Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540124 times)

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #360 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:50 AM »
went to upper twin today and the ice around the dock was 7 or 8 inches thick and thier was a few people out fishing... it was a too foot step to get to the ice from the shore and one group comming off the ice said they had no issues with soft ice.   drove to lower twin (par 3 rood) and walked 50 yards off shore to a fella who was fishing and i reached through the ice to check the thickness and it was about 5-6 inches thick.   

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #361 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Aw heck none of that sounds too good i'm still going to rose lake tomorro.

Offline fishpopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #362 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:15 PM »
Fished kelso today. went straight out from the main dock and the fishing was great for trout, easy limit. depth was 27ft and trout were at 10 to 15 ft mostly.  caught some perch on the bottom.  ice was good solid 10"  with a new 4" of snow (snowed all day long)

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #363 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Totally stoked!!!! Just won the large clam jig box in the weekly tourney drawing. I LOVE ICE SHANTY!!!!
I fish therefore I lie

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #364 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:22 PM »
CONGRATS FISHADDICT !

It's a great feeling. You beat the odds.

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #365 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:51 PM »
That is awesome man. Heck I may go to Kelso instead of rose I just cant eat any more planters ever but catching them is fun. Do any of you catch Kokanee out of Mirror lake they plant them their but I have never fished it? Also witch mirror are they in their is about three of them. :tipup:

Offline fishpopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #366 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:02 AM »
 I heard they plant the kokanee at the mirror lake that you have to pay the $4 park/access fee. but i've never fished there.

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #367 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:05 PM »
If I catch them its worth it if not then, not. Is that the one by shepard and gamble towards sandpoint. I'm going to try it wen I get a chance tell you if I catch anything. Be safe freezing rain very slick :tipup:

Offline fishinPA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #368 on: Jan 21, 2011, 04:24 PM »
I fished Mirror Lake 2 years ago.  I believe it costs $4.00 per person now, not just per vehicle.  I saw guys catching small kokes about 75 to 100 yards southwest of the parking area.  If you get impatient, the fishing for planted rainbows may be good in the shallower southern part of the lake near the Boy Scout camp. 

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #369 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:37 PM »
thanks for all the advice very helpful I like this web site sharing info with everyone very cool. I am going now even in the slop I need a new fishing lake. Jewel is one of my favorites the catfish are awesome. If you can get one, the last one we caught was an easy 10# and something is always biting. Now they have crappie, rainbows, perch and gil. most small still fun and most of the time you are the only one their. :tipup:

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #370 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:50 PM »
I am not really sure what Mirror you are refering to. But my guess would be the one south of Sagle.  Mirror Lake state park.  Its off of Dufort. Just north if Cocollala.  If you buy a Idaho State parks pass you can fish/launch there year round for 25$  I buy the pass because I launch out of Faragut and its good there too.

This link is for stocking info. http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/stocking/  For the state.

Mirror lake in the Panhandle is stocked every year with Kams and Kokes.   But I doubt there is much for carry over fish. I have heard guys do well on the kokes but I havent caught one there.  Or really fished it much ( I am more of a warm water fish guy)

Be Careful!!!!!  I havent been able to load my pics from UT of some BIG ASS HOLES.  The Holes people drilled a week ago are BIG!!  I have a photo of a 20" hole next to my sled.  With big water draining into it.  Dont want to find those after dark.  You better know where your going right now unless it really cools off.

BTW  Was it one of you guys I ran into at Kelos Wednesday after you came off the ice with a 1hr limit? I was in the Blue Dakota.

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #371 on: Jan 22, 2011, 12:45 PM »
O.K. guys...need some help. I'm thinking of going up to gamble tomorrow to try for some of those jumbo perch, and was also thinking about hitting Jewel since I'll be up that way. Here's my problem. I want to catch some of those channel cats out of jewel but am worried if I just fish with crawlers the perch and gills will keep eating them before the cats have a chance. So. Any tips on baits you guys use for channel cats that work good and might not be attacked constantly by the little guys. I will be jigging for perch and gills, don't get me wrong, but wanted to run some tip ups for the cats. I'm thinking maybe cut bait, but have never fished them through the ice.
I fish therefore I lie

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #372 on: Jan 22, 2011, 03:26 PM »
Cut bait.

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #373 on: Jan 22, 2011, 04:04 PM »
Yes some cut bait, smelt, haring or big gobs of power bait a foot or so off the bottom. Something that the perch and sunfish will leave alone strong line helps no need for leader. We have our best luck with cats right after dark the one we caught was south east of the boat launch on the pad edge.  No need to wait to pull they eat on the run I pull the tip up slowly, wait till the cat is pulling, and pull back hard. They fight like a pike good luck and have fun. You are supposed to leave by 10pm but i have stayed a little longer.  Also bring as many people as you can more bait more smell, and that is what they key off on :tipup:

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #374 on: Jan 22, 2011, 04:19 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! I'll let you know how we do.
I fish therefore I lie

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #375 on: Jan 22, 2011, 08:44 PM »
  Went to Spring Valley Reservoir this evening.  Had six or seven inches of good ice, small layer of water, and then another 6 inches of ice.  Ice is slick so be sure to have your ice cleats on.

