Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540124 times)

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #330 on: Jan 14, 2011, 05:01 AM »
went to upper twin yesterday(the 13th) and fished for 2 hours.... was on the lake from 2 until 4.... 4 inches of water/ slush on top of the ice.   we caught alot of 3-5 inch pearch.   thier was still 9-12 inches of good ice under the water.   this weather sux and i think i'll hang up my auger for a few weeks

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #331 on: Jan 14, 2011, 05:43 PM »
It is my fault as I just bought a new shanty and a plow for the 4 wheeler.

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #332 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:31 PM »
I hate this weather!! Everyone is so happy that it's thawing out, but I'm pissed! Just started getting in to the pike, and then rain for the next week. At least I can get home, get online, and complain to a whole group of people who understand. Come on cold weather.....please come back soon.

Tight Lines Guys, and if you go out in this crap be safe, could make some soft spots real quick.
I fish therefore I lie

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #333 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:24 PM »
 :)I fished Spirit today at the west end, ice  is surprisingly O.K. for now yet only 5" maybe 6" clear, seems strong for now. The rain wind and new pole did not help my blueback fishing .me and a fellow die hard fished all day and caught 1/2 a limit between the two of us . I missed a lot they ran at all kinds of depths. Got wet, my ice hole looked like a toilet bowl of water running under the ice, it grew all day so watch your step. With a ten inch hole wen I left it could be 14" or more tomorrow, and the pressure ridge crack was also drinking water and looked funky. Be safe get to Spirit wile the ice lasts. ??? I am going back for revenge. 

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #334 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Where do you park at to fish the west end of Spirit?

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #335 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:06 AM »
Their is a boat launch at  a little resort thing about 4miles around backside of lake. Do not park at lake must park on the main road above launch they will let you drive down to lake and set your stuff out but park above. you will see a bunch of cars on the road most of the time try to get off the road and do not block the mail boxes. Their is a lot of fish between their and the island good luck have fun :tipup:

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #336 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:12 AM »
fishslayer...did you happen to take any pics of the fish you caught? ???  If so, please share!

Jim

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #337 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:32 AM »
I did not ,but the Kokanee do not seem as large or abundant as last year to me. Hard to say with only one trip to spirit under my belt this year.  Do you know how to get pics from my phone to this web site? I got some good ones do I E-mail them in?  :tipup:

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #338 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:57 AM »
Heck, you probably have to search through this site to find out how to post pics.  Feel free to email some to [email protected] for me to look at!!! ;D  Never fished Kokanee through the ice and the way this winter is going I might have to wait until next year. :(

Jim

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #339 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:56 PM »
I went back to spirit today did not catch a lot of kokanee just 5, 3of them went back because they were tiny. I hooked a big Cuthroat  on the way through the ice I lost it,  was 20" plus. So then I put out 4 tip ups for trout caught 2 more much smaller ones I put back. Kind of odd I dont catch a lot of cuthroat at spirit and the Kokanee are just not biteing like they used to maybe the trout are eating them? My spot gets fished pretty hard going to try someplace else on the lake next time. :tipup: :tipup:

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #340 on: Jan 16, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Anyone make it on to twin yesterday?  Hows the ice?  Slick I bet.

Offline Nathan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #341 on: Jan 16, 2011, 03:47 PM »
Fished Round Lake, Cocolalla and Kelso Lakes yesterday. Good ice 10+ inches on all. Cocolalla is starting to melt at the shore.

Round Lake: 6 nice trout all 10 to 14 inches all full bodied (slow, but steady)
Coccalala: Nothing. A lot a fishermen, I saw two perch caught by a young kid. Good for him.
Kelso: 6 trout quickly. Ranged from 8 to 14 inches. These were skinny trout. Very purple looking. They fought well.

I guess i should clarify that there were three of us fishing. We all stayed within our limits.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #342 on: Jan 16, 2011, 03:58 PM »
Welcome to IcaShanty, Nathan1, and thanks for the reports.

