Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Flasher on Shallow Water  (Read 7202 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Flasher on Shallow Water
« Reply #30 on: Nov 06, 2020, 06:42 AM »
Thank you! I just started ice fishing last year and appreciate the tips

Get yourself a copy of the In-Fisherman Ice Fishing Secrets book ..great read .Its an old book but the information still hold very true ...its the companion read to above video ..If you can get your hands on the Ice Fishing Secrets II DVD/video thats more detailed for the jigging man I believe.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 09, 2020, 12:35 PM »
i can run my lx5 in 3' of water and do all the time in some of the canals we have.  You don't have to but i do.   outside of the low end vexilars they should all even show you fish. 

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 09, 2020, 12:38 PM »
Anyone ever go to the backwaters on the Mississippi 2-6ft with a locator and get there ass handed to them by the guy working the water column?

no.  I hear about these elusive people but have never ran into them personally.  i've run into plenty who tell me they dont' need a flasher but after an hour of so of fishing around us using one, they begin to ask questions as if they are now in shopping mode.   and we aren't even really that good at fishing. 

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 15, 2020, 11:20 AM »
Reviving this thread because I have a follow up question related to all the great info...
When fishing very shallow (4-6 ft deep) local city ponds, making a flasher mainly only good for marking depth and not fish, how do you all go about fishing the water column to find fish? Do you start close to the bottom and jig your way up? Or do you start jogging just below the ice and work your way deeper? Thanks in advance for the advice!
Well Beardcat, let me offer my experience from the last 10 years of fishing shallow water, 2 to 7 ft. I always bring my FL-22 with me but I don't always use it. When I need it, I really need it, but if I can do without it I will.
Always fish from just under the ice down. Your first drop down a new hole or returning to a hole after a few minute break, is the most important drop. Don't do it casually, give it your utmost attention. Often there are fish so close to the ice that the flasher misses them.
Fishing the column gives you at least 3 shots at 3 different species. Crappies typically ride high in the column, I swear in super shallow water their dorsal fins scrape the ice. I have caught slabs under 2 ft. of ice and less that 2 ft. of water. You could not get a bite that day deeper than 4" to 6" under the ice. I tied a knot of colored line on my main line and set it to show me 4" under the ice.
Some of the largest gills you catch will come super close to the ice, but I think it is because they are the most aggressive, spot the offering from farther down but rush up. Then the bulk of the gill school will be deeper.
Next come the perch, when I get a perch higher up in the column I am surprised, but again I think it is an aggressive fish that has spotted your dropping lure and is out competing other school mates. I get most of my perch tight to the bottom. I often see mud on the lower jaw/lip on perch from grubbing blood worms out of the mud.
I give each hole 3 cycles. I fish from the ice down slowly to the bottom. Thump the bottom 3 to 6 times then fish up slowly to the ice, then repeat. Three cycles, no fish, on to the next hole.
Many times I have seen anglers married to the their flasher patiently working the marks of those ofter smaller fish near the bottom, when all the biggest, most aggressive, desirable fish will come much higher in the column and frequently on a larger lure. The guys rockin' the flasher using small to tiny jigs tipped with live bait are usually bringing quite a few fish top side, but are they really the fish we want? I'll happily take fewer but larger specimens on spoons, Rembrandts, larger sized Purists, and jigs and plastics. It is actually hard to fish a Rembrandt that is too large if your target fish are just Crappies.

Offline Beardcat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 15, 2020, 01:47 PM »
Thanks Duke! I like your methodical approach and will definitely try it. We don’t have any perch in the local ponds that I fish most often; does banging the bottom call in bluegills (even small ones that your referenced)?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Nov 15, 2020, 02:18 PM »
Thanks Duke! I like your methodical approach and will definitely try it. We don’t have any perch in the local ponds that I fish most often; does banging the bottom call in bluegills (even small ones that your referenced)?

Banging the bottom brings all them to the yard ..my method is fish from the top down..eventually getting to and banging the bottom if need be ..trying to pick off the most aggressive fish as i move down ..sometimes that means the smaller ones ..but most times its the larger ones .. crappies and other sun fish ..perch in my are dont usually rise more then 3 feet from bottom . Fish above the weeds ..in the pockets of a weed bed .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 27, 2020, 07:29 PM »
Yes Beardcat, banging the bottom will get gills some days. I am always amazed when I reread my journals, just how many different techniques it takes to produce fish over the course of the season.

I screwed up this Fall by not picking the golden rod galls earlier. By the time I checked mine the Downy Wood Peckers had eaten all of the grubs. There are always a couple of days each Winter when a #18 jig and a single Golden Rod grub on 1# test line will get you some quality fish when every other technique fails to produce.

Duke

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 29, 2020, 03:07 PM »
vexilars are not very good in shallow water. Marcums are even worse as the non digital ones have a 2.5' dead zone at top.

My humminbird ice unit shows my jig from 6" on down and works very well in shallow water. I fish a lot of 18"-3' of dirty water, and while it doesn't provide a huge advantage it does show me when a fish is looking at my jig and doesnt bite.. You arent going to hole hop to mark fish or anything, your area of coverage is tiny. But it will show you your jig, a fish looking at the jig, and what he liked or didnt like about you jigging. You have to be sure and have your jig straight below your transducer, even other side of the hole is too far away sometimes.

When I put my vex in LP mode, and the wide 20* beam.....I can mark. Haven't noticed a difference between that Humminbird.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.