Author Topic: Salmo Darters or Others  (Read 1560 times)

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Salmo Darters or Others
« on: Jan 13, 2007, 09:21 PM »
Anyone out there ever use them?? I picked one up today- $6.99 at Gander Mntn, are they worth it? Just curious.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Salmo Darters or Others
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2007, 09:26 PM »
Some guys swear by these, so I picked up a few myself, grabbed a few sizes and colours. Try adding a dropping to one from crappies.....

If you find Slipbob he will give you the goods on these, Im hoping after we get ice I will also be singing there praises

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2007, 09:33 PM »
You always use a swivel like they recommend? Do you tip it with anything, or is it truly a "baitfree" lure like they claim?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:10 AM »
I personally dont use a swivel, and I only tip them when I have the dropper rigged hooked up. other then that I have been using it baitless

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2007, 03:24 PM »
I have a nice little assortment of darters and have had pretty good luck with them.  I'm sure slipbob would also give some good pointers as I know he swears by them, but here's mine.  Don't use swivels, either tie directly to the line or use the no-knot fasteners.  When you jig them you don' need to jig them aggressively like a madman.  They get plenty good action by just raising them up like you would any other jig.  I've had the majority of my strikes on the downward run or while just letting the chubby darter sit above bottom.  I never tip mine either.  My best results have came with perch color or the LOD's, and the smallest in size (can't rememember the size #'s).  Hope this helps.

hali-man

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2007, 03:33 PM »
I also use a snap, no swivel.
My favorite color is Roach (gold/black) in both smaller sizes.
No bait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.