Author Topic: Blackstrap  (Read 52278 times)

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
Blackstrap
« on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Just wondering where the best place is to fish on Blackstrap at first ice?? I'm new to the lake and just wondering if anyone has any pointers or info. Thx!

Has anyone checked Blackstrap for ice thickness recently?

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blackstrap
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:19 PM »
I was at the pump house on the north end tonight, and there is 4-5'' of good solid ice.  Didnt bring any gear though, im saving that for the weekend. As for spots, PM me

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2010, 10:57 AM »
Try Evans Road near the pumphouse, its an old submerged road where the fish (walleye) like to hang out, some good weed beds and drop offs there also.

There is a sign on Hwy 11 where all the new development is, turn down the road and park at the pumphouse

Good Luck!  take some pics and post em!

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2010, 11:47 AM »
so is evans road south of the causeway?

thx for the info!

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2010, 04:04 PM »
im not sure where the dam is?  lol

but i know how to get on the lake on the northend!

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2010, 05:45 PM »
I haven't fished Evans road much in the winter, but have had decent luck in the summer. I'll agree with Tech, the north end seems to be where it's at for the Strap in terms of pike and walleye. That said, if I'm hankering for some reasonable sized perch, I fish south side of the causeway (various locations). Seems the lower numbers predators in the south allows the perch to get a big bigger. Still nothing to brag about, but better than the 4 inchers that plague the north end, those little buggers cost me $5 in meal worms every time I go out there.

Offline tbor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2010, 07:59 PM »
Could a guy easily walk on the ice from the Thode area? I have not been there at all, but I asume you can.  I have taken that road that goes down before the far south end road and tried there with no luck.  Also, I wonder about the far south end. Is it easily accessible with, say, a car?  Unfortunately, a car is all I have at the moment, so I need to be conscious of the accessiblity of the lake.

Fishing is zen.

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:15 PM »
just wondering?

is the dam located on the northeast part of the lake?

or am i way off?   lol  :tipup:

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:43 PM »
I see year after year of success at Blackstrap.  It is a small resivour - smaller than buffalo.  How over the years (unless you are all full of fish stories) has Blackstrap maintained a good fish population? conservation? not many fisherman? you dont know what your doing ;)?  I am truly frustrated at Buffalo pound we have good success for walley in the summer, the odd good perch  - truly my fore fathers fault used to take them out of the lake by the garbage bag, in the "no limit days".  Same goes for dogs I dont think there is one left in te lake.  Pike good numbers not a lot of size a hit and very miss fishery in the winter.  Blackstrap is close to Saskatoon, Buffalo close to Moose Jaw. WAY more people to fish out of Saskatoon why better fishsing there. Anyways thats my rant hope we are on thick ice within the week tight lines, cold drinks, warm shantys and RIDERS DESTROY THOSE POUTINE EATING frogs. ;D
Blake from Elbow

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:58 PM »
One of the big reasons I think Blackstrap has maintained a sustainable fishery over the last few years (10 years ago or so, Blackstrap was in real trouble) is due to the implementation of barbless regulations, and the 2 walleye restriction.  It would be nice to see the occasional CO patrol through, but I guess you can't always get what you want...

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:39 PM »
And the fact that alot of guys have no idea how to fish there..

Offline tbor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2010, 01:03 AM »
Anyone planning on trying the strap this weekend?

Fishing is zen.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2010, 11:56 AM »
I have heard that before about perch populations. I might just be to impatient, we have seen an increase in the perch the last two years.  Buffalo has a limit of 10 on perch right now that should help.  Still frustrated with the walleye in the winter.   >:(
Blake from Elbow

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2010, 12:27 PM »
If anyone tries south of the causeway today or tomorrow, please report back on ice conditions. Sure they're similar to the north end, but would be nice to get a confirmed report before I head out.

Offline tbor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2010, 01:54 PM »
If anyone tries south of the causeway today or tomorrow, please report back on ice conditions. Sure they're similar to the north end, but would be nice to get a confirmed report before I head out.

