Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540112 times)

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #540 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:51 PM »
i hung up the auger i have been steelheading the bite is on, but probably not for a lot longer, good luck all, be safe talk to you next winter fishslayer out.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #541 on: Mar 19, 2011, 12:33 PM »
There have still been guys fishing the south and west side of Cocolalla.  I would bet the lakes that froze up hard and thick are probably still good as long as you can get on to the cake.  Kelso and others that are shaded are mostlikely still ok to fish.  But be safe.  I am probably going to go check out a few of them today.  Ill post later if I do. 

Stay on the dry side of the ice.

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #542 on: Mar 22, 2011, 10:09 PM »
Went out to Kelso probably for the last time this year. Caught 10 or so bluegill, 2 bass and some pumpkin seeds. Last Sunday I drug up a 14 inch perch. Still about 6 inches of decent ice under 5 inches of watery slush. I'm new to this site so hopefully this helps some last minute folks.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #543 on: Mar 23, 2011, 01:01 AM »
Welcome to IceShanty IdahoNative.

Thanks for the helpful info which, for me, is accepting that it's over. I'm waterproof to 10", but the sloogin' thru that isn't fun any more.

Stay on top,   

Tom

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #544 on: Mar 23, 2011, 08:01 AM »
I think Ill stick a fork in it for this year.  Its time to get the boat ready...

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #545 on: Mar 26, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Till next year fellas.. Keep your lines tight and stay on the dry side.
Too bad my truck is in the shop or I would be hitting the mouth of the Pack river on LPO to find me some Eyes.

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
ice
« Reply #546 on: Nov 14, 2011, 08:32 PM »
we need a artic blast

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #547 on: Nov 14, 2011, 09:53 PM »
Careful what you wish for Eatumfish, but we do need ice.  Really nice to see this topic comin' out the Summer hibernation. Some of Iceshanty members have been on- line and with it EVERYDAY since ice out.
I confess, guilty.    :woot: :roflmao:

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #548 on: Nov 15, 2011, 08:01 PM »
I see ice on McArthur lake,  I know it's alittle erly but getting anxious      :icefish:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #549 on: Nov 15, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Was driving by Fry Creek this AM and it's fully skimmed over but not to the Lake yet. Nice outlook for the weekend @-6f. That'll stiffen it a bit. Fish off the piers for another two weeks and stay safe.

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #550 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:06 PM »
yeah thats good advice

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #551 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:58 PM »
Pack River frozen over at the General Store, no tracks on it, just a sign of cooler temps.
In 36 years, I've never seen or heard of ice fishing on the Pack ~ just skaters. Big danger there with the moving water. Be safe.

Offline PIKE_PALACE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #552 on: Nov 18, 2011, 12:10 AM »
Hi fellas, I don't know if any of you have ever been on the Alaska Outdoors Forum but I am a regular member over there as I live in Alaska but am down in Moscow now going to school. Can't wait to get some ice here to get after some fish! Would like to catch some Perch this winter and it sounds like all the usual places are still producing (I grew up in CDA from 91 to '03 before moving to AK). Lower Twin sounds like it's still produces nice Perch, any help would be appreciated. A bit early for ice fishing but it won't be long!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #553 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:18 AM »
Welcome PIKE_PALACE, sounds as if you may be a native "spud" or close to it and to be back home for the higher learning thing is admirable, for sure. You might find a few fish east of Potlatch or a bit south at Winchester Lake. Keep us posted and stay safe.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #554 on: Nov 19, 2011, 08:02 AM »
I know the cold is coming.  I just hope the snow will hold off a little until we get safe ice.  Started the auger up the other day.  I could be ready on pretty short notice.

