Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540118 times)

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #420 on: Feb 05, 2011, 02:00 PM »
Only ones I've heard of are the ones I caught. I'm sure that some bruisers are cruising there though.
I fish therefore I lie

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #421 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:12 PM »
Fished Springy Point this afternoon with no luck.  Ice was 14".  I talked with one guy coming off and he had caught 3 but all were 3 inches (I'm assuming perch).  Another guy coming off the ice had been there from noon until 5 and had 7 perch but in the 7 inch range.  I had stopped by the Dover docks but didn't go down to the ice.  A guy was just coming off and had spent some time out there with no luck.  He had a fishfinder but never saw anything on it.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #422 on: Feb 06, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Hit Upper Twin yesterday and saw a few pike coming off the ice.  None in my sled though.  I had one flag but it was dropped.  I caught a few pumpkinseeds jigging though.  Wasnt a bad day the sun was out and kinda warm. But the wind sucked.

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #423 on: Feb 06, 2011, 12:31 PM »
I fished Hauser for cats from 3-6:30 only one bullhead no big channel cats ice is thick at least 10" the shoreline was tricky from the ice shifting. Is everyone pumped to watch the superbowl should be a good one. :tipup:

Offline A-Bomb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #424 on: Feb 06, 2011, 02:30 PM »
Took some friends and their 3yo boy to Cocolalla yesterday. Fishing was great with 30 perch caught in just a couple hours. Perch are good size now, avarage fish was 9". Holy cow was it packed though. I have never seen so many people on that lake in all my years fishing it. Not everyone was getting them though, you needed to be actively jigging. Green  sw.pimple was the hot color for us. Man they were yummy last night! Saved a bunch of the 5"ers for pike in a couple months!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #425 on: Feb 06, 2011, 02:51 PM »
Ya, looked as if a Tournament was going on there. And the north access parking, out into the street, was worse than the  much ignored restroom (bring your wipes).

Only took 5 brookies and had a nice sunny outing.

Next time I'll consider a side arm to wend off the "wheeler freeks".

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #426 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:10 PM »
  How thick was the ice on there?

Jim

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #427 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Fished Hayden all day today and didn't pop a flag. Guys behind us pulled a 7 pounder in and that was the only action we saw. Ice was 11" where we were at.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #428 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:59 PM »
  How thick was the ice on there?

Jim
Delay of game on me, Jim. Was 9" of ice, within a 1/4" in twenty two places, some over,some under.

Tom

Offline Gypodog Jr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #429 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:17 PM »
I musta seen you out there sniper...I fished Hayden midday today with my son.  Did you have a shanty positioned about middle of the bay?   We had one take-and-drop right after we set up at about 10:30, and that was it. pulled my sets at 2:00 to make the superbowl.  We were the ones that hiked quite a ways down the bay and set up.  Hayden sorta has me scratchin my head.  I catch pike all summer long there and then get shut out on the ice.  Must be doin something wrong.  I'm thinking of trying a florocarbon leader setup next year instead?  God knows I'll keep tryin.

Rich    

Offline A-Bomb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #430 on: Feb 06, 2011, 11:32 PM »
Delay of game on me, Jim. Was 9" of ice, within a 1/4" in twenty two places, some over,some under.

Tom

I concur.

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #431 on: Feb 07, 2011, 04:23 PM »
I musta seen you out there sniper...I fished Hayden midday today with my son.  Did you have a shanty positioned about middle of the bay?   We had one take-and-drop right after we set up at about 10:30, and that was it. pulled my sets at 2:00 to make the superbowl.  We were the ones that hiked quite a ways down the bay and set up.  Hayden sorta has me scratchin my head.  I catch pike all summer long there and then get shut out on the ice.  Must be doin something wrong.  I'm thinking of trying a florocarbon leader setup next year instead?  God knows I'll keep tryin.

Rich    

Yeah that was us out there. stayed till 5 but no flags. Was the fourth time we've been out there but still haven't hooked into one yet. have seen others pull them out so we know they are there. definately a lot easier to hook them in the spring and summer!

Offline fishinPA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #432 on: Feb 07, 2011, 06:28 PM »
Fished Cocolalla on 2/5/11.  Best day of perch fishing I've ever had at this lake.  I fished the east side of the lake with what seemed like a cast of thousands.  Ice was about 10 inches thick.  I started about 8:30 AM with maggots on a Frostie glow jig just off the bottom at a depth of 40 feet and had steady action until about 10:30.  The key was being willing to move to find the fish.  I was coming up empty for a while and a couple of guys 25 yards away were pulling perch in hand over fist.  I finally found a pair of hot holes, where I fished the rest of the afternoon.  The perch preferred a black jig with a worm trailer during the afternoon bite.  I had nonstop action pulling in a total of
40 perch that ran 8-9 inches.  I only had to throw a few dinks back.  I fished this lake 2 years ago and had to throw half of them back because they were less than 6 inches.  Things are looking up.  Tight lines!

