Author Topic: Garmin striker 4 plus cv  (Read 9478 times)

Offline Fat4ss

• IceShanty Rookie
Garmin striker 4 plus cv
« on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:53 PM »
Having troubling rigging my transducer for the ice. I have seen the smaller striker 4 non plus models rigged. But havent found any info on rigging the striker 4 plus cv transducer which is the CV20-TM transducer pictured below which is much bigger. I know there are ice fishing transducers available for it but I am tight on money. If anyone has any tips or tricks I would really appreciate it! Thank you

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Garmin striker 4 plus cv
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2020, 11:21 PM »
Get a 6" piece of a foam float and  push a loop down through it and then drop the ducer through the loop and pull tight, careful not to kink the cord, then you can adjust the ducer up or down for ice thickness.

Offline Fat4ss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2020, 07:11 PM »
My transducer is huge and I've tried that method. I think I'm going to grab a ice ducer for it.

Offline peterk1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2020, 07:15 PM »
I use the foam setup as well.  I keep the plastic piece that attaches to the transducer because I can use it to get the transducer perfectly level.  Works great.

Pete

Offline Fat4ss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2020, 09:35 PM »
I use the foam setup as well.  I keep the plastic piece that attaches to the transducer because I can use it to get the transducer perfectly level.  Works great.

Pete

Are you doing this with the striker 4 cv plus transducer? I've seen guys do it with the striker 4 non plus transducer but not the big transducer from the plus model I have. If so can you please post a pic for me. Thanks

Offline peterk1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:20 AM »

Mine is just a Striker 4 Plus.  I bet you can do the same/similar with your set up.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:56 PM »
I have the same transducer. I attached it to a broomstick handle. I also drilled sequential holes in the broomstick to insert a cross-dowel for depth adjustment. Not the most ingenious solution but it works.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2020, 06:42 PM »
I did a similar thing with the foam....and you can adjust angle on bracket.

It's still kind of a pain.

I broke down and bought the iceducer because I could see the cable cracking eventually because it's not made for Northern Canada temps.

Will be trying tommorow.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2020, 06:22 PM »
I did a similar thing with the foam....and you can adjust angle on bracket.

It's still kind of a pain.

I broke down and bought the iceducer because I could see the cable cracking eventually because it's not made for Northern Canada temps.

Will be trying tommorow.

Hey 350 I'm also thinking about getting the ice ducer. Could you do some kind of a comparison of the two? I'm curious to know if there are any functional differences between them.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2020, 06:46 PM »
Just wondering why Garmin sells this Striker 4 as an open water model!! Why can't they sell a DEDICATED ICE MODEL that would come with the ICE TRANSDUCER instead of the big and bukly open water transducer?? I know they say well you can but the OPTIONAL ICE TRANSDUCER, then what do you do with the other transducer? I guess I will stick to my Marcums and cameras until they decide to sell a strictly ice fishing unit.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2020, 07:55 AM »
Just wondering why Garmin sells this Striker 4 as an open water model!! Why can't they sell a  that would come with the ICE TRANSDUCER instead of the big and bukly open water transducer?? I know they say well you can but the OPTIONAL ICE TRANSDUCER, then what do you do with the other transducer? I guess I will stick to my Marcums and cameras until they decide to sell a strictly ice fishing unit.

A quick search on the GARMIN website shows seven (7) different DEDICATED ICE MODELS, from the "STRIKER 5 Ice Fishing Bundle" on the low end right up to the "Panoptix Livescope Ice Fishing Bundle".
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2020, 07:22 AM »
The iceducer GT8HW works much better but 1 complaint.

It's a shallow water transducer.

I fish mostly 20-35 feet for Walleyes in winter.

Shallower in morning and evening.

Anyways it has 24deg cone angle so in 25+ feet of water IF there is a drop-off you will end up with a 16"-18" deadzone.

Plenty of room for a bottom hugging walleye to hide.

Wish they had a dual beam option with plain striker 4...

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2020, 07:26 AM »
I have the low end striker 5 ice bundle and love it. The beam angle can be set from 15-25 degrees. Can see togue and my jig at 100+ ft. Also can dual screen so you can see the flasher and the traditional/chirp sonar. In the summer I hang the tranduscer In a little bracket that hangs off my boat when I’m drifting or searching. Pick it up when I run.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2020, 07:32 AM »
I guess I should have researched more.

Apparently you can use a dual beam 7 deg/16 deg GT10 model with striker 4 using a 8pin to 4 pin adapter kit?

Anyone confirm this?

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2020, 07:46 AM »
I just found out my GT8 is actually a dual beam as well?

16-24deg.

Will set up for 16 deg next time out and report back.

DOH!!!

I was just about ready to order a GT,10!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2020, 08:40 AM »
Gt8 is not a dual beam.it has different cone angles tho.you lose alot of features running the gt8.cant run flasher and graph at the same time.its just a wide beam ducer thats good for icefishing.i have it on my striker 5.cant use clear view either.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2020, 10:32 AM »
Gt8 is not a dual beam.it has different cone angles tho.you lose alot of features running the gt8.cant run flasher and graph at the same time.its just a wide beam ducer thats good for icefishing.i have it on my striker 5.cant use live view either.

O
K

Thanks for info I like using graph/flasher split screen.

Would be nice to know before hand that GT10 would work....

I guess I will upgrade @ later date.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2020, 07:37 AM »
Gt8 is not a dual beam.it has different cone angles tho.you lose alot of features running the gt8.cant run flasher and graph at the same time.its just a wide beam ducer thats good for icefishing.i have it on my striker 5.cant use clear view either.

Are you sure you have your settings correct?

The guy in this video is using a GT8 and he is selecting cone angle on split screen?

https://youtu.be/

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2020, 03:01 PM »
Im running a striker 5 plus cv.i can switch from chirp to 200khz and run zoom split screen with ascope.switch cone angles too.i was just stating you lose clearvu and flasher with graph splitscreen.can run chirp and khz200 splitscreen but cant tell the difference.i like zoom 6 ft and full graph with Ascope running.flasher mode sucks imo compared to a vexilar.seems glitchy and flickers alot.its a good unit tho.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2020, 07:51 PM »
The iceducer GT8HW works much better but 1 complaint.

It's a shallow water transducer.

I fish mostly 20-35 feet for Walleyes in winter.

Shallower in morning and evening.

Anyways it has 24deg cone angle so in 25+ feet of water IF there is a drop-off you will end up with a 16"-18" deadzone.

Plenty of room for a bottom hugging walleye to hide.

Wish they had a dual beam option with plain striker 4...

Go into your settings, change the angle.  You can adjust it from 16-24 degrees in 1 degree increments.  The GT10HN transducer is a narrower cone, but much more expensive than the GT8HW.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2020, 06:50 AM »
 I got a chance to test the Striker 4(not a Plus unit).

Fishing in 28 ft.

Selected GT8 transducer.

Was able to manually adjust cone angle.

Works slick.

Way better reduction in bottom "dead zone".

Marking alot more fish....

Loving this little unit.

Offline ClamKrauter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2021, 01:27 PM »
I used a zip tie up by where the cord hooks into the transducer to double up the cable and angled the transom mount tilted forward to get a straight vertical angle.  Used the kiddy swim float cut about 4-6 inches with a section cut out length way, ran the cable through and double looped it.  Then took zip ties and went around swim float.  To adjust you just pull cable slack and slide whichever way you need to.  Works like a charm and all functions work on FF.

Good luck

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2021, 01:50 PM »

The guy in this video is using a GT8 and he is selecting cone angle on split screen?

The guy in that video is me lol.  Sorry I missed this thread back then.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.