Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540134 times)

Offline born2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #240 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Jim

If you do end up in Winchester on Friday could you report on the ice. I planning on going  up there Saturday but with weather like this I am worried about the ice. I would be there Friday however this dam work think is getting in the way. Haha

Jake

Offline born2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #241 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:23 AM »
Welcome to IceShanty, born2fish.
Somebody told you right - this is THE place for hard-water info.
 ? You have some special reg. there for a dozen trout?
Oh, I get it, they were brookies and you kept one less than half a limit, cool.

Nope catch and release, fly fishermen by heart in the summer.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #242 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:54 AM »
Please pardon my question. Your heart is in the right place after all.
Have a good season.   Tom     :thumbsup:

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #243 on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:44 PM »
I'm stuck in Tucson AZ working but I'm coming home friday and was hoping for a report from Spirit. My wife was out at twin and said she thought it was to thin for her but since she thinks i'm crazy she was going to plug my finder in and get the battery charged up for me. Has anyone been out to Spirit Lake? I heard it was warming up again. I cant wait to leave this heat!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #244 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:19 PM »
I was on Upper Twin on Sunday....  5-6 inches.   Spirit had little or no ice at that time.  It was 38 degrees and raining today.  The forcast is for pretty much the same for the next week or so.  30's in the day time and lucky if it freezes at night.  It sucks, but thats what we got.   

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #245 on: Dec 10, 2010, 02:19 PM »
I will not be participating in any raindeer games on the ice this weekend.  Not after this weather.
Sure hop it gets realy cold realy soon.

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #246 on: Dec 10, 2010, 04:01 PM »
checked the ice @ u-twin this morning.(friday)..... walked maby 10 yds off the dock and headed back... the holes that were open from prior use were 3 inches thick at best and there was 2 to 4 inches of slobber/fresh wet snow on top of the solid ice....  i love to fish the dry side of the ice and i dont think that that is possible with the conditions at upper twin.   

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #247 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:15 AM »
Good luck to anyone that ventures out this weekend.  And stay on the dry side of the ice.  BE SAFE!!!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #248 on: Dec 11, 2010, 03:19 PM »
Just went by Upper Twin at noon today.  I didn't expect to see anyone out there but five groups of people out on the ice.  I walked out and talked two guys and to see how much ice they had.  2 inches of good solid ice on the bottom with 4 inches of slushy ice on top.  It was better then I expected.  The two I talked to had about 30 or so smallish perch each.  The forcast dosen't look good.  If it freezes tonight I may go tomorrow. If not Ill probably wait for it to tightens up again. 

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #249 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:36 PM »
Jim

If you do end up in Winchester on Friday could you report on the ice. I planning on going  up there Saturday but with weather like this I am worried about the ice. I would be there Friday however this dam work think is getting in the way. Haha

Jake

Jake,
Hope you saw my report...I put it on the other ice report thread.

Jim

Offline born2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #250 on: Dec 11, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Yep got it Thanks Jim

Did make it to Winchester however went to Spring Valley again caught another 12 or so not to bad however very slow fishing and a lot of misses. Not hitting as hard as last week.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #251 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:49 AM »
Blueduck? Were you one of the guys I talked to in the parking lot at upper twin last weekend?  I was the guy in the blue Dakota without any gear.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #252 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Riske...  Could be.  I was sure enough there.   Me and my partner were just coming off the ice.  I was the with the longer beard.  I remember talking to several people but didn't pay attention to any rigs.  We were in his white chevy pickup with a camper.  When Im driving it will be in a grey toyota with a canopy or a red 4x4 ford.  If you spot me out there, give a holler.....

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #253 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:04 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm brand new and just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. This weather is driving me CRAZY, I want to go ice fishing so bad! The other day I found a little bit of info on Gamlin Lake, but not much. Was wondering if any of you guys have fished it. I figured if I asked now I would have some info by the time everything freezes up. Are the perch really as big in Gamlin as they say? Also, any advice for where,when and how to catch macs out of priest thru the ice. Thanx for any help you can give. See you on the ice (if it ever freezes up)
I fish therefore I lie

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #254 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Welcome to IceShanty fishaddict.
Don't hold your breath waiting on perch at Gamlin. I,ve heard they're far between, but large. Also tiger musky, so you might get bit off.  Good luck,  Tom

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #255 on: Dec 16, 2010, 04:51 AM »
from time to time priest freezes up but again dont hold your breath... i think it was 2-3 years ago was the last time it was thick enough to be on and when it does its only 2-4 inches... when the ice gets thick enough to walk on people keep thier lips closed for the most part....