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #343 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:29 PM »
Whats up Nathan good to hear some positive ice reports. I was wondering were on Cocolalla you fished on the east side? I might stop their on my way home tomorrow. Also any brookies out of Round lake? :tipup:

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #344 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:58 AM »
Hit upper Twin yesterday.  Still plenty of ice a good 10-12" but the first 3 is frozen slush and soft.  But the clear ice under is still very hard.  I caught 14 pumpkin seed sunfish the biggest was almost 8"  But I dropped my phone in the water on the way out and couldnt get a pic.  I had them all layed out on the ice ready for a pic and my phone wouldnt work..  So they all went back in and swam away.  I caught them all the last 30 min I was there.  No perch of Pike.

Think I will go back and do it again today.  Maybe hook up on a Pike!  Yesterday was the first time I had my traps out this year.

No fish were injured in the makeing of this post.

Offline kfedka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #345 on: Jan 17, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Any ice reports of Hauser Lake?

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #346 on: Jan 17, 2011, 12:31 PM »
Yea I was at Hauser last week I think the ice should still be very thick 8" 10". I fish the north end though never been out on the south side this year. Hats off to anyone fishing in this crud today I got nuff wind and rain last Fri and not many fish good luck lakes may get soft around the edge Be safe always check the ice. :tipup:

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #347 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:40 PM »
Went to Kelso today for a couple of hours. Sun was shining, it was about 50 degrees and the trout were biting. Still had about 12 inches of ice. Some of the lake has water on top but the area out from the dock was great. All in all a very pleasant day on the lake with a good friend and my son, all of whom caught their limit!
I fish therefore I lie

Offline Nathan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #348 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Thank you. A neighbor told me about it. What a great resource.

Offline Nathan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #349 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Whats up Nathan good to hear some positive ice reports. I was wondering were on Cocolalla you fished on the east side? I might stop their on my way home tomorrow. Also any brookies out of Round lake? :tipup:

I fished on the north end of Cocolalla. SE of the boat ramp.

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #350 on: Jan 18, 2011, 01:36 PM »
I just got home from Spirit lake i think its a goner for this year ice is thin and broken up around shore. I went out but left  quickly when the sun came up and the ice started cracking around me.  I guess the kokanee win this year but thats ok I do not think they are doing very well. :tipup: I am working on a dock house in hauser next few days  amI gonna set my tipups around me first. ::)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #351 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:52 PM »
It's only mid-January!!!  Keep the fingers crossed for a nice cold snap...I am!  Planning on finding ice through March, even though this Friday is a big question mark.

Jim

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #352 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:42 AM »
Be carefull out there. There were some big holes on UT monday. Big enough to fall through if you didn't see them. And they should have a skim of ice on them today. I will post a picture of one later.

Offline teamtigerstripe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #353 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:48 AM »
Has anyone been up to Gamble since the heavy rains?  Just wondering what the ice conditions are?  If any... ??? ???
Tiger Stripe

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #354 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:13 AM »
17 degrees here this morning.  Should help tighten things up.  I live about 4 or 5 crowfly miles from Twin lakes.  The long range forcast is kinda ify.   Not too cold, not real warm.  Just on the edge.  Hopefully sometime in this next month we will get a cold snap or two.   

Offline wazzuwalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #355 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:14 AM »
Headed to Hayden on Friday, anyone have a report on the ice conditions since the rain?

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #356 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:51 AM »
What about Rose lake any of you fellas been their since the rain, I need to pull at least one nice pike out of their this year its tradition :tipup:

Offline Smulkowski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #357 on: Jan 19, 2011, 12:06 PM »
As of Monday, Rose was loose in places with quite a bit of standing water, and about 4-6 inches of relatively good ice...there were some very weak looking places on the ice.  Rose Creek was flowing backwards into the lake.  Kilarney had come up several feet and access to the good ice out several feet would have been possible with some long planks.

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #358 on: Jan 19, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Thanks for the info. Gaw I hope the weather gets colder, we fish Rose for another month most years, im going out their on friday if it is safe?

Offline fishpopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #359 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Went to fernan after work to see if it will be fishable the next few days. Looks like the water has risen about one foot or so. access at the main boat launch was roped off with yellow caution tape (totally flooded)the solid ice was about 10 + ft away from shore. you would need to use a private dock to get past the open water on to some good ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.