Me too. I think I am going to out on Saturday, but will be alone and not too sure of the ice yet. Should be just fine, but you never know.

Fishing is zen.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2010, 04:59 PM »
 just tie yourself off to yr bumper, wear a life jacket, have yr picks handy and get at 'er!  always had our best luck at first ice on blackstrap, by far.  good luck!

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Blackstrap is also much deeper than Buffalo.  I think it doesn't take long for the oxygen to deplete with all the weeds rotting, and the walleyes just become very lethargic.
Still counting.....

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2010, 09:01 PM »
well got on blackstrap this afternoon at the northend!

all our hits came on tipups except one.  only landed one pike about 2 #s.

couldnt keep em on!  not sure why????????????

had 7 bites in all!  so a pretty good start.   5 inches of ice everywhere i drilled!

going out tomorrow morning again to try that same spot!

Any pointers on why im losing so many fish??  lol

Offline walleyeguy1985

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2010, 11:28 PM »
Hey guys, Haven't posted for awhile. I'm heading out to the pumphouse tomorrow and just wanted to see if anyone was gonna be in that area. I'm hittin the ice alone so if no one is planning on being in that area I might head to the north end. Early ice I just like to be around people just in case. Cheers guys and good luck this weekend!
GO RIDERS GO!!!!

Offline tbor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2010, 06:36 AM »
just tie yourself off to yr bumper, wear a life jacket, have yr picks handy and get at 'er!  always had our best luck at first ice on blackstrap, by far.  good luck!

I have no life jacket and no picks. I may just try to be around others that could pull  me out... I have lots of rope? ha ha 

I just got off a 7 hr shift  (it's 6:30 am), and may not go. i feel pretty tired, but the thought of fishing is waking me up...

I was thinking of trying the south end. Never had any luck there, but would like to try it out. I will post the results if I go regardless of where.

Fishing is zen.

Offline team top-it

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2010, 12:10 PM »
Any luck out there today????????Cant wait to go might try sun morning for a bit.
CRAPPIE HUNTER!

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2010, 06:55 PM »
We got 7 jacks today.Was a wonderful day to be fishing!! ;D ;D

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:10 PM »
we fished the north end this morning for about 3 hours and iced to small pike!

pretty decent.  a few got off!

anybody having luck with some bigger fish??   :tipup:

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:19 PM »
engineman where did u try fishing?

any bigger ones?

thats a good day though!

prob go tomorow morning!

new to the lake, so just trying to find some diffeent areas totry!

:tipup:

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:21 PM »
Went to the north end. There you have to use big bait for big fish. Was a fun day, no real big ones .

Offline tbor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:56 PM »
wento the north end. I was trying for perch, but only little ones.  Only saw one pike.  I am going somewhere else next time. I must have drilled 10 holes and there was a consistent 5 " everywhere. ITS ON!

Fishing is zen.

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2010, 08:39 PM »
ive found that when there just hitting it and we were missing alot, dont run up to your tipup, with the thin ice, sometimes the noise scares them away.  just stand back and watch.  wait for the second good run and then slowly sneak up to your tip up.  also i found only to set the hook when the it is spinning like crazy.  sometimes too they are swimming back towards ya, so a guy might think he lost it b/c of the slack in the line but it is still on usually.  hope this helps, took me 13 missed hits in a row to figure this out a few years ago up on tobin.  ever since then, i would say over 85 percent of the flags recover a fish.
Fishing is a tough job, but im willing to Tackle it!

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 27, 2010, 09:21 PM »

This is my first fish of the season on a tipup...

Offline Yellow_Rhino_

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2010, 03:02 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This is my first fish of the season on a tipup...
          Nice fish!!!   was there perch around???? 

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2010, 09:14 PM »
we didnt fish for them and we only seen a few swim by!

but the deepest we fished was about 15 feet!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.