Offline JakeTischer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #555 on: Nov 20, 2011, 10:29 AM »
Hello, I just moved to Rathdrum from Minnesota, and I was wondering what lake usually freezes first around here and which lakes have the best population of good sized gills and/or crappies. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #556 on: Nov 20, 2011, 01:31 PM »
Welcome Jake T.
 Round Lake at the State Park of the same name is sorta down in a bit of a hole and with our marginal temps, is often the first to have safe ice. But the main take, usually, is perch or planter trout, with a few native trout as a bonus. There are also several other species in there. Not sure of the crappie and gils in there. Hope you brought some Minnesota tricks with you and will share a few of those with us spud heads.

Offline JakeTischer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #557 on: Nov 20, 2011, 02:47 PM »
Many thanks Idahogator. The help is greatly appreciated. Hopefully some Minnesota tricks work around here and if they do I'll let you guys know!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #558 on: Nov 20, 2011, 03:07 PM »
JakeT, you may find many more replys here as the ice thickens. The locals that have found Iceshanty are few in number and don't have the daily addiction, year round. Stay safe and in touch.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #559 on: Nov 21, 2011, 01:12 AM »
Friday morning I went out and checked local ice conditions...  Spring Valley had a light skim of ice on half the lake.  Moose Creek Reservoir was completely covered with a thin layer of ice.  Put about 70lbs or so of pressure on the ice from the dock and she flexed, but didn't break.  Figure a week or two and she should be good to go if we can lay off getting any more snow.

Jim

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #560 on: Nov 21, 2011, 01:17 AM »
 >:( Just checked weather.com...  She's going to warm up and rain this week.  Looks like it is going to be awhile.

Jim

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #561 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:49 PM »
crap!!!!! >:(

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #562 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:02 PM »
My sentiments exactly, I just spell it differently, ha. Walking in the driveway and county road, no way to keep my lugged boots from hydroplaning. Looks like a bit more time fishin' off the docks.    ;)2

Wishin' I was... :icefish:

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #563 on: Nov 23, 2011, 01:02 AM »
We need to get some good ice going quick! I have just accepted a job in Arizona. I have, maybe, two months of training up here and then I'm off to warmer climates! I would really like to catch some big pike before I go. After that I will be forced to fish for stripers or other sweet warm water species!
I fish therefore I lie

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #564 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:31 PM »
Fishaddict, I guess it's congrats on the job, due to the economy but, wow, no ice, yikes, what a horrible thought. On the other hand, it's rather easy to keep warm most of the year, and hey, you might even get to see a HABOOB. And, if you're bilingual and really like chillies, it'll be almost heaven. Even mo' better for you if you have a CCW and have good aim, ha. Those stripers are a blast and tasty.
Hope you find some pike. Keep us posted and stay safe.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #565 on: Nov 26, 2011, 10:57 PM »
I'm looking for a Marcum VX-1 Pro flasher and haven"t noticed much movement in price.  They all seem to be $299 with an occasional $269 showing up on e-bay.   Has anybody seen a pattern if and when these go on sale?  I keep hearing about sales for $199 now and then and haven't seen them.   I'm thinking of picking one up for using on some of the smaller lakes as well as Priest Lake.  The ice last week had me starting to think about getting on the ice but then the warmer weather brought back the reality that it's only November.  I was in Coeur d'Alene today and saw several displays of ice fishing gear out....that also gets the blood pumping!

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #566 on: Nov 26, 2011, 11:55 PM »
Some skim was starting to form on the north end of Fernan about a week ago, but I'm sure it's long gone by now.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #567 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:14 AM »
We had our first ice-out on Pack River.  4" of solid crystal, the best kind, all gone and open water.     :(

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #568 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:16 AM »
plfish...  I have seen some vx-1's marked down in Cabelas bargan cave from time to time.  I have a vx-1 that I have had for at least 5 years now.  I love it.   If you fish in deep water like Priest lake you might want more power, but where I fish it works fine.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #569 on: Nov 29, 2011, 10:08 PM »
Killer deals on electronics don't happen too much until around February...  Cabela's at that time, at least in Post Falls, usually runs a 15-20% off all ice fishing gear.

Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.