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #256 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:50 AM »
Well...thanks guys. I think I'll probably still try Gamlin Tom. I figure if I dont get any of those jumbo perch I can always hit Cocallala on the way home. Finally a cold night last night, hope it keeps it up. I was in the silver valley yesterday and Cataldo is real close to being in the river, wierd weather for Dec. Gotta freeze up tight soon. My kids, and of course my wife are bugging me for fish dinner. They are getting sick of elk and deer. "Uh, dad, backstraps again! When can we have some fish?" This was from my seven year old. Tight lines all! Be safe if you go out with this weather. Dave
I fish therefore I lie

Offline Wapiti300

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #257 on: Dec 16, 2010, 12:37 PM »
Hey all.  I'm from montana but will be visiting my wife's family in post falls for the holidays and was looking for some good spots to catch some trout and maybe some pike too.  I would appreciate any tips you locals can give me. 

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #258 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:23 AM »
a good place to find pike are in the chain lakes....  they run a little small but the 5 pounders are a blast to catch....  use tip-ups with small hering.   and the trout are a little tough to catch right now with most of the good lakes being covered with a thin layer of ice.... maby some one else would have a good idea for trout...

Offline Wapiti300

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #259 on: Dec 17, 2010, 01:08 PM »
thanks for the tip.  I'll definately try the chain lakes.  I hear a lot of people talk about round lake for trout.  how is the ice there?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #260 on: Dec 17, 2010, 01:13 PM »
Here is a link that may help you, Wapiti300.   Good luck.  Tom

http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/roundlake.aspx

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #261 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:00 PM »
I just stopped by Round Lake on my way home from Clark Fork this afternoon.  3 groups out on the lake.  They say there is about 5 inches of ice.

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #262 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:47 PM »
Thanks for the info blueduck! Was anyone catching anything. Think I'll take the family out there tomorrow. Hope to eat fish for dinner. Stay Cold Please.
I fish therefore I lie

Offline elkfiend

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #263 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Fished Upper Twin today. Slow, about 12 perch and one sunfish over the course of several hours. A few groups out on the lake. One group appeared to have 15 yo 20 tip ups out and I overheard them say they only had one flag up all day.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #264 on: Dec 17, 2010, 08:50 PM »
How much Ice on twin? How does it look? Its only been cold for about 24 hours.  But it has still been freezing at night.
There is still open water on Cocolalla and no one has been out by the condos yet.
Kelso and Granite are/were froze but I havent been on them yet. I would imagine they are still.

Offline elkfiend

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #265 on: Dec 18, 2010, 12:14 PM »
About five to six inches on upper twin yesterday, and no slobber. Really good ice conditions. The exception was that the first three feet around the bank was only one inch thick (stepped through while playing around :)). Off the end of the dock was great though. Can anyone give me some tips on catching the trout there or on Round lake? Those are my favorite for dinner. Also, any general tips on pike would be great.

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #266 on: Dec 18, 2010, 03:37 PM »
Fished Rose lake for a while today....nothin. Ran three tip-ups and two jiggin rods and didn't have a bite. Talked to a couple of guys who had caught some bass, bluegill, and one pike. Ice was great. 4-6 inches and solid. I'll try U.T. tomorrow. Report to follow.
I fish therefore I lie

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #267 on: Dec 19, 2010, 01:12 PM »
Anybody checked the ice on Spirit yet ?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #268 on: Dec 19, 2010, 02:57 PM »
Elkfeind, I have always done well on Round for trout with a nightcrawler 8' to 10' below the ice.

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #269 on: Dec 19, 2010, 03:55 PM »
Just got back from upper twin. Perch were biting like crazy this morning! Some pretty nice ones 10 inch+. Came home with about 20 and one renegade largemouth 15 inches long that hit my glow jig. Saw three flags go up from the pikers around me, but none landed. Ice is awesome, like 10-12 inches. Gotta go, got perch in the fry pan!
I fish therefore I lie

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.