New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1092230 times)

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm thinking Superior might have ice, seems to freeze the fastest. I measured 12" of ice there while White Lake and Toronto had 8".

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
I'm thinking Superior might have ice, seems to freeze the fastest. I measured 12" of ice there while White Lake and Toronto had 8".
the only reason it WAS thicker is because its smaller and far shallower than both those lakes. I was there Saturday and it was wide open with whitecaps!

GIVE IT UP....
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Low temps in single digits this throughout next week. There is still a chance for the weekend of the 18th. Never lose hope.....

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
...if the wind dies soon, see you out there!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Low temps in single digits this throughout next week. There is still a chance for the weekend of the 18th. Never lose hope.....

not with the snow coming tuesday into wednesday

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think a few here brought back too much of that Colorado gold stuff and just can't focus or you're democrats and can't accept a loss. I live in Forestburgh and just cleaned up 8 inches of fresh snow but there is NO ICE and a few days of single digit temps won't bring it back. Just try to face reality and think about a nice opening day of trout season in 21 days.

If I drove by SWB and saw a guy out there I would be calling the AM BU LANCE and Fire Rescue guys my brother directs. Give it up, stow your ice gear and get ready for open water fishing.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
I hope your kidding about calling emergency services. If you saw just head and shoulders and guy struggling of course. But if someone was just out there enjoying himself then mind your own beezwax. Not only will you be harassing that fisherman but could be taking resources away from a REAL emergency.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well, I guess it's time for some pre-spawn largies then.

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
Time to put away the gear unfortunately but the crappies have been biting and there are are some decent stripers already in the Hudson. Good luck to all my brothers and sisters of the hardwater. Until next year tightlines to all.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I hope your kidding about calling emergency services. If you saw just head and shoulders and guy struggling of course. But if someone was just out there enjoying himself then mind your own beezwax. Not only will you be harassing that fisherman but could be taking resources away from a REAL emergency.

Once again Jiignut you have missed my tongue in cheek comment. Last week I was watching white caps on the local waters but go ahead and go ice fishing if you dare. :cookoo:

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sadly, my lake was 3/4 ice early this morning, then the wind woke up. No ice left, it looks like the naysayers were correct. And 9-13 inches snow possible Tuesday!  Winter but no ice fishing sucks!

Offline JasonP718

• IceShanty Rookie
Stripers in the Hudson already where?  :o

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Agree with gamalot ..why bother risking drowning in ice water when opener offers so much from shore or boat in a few weeks! You diehards have no idea posting jibberish extended refreeze of safe ice fishing.. GAM try liberty 7.99 big bottle! Smooth red cab lol..hope all is well going to spoon from shore ice out opener for trout on NYC resi soon..use a crocodile 1/4 oz blue silver you'll catch nice trout!..BTW going to try that nanofil 6lb green steelhead tiny steel head barrel to fluorocarbon 8 lb leader perfect..keep casting spinning quality ultra light combo..land some monster Brown trout !

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gibberish! Ha.
I've been walking on the ice for over fifty years, in the same spot, trust me, I know my ice. If there had been no wind, I would be ice fishing in a couple of days.... I'm only talking about me, those who have to travel to water, well...Not starting a pi$$ing contest..

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gibberish! Ha.
I've been walking on the ice for over fifty years, in the same spot, trust me, I know my ice. If there had been no wind, I would be ice fishing in a couple of days.... I'm only talking about me, those who have to travel to water, well...Not starting a pi$$ing contest..

No Pi$$ing match. Those who are here and know the protected coves and have access to them could possibly be fishing now. Anyone who gets on to SWB from the public launch better have a boat. I know guys who will fish on 2 inches and back in the early 1960s I did it myself. Not today at 65 and I damn sure won't advise anyone from out of this area to come ice fishing this week and I don't care how cold these next few nights are.

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
True indeed Gamalot, I'm getting cabin fever and let loose!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
True indeed Gamalot, I'm getting cabin fever and let loose!

20 days until trout opener! You can make it after this next storm which could be a real doozie!

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
GAM  is right for deep swb even the back coves not worth a fish.. Even them shallower ponds with at best few I Che's of blackice from this cold week..big risk over what a few own fish! Lol save it for open water ..I only lost to warn that it is and will dangerous this late season for what ice if any these few days

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
fishing on 2 inches of ice.... I have a float suit and still won't do it.... or maybe I will haven't decided it yet. After i test my suit out in the open water to see how it reacts I'll have more info

Offline serge99

• IceShanty Rookie
BlueSail, how is your spot lookin' today?

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
There is a big difference in two inches of ice made When the sun is at more of any angle and it is dec. or  jan.  then what has been going on lately. I just got back from Ohio, and the forsithea are blooming!!!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good thing we arent in Ohio!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I wish we were in Ohio! we wouldnt be getting a foot of snow!  :%$#!: gonna hurt the ice big time!

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
BlueSail, how is your spot lookin' today?

I walked on the windy side of the lake where the ice chunks have been collecting, but did not try my "spot", though it is solid...6° this Monday AM, I'd bet it is safe now.
There were few open spots in the middle of lake, but far enough away from my perch flats!
Work today, so no fishing (or even ice prospecting), and the up to 2 ft snow starting tonite will likely ruin it  >:( .
It appears I was one day away from a last hurrah. Time to prep the sailboat!

Is it December yet?   ;D

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
We took a nice Sunday drive yesterday. Went to the Roundout and Neversink Reservoirs and then up to Swan Lake & White Lake passed by Swinging Bridge and back home. Never saw any ice except in a couple coves and nothing but white caps on every lake we went by. There are 2 ponds close to my home and both did have a thin coat of new ice but nothing I would dare to step a foot on. I was checking the conditions for April 1 to decide where I will fish on opening day.

With 1 - 2 feet of snow coming tonight through Wednesday I will be staying home, cleaning up the mess and switching over my gear from ice to open water fishing and I suggest you all just do the same. BTW, Check the expiration dates on your NY fishing licenses because they expire exactly one year from the date you bought them. It will be just my luck to nail a nice walleye while trout fishing and have to let it go with the season closed after March 15th.

See you all next year.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Funny I have caught some nice browns this time of year walleye fishing!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
BTW, Check the expiration dates on your NY fishing licenses because they expire exactly one year from the date you bought them.

My fishing license doesn't expire  :unsure:

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
So much for a blizzard... down on LI we only got 3 inches of slush and sleet  :(. You guys upstate probably got hammered though.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So much for a blizzard... down on LI we only got 3 inches of slush and sleet  :(. You guys upstate probably got hammered though.

Hard to give any kind of exact measure but I just blew it off the driveway for the third time today. On an average I will say between 22-24 inches but I have drifts over 36 inches in a lot of spots and it gave my Kubota tractor with a 50 inch blower a good workout today. Snow began here just before 11 last night and at 6 AM we had a full foot on the ground. It is still snowing and blowing so I will be out again tonight or in the morning clearing a few more inches and the drifts.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hard to give any kind of exact measure but I just blew it off the driveway for the third time today. On an average I will say between 22-24 inches but I have drifts over 36 inches in a lot of spots and it gave my Kubota tractor with a 50 inch blower a good workout today. Snow began here just before 11 last night and at 6 AM we had a full foot on the ground. It is still snowing and blowing so I will be out again tonight or in the morning clearing a few more inches and the drifts.

Wish I could just blow away the snow like that lol... we got about 3-4 inches of heavy, wet snow and ice. Definitely wasn't fun to shovel. Anyways, stay safe out there

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.