Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 542989 times)

Offline teamtigerstripe

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1200 on: Jan 30, 2013, 03:58 PM »
DROCK,  Fished Gamble last Friday and the ice was 10".  Fishing wasn't to bad but my buddy wanted to fish coco so we only got to fish about 2hrs.  I have been waiting on an update for the condos but nobody has posted anything.  Let me know how you do and good luck.   ;D
Tiger Stripe

Offline vl777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1201 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:28 PM »
Me & my buddy fished the condos area last week just before the rains and snow started. Went SE from 3rd ave pier about 80 yards, and then almost straight East, towards the highway. Drilled 25-30 holes, almost to the shore. Depth 3.5'-7.5'. No fish, no bites, during 4-5 hours there.
Ice was fairly good, 4"-5.5" and extended ways out.Haven't seen any tracks or drilled holes.
That was the first time I fished the area; any help locating the fish would be appreciated!  :)

Offline DR0CK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1202 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:21 PM »
Thanks for the report tiger I'll post how i do I'll be up there sat morning for sure so if any of u guys are up there stop by i drive a white silverado with a raiders sticker in back window I'll be huddled up in my blue clam ice shelter .goin out to Avondale tonight after work I'll post how i do good luck guys

Offline DR0CK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1203 on: Jan 31, 2013, 01:41 PM »
fishin was pretty slow last night only a few crappies and bluegills still a good six in. on avondale though

sihlms391

« Reply #1204 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:21 PM »
Well,  is the ice going to last until march this year.  I looked back and the last day I went last year was March 1st.  atholmike was fishing until march 11th.    What was everyones last day of ice fishing last year?

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1205 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:26 PM »
Not sure but almost drove my boat up onto some ice in late March. That could have been bad.

sihlms391

« Reply #1206 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:33 PM »
All the snow is off my boat so now I want to get out on it.  I think I will wait until all the snow is out of the yard.

Offline skullbus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1207 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:52 AM »
Fished Cocolalla yesterday it was a little slow but not like Avondale Wed. night, Cocolalla had a little slush on top and windy like always.The catchin was slow ,we picked up some 9''-10'' perch and also some of the smallest of the year . We talked to a couple of guy's that fished Gamble and caught some monster's and went the next time and caught nothing like usual. They did tell us a story about some guy's that walked from the south end of cocolalla to pick up their Eskimo hut out of the yard of the house next to the boat ramp on the north end............that a long walk!!!!!!!!!!  I'll bet they used the anchor's the  next time  they set up.   

Offline DR0CK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1208 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:56 PM »
went to avondale again last night did a lill better seemed anything glowing made them get after it caught a 4-5 pound largemouth on 4 lb good times ;D

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1209 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:11 PM »
What is the Ice condidions on Cocolalla lake. Im thinking about taking a "Rookie" out Ice fishing tomarro & Coco is the lake I'm leaning toward. Fernan Lake has been a disapointment The last 2 times I have been out. Any suggestions. I want the person to catch fish. I dont care if I dont.

sihlms391

« Reply #1210 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:09 PM »
I have  been doing ok on perch on lower twin.  I heard upper twin is producing a lot of perch but  no  size.   I am interested how cocollala is. 

Offline icefire2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1211 on: Feb 02, 2013, 12:14 PM »
DROCK, How thick was the ice at Avondale?  I live near there and it doesn't look good.
~IceFire2012~

Offline sstaaben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1212 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Went fishing on Round couple days ago between the 3 of us we caught 3 rainbows and 2 perch. We were thinking about Cocollala but haven't heard great things, anyone have a good day out there? Or Granite/Kelso?

Offline DR0CK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1213 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:14 PM »
Avondale had a solid five in. some spots more some less the junk on top is starting to get solid though

Offline DR0CK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1214 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Did take the family up to lower twin and caught a pile of perch like always and like always a bunch of dinks  good for kids though keeps em busy

sihlms391

« Reply #1215 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:07 PM »
anyone hit cocollala  or granite? 

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1216 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Hit a couple lakes today. Chatcolet and Turtle. Perch were good most of the day. Chatcolet has 5 inches of solid ice. Turtle on the other hand was nasty. 2 inches of slush/water on top of white ice with 1 1/2 inch of black under. Was out on Turtle for a couple hours and some guy and his dad came out and set up right next to me like 20 feet away. They even decided to fish one of my holes that i was hopping around to jigging for perch. >:(

sihlms391

« Reply #1217 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:15 PM »
When I go ice fishing I try not to stay away from other people.  They probably felt safer fishing closer to someone.  Never been to chatcolet

