of noise.    I fished from  3p.m to 7p.m tonight.    Didn't keep any fish because I didn't want to clean fish tonight.   Caught about 16 raindow, Brockie, bass, and 12 catfish.  I love my marcum fish finder.    Few people where on south end of cocolalla. 

sihlms391

« Reply #765 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Sweet catch Sticksandstring.  Round still has 6 plus inches of ice and was making lots of noise.    I fished from  3p.m to 7p.m tonight.    Didn't keep any fish because I didn't want to clean fish tonight.   Caught about 16 raindow, Brockie, bass, and 12 catfish.  I love my marcum fish finder.    Few people where on south end of cocolalla. 

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #766 on: Jan 08, 2012, 11:00 PM »
ICEMAN, how big were the cats?

Jim

sihlms391

« Reply #767 on: Jan 08, 2012, 11:06 PM »
They were about 6 to 11 inches.  They where smaller tonite .  Those where at least 11+ other night.  I know there is big ones in there.  I was fishing in about 17 feet water. 

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #768 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:08 AM »
I also hit Blue Lake on Saturday.  Bullpine....that must have been you I was talking with ( I had the little boy who was catching the perch!). We had only perch but did OK.  AVerage size in the 7-8" range with a few in the 9 inch range.  In the middle the ice was 9 1/2 inches.  Ice was talking alot and was quite solid.  I'm hoping to get out there this coming weekend and set up a tip-up as well and try for a pike.

Offline thebasicfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #769 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:39 AM »
how many lines can you have on the chain lakes?

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #770 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:40 PM »
I havent seen any rules that differ from any where else in Idaho. So i would say 5 a person

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #771 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:37 PM »
Jewel Lake.. Trout in Jewel? It is a myth. I fished Jewel today for about 4 hours today. No trout. I caught 2 perch that would have been perfect size for Pike bait but that was it. The Ice was 8 in. This is not my 1st time I have fished Jewel... still no trout. You wont see me out there again. :%$#!: The beer was good though!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #772 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Fish and Game put 6,000. trout in Jewel this last spring/summer.  Seems like there would be a few left.  I have done pretty good there in open water. 

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #773 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:34 PM »
South end of Cocolalla.. I talked to someone from the Idaho fish & game today about going out on the Ice with out getting "Hassled" from Burlington Northern for using the access on the south end of Cocolalla. The person told me that Idaho fish & Game is trying to work out a lease with Burlington Northern for using the "Access road" at the south end. B N is still hasselling fisherman due to "liability issues". :icefish:
 I went out there today & the ice was 4 in of solid ice at the south end of the lake.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #774 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:00 PM »
Could it be, they are just trying to avoid filling out the paperwork for a "Wavier of Liability"?
 Just like the one issued to folks who ask to pick up used cross ties from their right of way. 

SEE THE YARDMASTER.   Last time I checked, the office was in the Sandpoint Depot.  Call to find him and just go see him.

The Waviers have always been free.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #775 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:31 AM »
Hey Idahogator- Can anyone get a "Waiver of Liability", Also how long are they good for?

Offline kfedka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #776 on: Jan 12, 2012, 01:19 AM »
What is the best depth to find Bluegill and Perch on Fernan Lake?

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #777 on: Jan 12, 2012, 01:51 AM »
I've been hitting the perch right off the bottom in about 25' of water. No bluegills yet. Which part of the lake are you fishing?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #778 on: Jan 12, 2012, 01:58 AM »
Hey Idahogator- Can anyone get a "Waiver of Liability", Also how long are they good for?
They cover the applicant only and you best have it with you when the RR folks ask you for it.
It has been a long time for me, but it seems they were good for a year. Best you check.

Offline kfedka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #779 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:22 AM »
I've been hitting the perch right off the bottom in about 25' of water. No bluegills yet. Which part of the lake are you fishing?

Haven't ice fished the lake, just shore in the summer. Where would be a good spot to start from?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.