The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: jiffy wont drill.  (Read 1079 times)

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
jiffy wont drill.
« on: Dec 22, 2009, 01:13 PM »
I took auger out With old blade and she would not drill. Tried a sharpened blade and same won't drill no matter how much weight I put on still nothing. Would sharpening the point on end of cutter assembley do anything? 

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: jiffy wont drill.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2009, 06:13 PM »
Sharpening the point might help, but you have to be careful. It requires a proper 'angle' and smooth / clean / sharp edges without any rust or corrosion. The same goes for the blades. With properly sharpened point AND undamaged properly sharpened and aligned blades any auger (old or new) 'should' pull itself into the ice without needing to apply any additional downward pressure (weight).

Unfortunately almost any defect in the cutting parts will degrade performance significantly, and it's usually quite difficult to pinpoint the primary problem area(s). Another contributing factor is that the new ice is usually clearer and harder than what anyone would have been drilling through last spring ... well it certainly is here in Southern Manitoba right now.

Good luck.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2009, 06:29 PM »
Would it drill before you changed blades??
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:56 PM »
last winter I dug my 3110 jiffy into the dirt by accident (trying to hit shallow water on a sharp drop and missed LOL).   After that she wouldnt drill a hole.

Replaced the blades and ONCE they caught she'd drill OK...but it took a bit to get that far.  I sharpened the pilot point the other day, havent tried it yet but I'd bet she'll cut just fine.....IF I can get her running LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.