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1218 on: Feb 02, 2013, 11:01 PM »
Fished Avondale this morning from 6:00-12:00.  Was slow for me.  I drilled holes in a number of places around the south 1/3 of the lake.  Even tried the weed edges where I find tons of bluegills in the spring and early summer.  I didn't mark any fish in the shallower (9-12 FOW) weed edges.  Caught 3 perch, one dink the other two over 11".  Missed 2 or 3 bites I didn't mark to many more fish than that.   The ice was still pretty good with about 4-5 inches of solid black and 2-3 inches of half frozen slush.  Ice thickness is just beginning to get a bit variable.  A few weeks ago it was pretty much 5-5 1/2" of good black ice everywhere I drilled.  I did notice that the creek outlet below the golfcart road was full of running water with no ice left on it.  It even had a bunch of mallards on it.  So there's a fair bit more flow through the lake now because of the snow melt.   So be extra careful around inlets and outlets.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1219 on: Feb 03, 2013, 01:30 PM »
Fished Blue Lake for an hour yesterday.....couldn't get out until late in the day and got on the ice at 4:00.  Drilled my first hole and set up the Marcum and thought I saw something near the bottom.  Dropped a maggot tipped jig down the hole and when the jig was 3'-4' below the ice  several fish came up from the bottom and the first hook-up happened at 6 feet (in 10 feet of water).  Pulled a 9 inch perch onto the ice. Immediately threw the jig in again and same thing. I had 10 perch on the ice in less than 7 minutes.  Never had time to drill a second hole and never needed to.  I ended up landing 40-45 perch and 1 crappie in that one hour. It's days like this that we keep fishing for!  Blue has been somewhat slow the last  few times for me so it was nice to get a day like this.  Half of the perch were 9 inches with the other half 7"-8".  Now I'm worried that I used up some of my ice karma and will have several slow days! Ice on Blue was 8.5 inches with the top snow covered and a bit slushy for the first 2 inches or so.  Everything below that was solid.

Offline skullbus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1220 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:20 AM »
A Guy just Fell thru the ice at Rose lake Sat. and pulled to saftey by Jim Hendrixson and Seth Patton. The guy fell thru the ice twice before they drug him to shore with a 15' rope, At least they had a rope . Plan on a rescue............... getting 15' to open water had to be scary maybe carry a longer rope  I carry a throw cushion attached to a 50' rope ,lucky they were there. We all push it  I hate to think it's all over but it's not worth going in the drink ! Be careful and good luck it could of been anyone of us ,Let's continue to watch out for each other 

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1221 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:53 AM »
I heard about a lady falling through on Round Lake over the weekend also.  I fished it yesterday and the ice was ok where I was but definately going down hill.  Be careful out there....

Offline arborfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1222 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:06 AM »
fished sportsmans on hayden. got one northern on the ice. she was 6.5lbs, the first one i caught this season. I was fishing with elkhuntinfool and his cousin,had a couple of flags. ice was slick, 3 inches of white ice 3 of clear. not sure how much longer the season will last. i'm glad i got the one gator. better later than never

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1223 on: Feb 05, 2013, 01:50 PM »
Fished eastern Washington lakes this last weekend, all lakes lost about 3 inches in the week.  I think we might have to dust off the boats even earlier this year.  Beginning of February!?!

I suppose the higher elevations might hold ice longer?  Might go out to Winchester or Hayden if I hear of good ice towards the weekend.  Looks like i'm bringing out the longer rope out with me from now on.

Remember to get yourself a good ice bar (thick heavy bar of anything) to check as you walk, listen to the ice if you get a hollow return do not keep going, get yourself a good path that you know the ice is good on when you first go out and make sure you stick to that path whenever you're walking around.  Be safe! Be sure to take advantage of the late ice bite!

Offline Anchorbay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1224 on: Feb 06, 2013, 12:01 PM »
Lots of talk here about going through the ice. I've had some first hand experience with this and here are a couple of suggestions. Take two 4" sections of broomstick or 1"or so doweling drill a hole up the shaft on one end about the size of a 16d and  1" or so deep. Insert the nail then cut it off about 1 to 1 1/2" and sharpen the end. On the other end of the stick drill through the shaft and insert a strong cord about 60" or so long join the two sicks at either end of the cord. Wear this around your neck when out on the ice, if you go through these things can help you get out of the hole you find yourself in. Another old time precaution is as you walk out carry a long stout pole perpendicular to your body. The idea behind this should be obvious. Have enjoyed reading the postings, shaping up to be an awful short season.

Offline sstaaben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1225 on: Feb 06, 2013, 03:59 PM »
We went to Round lake yesterday, there was a lot more open water then a week ago but still not bad if  use your head. I think the final count was 12 decent Perch and 1 Rainbow. White maggots or Worms right off the bottom.

sihlms391

« Reply #1226 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Went to lower twin.  Still decent ice but  a lot of air bubbles in ice.  Fishing was slow.  Caught some perch but there wasn't any size to them today.    Should be good ice as long as we don't get much rain and wind.   ::)

Offline icefire2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1227 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:18 PM »
plfish, Where is Blue Lake located?
~IceFire2012~

Offline arborfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1228 on: Feb 07, 2013, 12:28 PM »
hey ice,  Blue lake is located in Priest River off of east side road.

Offline fishinPA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1229 on: Feb 07, 2013, 06:53 PM »
I fished Fernan Lake the past 2 weekends.  The first weekend there were 5 inches of ice covered with 2 inches of slush.  Hit a honey hole that delivered most of the 25 perch I caught.  They ran 10-11 inches.  That was at about 16 feet.  I returned last week and the ice was more like 3-4 inches with about an inch of soft ice on top.  I found no fish at last week's spot.  They had moved out to about 18 feet.  Caught about 30 perch, but had to cull out about a third of them that were under 10 inches.  Started with maggots and switched to perch eyes after the first one was caught.  Caught them all just off the bottom.  Life is good.  I'd be back out there this weekend, but I'm a little nervous about how warm it's been. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.