Author Topic: Qu'Apelle Lakes  (Read 57886 times)

Offline Extreme Sask Angling

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ESA
Re: Qu'Apelle Lakes
« Reply #60 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:20 PM »
been out the last 3 weekends on Echo, and right by the store we are having good luck with the Perch and Walleye. They are hitting the mud bugs with minnow heads and once we switched to eyes the bite was on! That being said bought a new auger the Jiffy 4g 10 inch and she's a real pain in the A** to start in the cold ???... any suggestions or information would be appreciated!

Some jiffys you have to hold the throttle all the way down with the choke on to get them started.
The ice angler is a different breed of fisherman. Undeterred by distance, daylight or degrees, these warriors go to extreme measures to chase down the fish attempting to wait out winter below the frozen surface. Through 10-inch holes positioned amidst miles of ice they engage the elusive walleye one-by-one, yeah it's crazy, and some may never understand it.

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Some jiffys you have to hold the throttle all the way down with the choke on to get them started.

is a 4 stoke so no choke

been out the last 3 weekends on Echo, and right by the store we are having good luck with the Perch and Walleye. They are hitting the mud bugs with minnow heads and once we switched to eyes the bite was on! That being said bought a new auger the Jiffy 4g 10 inch and she's a real pain in the A** to start in the cold ???... any suggestions or information would be appreciated!

i have the pro 4 and they are the same motor just one is propane and one gas, but my pro 4 i have to hold the trottle about half to start it when its cold out and keep holding for like 5 seconds then it runs awesome, mine has been awesome though

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:53 PM »
hope that helps

Offline Broom Jockey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:11 PM »
A few years back the 3hp jiffys were coming out of the box with carbs that needed adjusting.  Seeing as this is the new 4 stroke I don't know if you can adjust the carb the same way.  There are jiffy videos on youtube however that may solve your problem.
videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=da
Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies.

Offline MJP1980

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gettin jiggy with it... In a non perverted way!
« Reply #64 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Thanks for the input fella's... The 4g has a choke on it, they say prime until there are no bubbles in the fuel line, throttle full open pull once and then choke to half and 4-5 pulls and it should start. I found on new years eve when we were out that if you prime it as recommended and full choke full throttle it started in 4 pulls... It reminds me of my old 97 Polaris XLT lol.... Once we got it running there was never an issue with re starting it, so I wonder if maybe it was just because it was brand new???
Fish, sleep, hunt, fish sleep, beer, fish, hunt, hunt, hunt, fish, sleep, beer.... Repeat as often as needed!

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:36 PM »

Jiffy's are hard to start in the cold, they all are and always will be. I still own a jiffy though, couldn't get over the price.

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:49 PM »
Ok I didn't think they had a choke but I guess I was wrong

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Jiffy's are hard to start in the cold, they all are and always will be. I still own a jiffy though, couldn't get over the price.
My pro 4 starts first or second pull all the time even at minus 28

Offline cballs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • STX Pro II, Clam Trapper/BaseCamp, HBird45
« Reply #68 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:00 PM »
I was on Crooked on Sat. Bite was good all day, half dozen perch, biggest was 12", 2 nice Wally's 18 and 24", and lost count of the 2 to 3 lb pike, and one ugly dog that snapped my line and took a buckshot with him.  Flasher was showing fish at 2 to 4 ft off of bottom all day and except for the big walleye and the dog that's where I was catching them.
Here fishy...fishy...fishy!

Offline MJP1980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Jan 05, 2013, 06:39 PM »
went out today and no issues with the new auger what so ever... only needed to drill 2 holes as the fishing started slow but picked up after a few lure changes!
Fish, sleep, hunt, fish sleep, beer, fish, hunt, hunt, hunt, fish, sleep, beer.... Repeat as often as needed!

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 05, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Planning on going to Pasqua with the kids tommorow.  Wondering what the access at Lutheran is like? Can I get on with a van?  Thanx for any info.  :) ???

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:06 PM »
was out at pasqua again today slow day between 5 of us got dozen little eyes, a perch, 3 burbot, and 7 pike biggest was 12 pounds.

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:16 PM »
antone catching perch on pasqua haven't been able a find them caught one today thats it

Offline emmysdad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:23 PM »
Planning on going to Pasqua with the kids tommorow.  Wondering what the access at Lutheran is like? Can I get on with a van?  Thanx for any info.  :) ???

Any time I've been there you just park at the gate and walk in.

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:44 PM »
hunt2001, how is the access at the east end?

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #75 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:52 PM »
What's a matter Killemfish, u don't want to walk on!!! :laugh: lmao!!!

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:14 PM »
No, but i should, could loose some weight! LOL

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Ok, thanks for the info emmysdad! :)

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:08 PM »
hunt2001, how is the access at the east end?
Good you can get on with anything

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:27 PM »
Thanx for the info, will try there tommorow! :)

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Thanx for the info, will try there tommorow! :)
It's really slow there right now  my shack is there pike are biting in like 8 fow  and the small walleye let me know how you make out but the perch should pick up soon I hope

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:36 PM »
Ok, seems to be like this everywhere? Just hope we can catch something steady for the day.

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:39 PM »

If you do, be careful past two seasons in the van we got stuck on the ice and that is NOT fun. Or would get on the ice, then not be able to get off it. So got a truck now and it's all good!

Offline MrBuckShot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:44 AM »
all the boat launches are good seen alot of car and vans on the ice yesterday went to a few of my hot spots but extremely slow got 5 eyes 2 perch 2 pike didnt mark muh on the flasher i hope it picks up again soon

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:02 PM »
all the boat launches are good seen alot of car and vans on the ice yesterday went to a few of my hot spots but extremely slow got 5 eyes 2 perch 2 pike didnt mark muh on the flasher i hope it picks up again soon
Ya we had the van out  yesterday it is smooth sailing

Offline Indianwilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 06, 2013, 01:36 PM »
Was out on mission on Saturday caught about 20-25 fish in about three hours between two of us.  Mostly tiny eyes any ideas where the bigger eyes are?

Offline Gmoney21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 06, 2013, 02:36 PM »
Was out on echo yesterday and same thing. Lots of small eyes in about 30 ft and a few perch but no eaters. Tried in shallow and nothing there either. Still a beautiful day on the ice and got to play around with the new lx7.

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 06, 2013, 03:51 PM »
Ended up fishing Echo today, instead of Pasqua. Very slow! Fished 10-1:30, only 2 perch and a tiny eye! Maybe I should have tryed Pasqua!LOL :-\

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 06, 2013, 04:11 PM »
Ended up fishing Echo today, instead of Pasqua. Very slow! Fished 10-1:30, only 2 perch and a tiny eye! Maybe I should have tryed Pasqua!LOL :-\

sounds like all the chain lakes are slow the last week

Offline MJP1980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 06, 2013, 05:44 PM »
We normally go to Echo or Pasqua, but I thought I would try out the hype at Collingwood and man that hype is for real. Started off slow but after a few lure changes and some patience I started nailing the perch, and by perch I mean Jumbo's, 12-14 inchers one after the other, never caught perch that big before so consistently, a couple decent Wally's but threw them back to get bigger... That was saturday, Sunday we were told that Little arm by Regina beach was good for walleye, sat there all morning caught on decent pike and a tulliby.... Back to to echo and Pasqua next weekend.... maybe a week day trip to Collingwood during the week! I am curious to see what it's like there when there are less fishermen out there... If anyone cares, I am having fantastic luck with the PK flutterbaits a quality lure that works very well!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.