Author Topic: Report from LML  (Read 15607 times)

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Report from LML
« Reply #90 on: Mar 26, 2009, 08:56 PM »
Sloughshark won't load on the mobile browser.  Will that be available eventually?
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Fishin34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • C&R
« Reply #91 on: Mar 27, 2009, 07:09 PM »
last weekend of ice fishing,how depressing is that? im going dusk till dawn all weekend, gonna try for some eyes tomorrow, and jack and burbot on sunday. good luck everyone, great season

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Mar 27, 2009, 08:37 PM »
Went out to Pelican Pte. and there were a half dozen trucks out there but none with duals.   I tried at the head of the point for a half hour then moved out to 15' and had a couple of taps, and when I wanted to go back to my first hole it was blown in and I couldn't find it!  Some people had 2 fish, some had 4, and some had none, but I only had steam to drill 2 holes so that was my afternoon.   I was down to the crank on my auger.   I did get my mail and check my place so it wasn't a wasted afternoon, and I was back for happy hour.  Maybe on Sunday - a last kick at the can?
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #93 on: Mar 28, 2009, 10:02 AM »
Well I hope you all have a great weekend out on LML I attempted to head out to PP this am, got all my gear loaded then relized my plates ran out yesterday and the SGI agent in town isnt open on weekend UUUUUUUrrrrrrrrg
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline firecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Mar 28, 2009, 11:16 AM »
heritage insurance in moosejaw is open today, the police will give ya a few hours grace, but ya wont get stopped anyway, no police on the highways.

Offline Outdoors guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Mar 28, 2009, 03:28 PM »
Just wondering how Regina Beach has been lately. Are you still able to drive on
I'd rather be fishing

Offline Fishin34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • C&R
« Reply #96 on: Mar 28, 2009, 03:41 PM »
heard a car went through the ice at regina beach recently, but saw trucks on the ice today, havent been out yet, going right now, Ill drive by the launch

Offline GrampaRam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Mar 28, 2009, 10:17 PM »
Hey Guys. Great day at PP. 7 Burbot up to 7.7 LBS. Firecat why were you not there. I caught 2-no "resting" for me today lol. I will post pics tommorow or Monday. Off to Blackstrap tommorow. Eating Deep fried Burbo done in garlic and butter mix and seasoning salt right now Ummmmmmm. See you on the water.
BE GOOD TO YOUR GRANDCHILDREN THEY WILL HAVE TO HELP YOU INTO THE 4X4 SOMEDAY

Offline Outdoors guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Mar 29, 2009, 12:06 PM »
Heading out to Regina Beach today for the last time till next year. Hoping for a good day will post results when i get back
I'd rather be fishing

Offline Outdoors guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Mar 29, 2009, 03:58 PM »
Went out today for a couple hours. Set up a tip up right off the sand bar in like 4ft of water hoping for a pike. Half hour later saw the tip up go up and started to bring it in and it was a 9pound burbot. Rather slow day after that
I'd rather be fishing

Offline firecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Mar 29, 2009, 06:49 PM »
was on duty saturday gramps, nice to know your resting payed off, was at weetoo this morn, a few bites but nothing iced, then ice auger ran outa gas, so we quit, and ice auger now is put away till this coming winter. so bring on the warmth and may 2nd.

Offline Fishin34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • C&R
« Reply #101 on: Mar 29, 2009, 09:45 PM »
Went out today for a about 6 hours looking for walleye. Was up north, can't say where I was at extactly, traded a guy for a spot, and gotta respect his right to keep it hush. It was a a weird day out there, I could only get them to bite on this one gold t-tot, but couldn't bring any up. felt like I was just a split second off. I figured the hook must have been dull, so I sharped it up really well, then the bites kinda died down. still had a fun day, I'm gonna read up on on eyes this summer and get back at em next year. Think I migth have to go out tomorrow for a bit and ice one more pike or burbot for the season.

on another note. Any good hunting forums for sask? Never been before, but looking to try it out this season. cheers, and thanks for all the help this year.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #102 on: Mar 30, 2009, 07:18 PM »
Good job on the fish who were iced this weekend. :)
Nice big burbot GrampaRam. 8)

On March 26th my uncle and I went back to Last Mountain Lake for one more try at burbot before our ice fishing season ends.

It was a sunny, but windy, day on the ice. The temp was around the - 7 C mark, but with the wind chill, much colder, more like early winter than early spring. ::)

There were no anglers on the ice so we set up in the general area as before and were ready for some action by 1.30 pm.

One angler stopped and talked to us for a min. He said he was fishing all morning for perch and walleye around the Sorenson's Beach area and never had a single bite the whole time.
We finally had 2 anglers set up a few 100 yards South of us and they would be the only other group out there all day.

Around 3.00pm the action finally started, and I ice the first fish of the day,
a  5.1 lb burbot.

with a few more to follow.

4.6lbs

3.9lbs

In the time, I had the 3 burbot, one larger battled scared pike bit the line off.
My uncle lost 3 burbot just under the ice and coming up the hole.

I though I would take a group photo before we repacked the gear.

By the time we were packed it was dark.
I though I would try for a little bit of night fishing.  Others have said it can be good.
I fish for a few minutes without much luck, so, I switch lures, and, 5 minutes in, I feel a good thump.
My uncle turns on the truck lights and I wrestle with the fish.
As I get it part way up the hole I see it's a good sized burbot.
It then rolled into tight ball and won't budge. :-\
I have no choice but to go up to my elbow into the frigid water to grab the gill plate or lower jaw. :P

She is finally iced and I hold before me a nice healthy 8.6 lb burbot who poses in the head light of the truck. :tipup:

Over the afternoon I see 2 pike,{same one 3 times before it bites}, 13 burbot with only 4 that were actually hungry, a pair of white suckers and a whole school of large whitefish.

The lures of choice were storm wildeye swim shads. One also bit on a smelt.

It was a good day on the ice with a few more burbot to feed the family during the April off season.

Sat., March 28th, was our annual Wildlife Federation awards night and banquet.
I entered 2 waterfowl last fall and took 2nd in the snow goose category. :)

The snow goose weighed in at - 6lbs 12oz.

I also took home 1st, and the regional trophy, for the largest Canada goose entered. ;D

The Canada goose weighed in at -12lbs 10.5oz.

I was also lucky at the raffle table draws too. :woot:
I won a hat & bag, an impact wrench, a blanket and the big prize of a complete patio set with  umbrella and folding chairs.   
Now why can't that kind of luck hold when I'm fishing??? ??? 

All in all it was a very fun and unique couple of days for me.
I am not sure if the burbot fishing will be my last day on the ice, but if so, it has been a blast.
Looking forward to the new open water season soon. ;)2

WW  

Offline Outdoors guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Mar 30, 2009, 11:22 PM »
Nice fish the burbot i caught on sunday like you said also bit on a smelt, i thought it was completely strange because i was just fishing for pike but all of a sudden i see the tip up go up and i pulled up a big burbot. I was also suprised because i was out sunday and there was only 2 other groups out there 
I'd rather be fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.