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #433 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:24 PM »
Anybody have any advice for how to catch some macks out of Priest Lake?  I know Cavanaugh Bay is a hotspot, but what's the best way to go after them?

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #434 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:54 PM »
Anybody have any advice for how to catch some macks out of Priest Lake?  I know Cavanaugh Bay is a hotspot, but what's the best way to go after them?

How's the ice there?  Biggest thing to hit Macks through the ice the last five years or so is tube jigs, 3-5", and white to chartreuse color.

Jim

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #435 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:02 AM »
I just talked with my buddy from Colin Sat night and he said there is no ice in his area of Priest Lake for ice fishing.

Offline Fullerfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #436 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:52 AM »
I checked out a few spots on Pend Oreille  There was hardly any ice out at Sunnyside.  The new ice broke up when we were there.  Perch bay had lots of perch, but it was hard to break 5".  I have had reports from all over the lake and pretty much the same thing is being said.  There just aren't any big perch being caught right now.

Offline iwantabuggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #437 on: Feb 08, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Are the 5 inchers males or females?
Keep your gun powder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #438 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:27 PM »
I just talked with my buddy from Colin Sat night and he said there is no ice in his area of Priest Lake for ice fishing.

The north end of Priest is frozen over.  Coolin doesn't have much ice at all let alone ice you'd want to walk on.  I think Cavanaugh Bay also has quite a bit of open water as well.  Overall the south end of the lake is fairly open but the north end does have more ice and folks have seen people out fishing. If you're using the tube baits are you putting a strip of squawfish on it?

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #439 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:44 PM »
I didn't ever use cut bait with tubes, the green and white crippled herring is the best i've used. C'mon cold temps! Mack fishing through the ice is one of my favorites.

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #440 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:54 PM »
Fished Upper Twin for a few hours today and had one flag go up but lost him. Ice was 13-14" Going to try hayden again tomorrow

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #441 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:32 PM »
  Keep us posted on the ice on Priest, please.  Would like to waste a day, and way too much money on gas, and try my luck up there.

Jim

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #442 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:29 AM »
Fished Cocolalla from 1100-3 pm  on Tuesday.  Very active fish, brought home 72 perch and one brook trout.

Offline jwice444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #443 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:29 AM »
I fished cocolalla and got only three perch in an hour and a half or so. Are you fishing the east side of the lake or by the boat ramp? I was also using a black and orange jig tipped with a worm, what were you using? Also, has anyone fished kelso?

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #444 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:20 AM »
East side of the lake, I used small jigs tied below a kastmaster type lure (search lure)  The fellows fishing near me  also did well.  Maggots or a perch eye.  I am heading out today (Wed) will post a report tonight.

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #445 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:34 PM »
Im back in the ranks of the unemployed again sucks anyway more time for fishing maybe i will try rose tomorro.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #446 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:02 PM »
I fished Round Lake today.  I caught 3 Brook trout, 11" long.  Two other  guys had a few brookies and rainbows.  The rainbows run 12 - 13".   Not real fast fishing.  Ice is iffy.  Good ice 12" near the docks but as you get out on the lake it thins out alot.  150 feet straight out from the dock its only 5" or less.  Watch your step and drill your way out to make sure....

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #447 on: Feb 09, 2011, 08:37 PM »
anyone fish spirit lake lately maybe the ice locked up this week just wondering witch side of round did you fish i usualy do ok their but hate paying to park im a cheap skate.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #448 on: Feb 10, 2011, 09:16 AM »
Fishslayer...  I hear you on the permit at state parks.  The way I look at it, a lot of folks feel that way and it helps keep the competition away.  With the open water and the iffy ice about the only place you can fish safely on Round lake is in front of the docks and a ways off to the left.  Most of the other lakes have much better ice right now.  I don't know what happened to Round.  Its sheltered and usually holds its ice pretty well.

Offline jwice444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #449 on: Feb 10, 2011, 09:31 AM »
I hear you can catch a lot of brookies on cocolalla if you're in the right spot. I have tried by the shore, out in the middle and just can't seem to pinpoint where they are. I was wondering if anybody else is having luck with brookies on cocolalla.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.