Jim

Offline Smulkowski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #376 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:43 AM »
Man, I don't miss Spring Valley one bit.  It was always nice to scratch the itch when I couldn't take it anymore, but yikes...what a funny little place.  I don't know if you do any warm season fishing, Slayer, but I have a few spots that I'd be willing to share from my time on the Palouse.  PM me and I'd be happy to share. 

P.S. You forgot to mention how you did!   :)

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #377 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:33 PM »
Where are you guys talking about Channel cats? Mirror? I didnt know they are in there.

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #378 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:19 PM »
Where are you guys talking about Channel cats? Mirror? I didnt know they are in there.

Jewel lake in Sagle.

Did anybody try it this weekend ?

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #379 on: Jan 23, 2011, 03:41 PM »
Yes the Channel Cats are in Jewel lake their are none in mirror. They plant Jewel with them every few years. It is off jewel lake rd off of Dufort. Go west on dufort off of the highway past round lake past cocalalla slough, its a ways back in their.  If the weather was colder I ice fish the slough sometimes ,good bass,  but it goes up and down with the river makeing week ice,  it rocks in the spring. :tipup:

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #380 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:48 PM »
Man, I don't miss Spring Valley one bit.  It was always nice to scratch the itch when I couldn't take it anymore, but yikes...what a funny little place.  I don't know if you do any warm season fishing, Slayer, but I have a few spots that I'd be willing to share from my time on the Palouse.  PM me and I'd be happy to share. 

P.S. You forgot to mention how you did!   :)

Didn't mention how I did since it is Spring Valley!  Fished about an hour or so and caught six or seven bows.  With the derby coming next Saturday, I figured I would do some scouting for the family.  Ya, Spring Valley isn't that much, but it has a foot of ice!

Jim

Offline Hauser lake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #381 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:04 AM »
Took a trip to hause lake (stepped out of my front door lol) weather warmed up so i want shallow (three feet of water) found some trout. hooked in the first one that broke me of somehow? and then landed a 14in right after that. Then hooked into a monster but lost gim as i was getting his head of through the whole. looked alot bigger, felt like it to.  :'( ill be out there tommorow. ill post report. ;D

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #382 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Hauser.

Offline fishinPA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #383 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:56 AM »
Hit two lakes in the Panhandle with two buddies and their 4 boys, ages 4-6 years old.  We started at Kelso at about 8AM and caught 12 inch planter trout at about 10-12 feet in 35 feet of water straight out from the dock.  They seemed to like the worms more than the jigs with skirts. 

We headed out around 11 AM and went to Upper Twin.  We fished the bottom for perch and did well with mostly smaller perch and sunfish.  The bite was sporadic until about 3 PM, when they started to feed aggressively for about half an hour.  Kept about 15 that were 7-8 inches.  Depth was about 14 feet and we used chartreuse glow jigs with worms. 

Kids were excited about catching fish.  When the bite slowed, they pulled each other around on sleds.  Glad there was lots of room on the lake.  By the end of the day they were almost all asleep on the ride home.  Doesn't get better than that.

Been reading the blogs over the last week about Mirror Lake.  Just wanted to clarify something for those not familiar with the area.  The State Park west of 95 on Dufort Road is Round Lake State Park, not Mirror Lake.  Mirror is east of 95 and has a small private resort.  Happy hunting.

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #384 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:39 PM »
That sounds like fun fishinPa. I did not make it out this weekend the playoffs and my wife had me moving couches good times. Welcome to ice shanty Hauser, were on the lake do you fish. I normly fish the north end their are not a lot of rainbows at that end. If I were you I would have tip ups out for Muskie all the time and watch them from the couch with binocs haha. :tipup:

Offline Hauser lake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #385 on: Jan 25, 2011, 01:52 AM »
I fish the south east corner, went out to the same spot today. no fish. gunna try and find them tommorow. Gotta a lot of holes to drill

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #386 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:09 PM »
Well good and bad news. Got a new job, less time for fishing more money. That is always how it is for me. All the time in the world to fish no money or all the money no time. I wish you all lots of luck and will check in from time to time. Catch one for the Slayer. @) :tipup: :icefish:

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #387 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:13 AM »
Yeah me too, it's nice to have money but being on the ice is nice. Congrats!

Offline idaho4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #388 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Does anyone ever fish any of the lakes in Boundry County? (Perkins, Dawson, Brush, etc.)  I got to spend the day on Dawson just before Christmas and it was an AWESOME day topped off with this 6 1/2 lbs largemouth!

Just curious if anyone has any reports from up there?

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #389 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:44 AM »
I was just on Dawson the other day.  The ice is excellent maybe 14 inches or so of good ice, no slop.  I did not mark any fish after about 15 holes so I packed it up.  Might have been the day or could be the lower oxygen levels which seem to affect the lakes this time of year.  No one else fishing the lake. 
I may hit Perkins today.  Brush may or may not have access problems, as they don't plow the road.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.